Home Forum Articles Sponsors Affiliates CP Map Chat FAQ TOS
Go Back   Trophs.com > Tropheus Forums > Tropheus Tanks & Equipment

Notices

Tropheus Tanks & Equipment Discussion of tanks, filters, heaters, lighting, UV and other equipment.

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1  
Old 02-19-2012
khangho05's Avatar
khangho05
Status: Offline
Senior Member
 
::Profile::
Join Date: Feb 2011
Posts: 118
Thanks: 17
Thanked 5 Times in 5 Posts
Default Acrylic bow when full filled.

Hi all.
I have a quick question that when I filled up my 180g 4' long 30" tall Acrylic and I noticed the sides (1/2" thick acrylic) bowed out in the middle. Is this normal for acrylic or should I be worry? This is my first acrylic and I just emptied it to get the fact straight before I fill back up.
Thanks in advance.
Khang
Reply With Quote
  #2  
Old 02-19-2012
JimA's Avatar
JimA
Status: Offline
Senior Member
 
::Profile::
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: Bellingham,Washington
Keeping: Red Rainbows inda house
Posts: 1,194
Thanks: 326
Thanked 161 Times in 138 Posts
Default

Normal.
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 02-19-2012
trophsinmiami
Status: Offline
Senior Member
 
::Profile::
Join Date: Feb 2012
Posts: 101
Thanks: 0
Thanked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Default

Glass or Acryllic both bow out when full. Water is heavy as ****.
Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old 02-19-2012
playtime's Avatar
playtime
Status: Offline
Senior Member
 
::Profile::
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Canada
Keeping: moori mbita'ikola'illangi'
Age: 36
Posts: 362
Thanks: 29
Thanked 29 Times in 27 Posts
Send a message via MSN to playtime Send a message via Yahoo to playtime
Default

make sure that it has a top or brace on it not supposed to bow out that much for you to notice it you should have a top piece installed or put on three brace one on each side and one in middle
__________________
playtime aquatics
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old 02-19-2012
JkdJedi's Avatar
JkdJedi
Status: Offline
Senior Member
 
::Profile::
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: Coachella, California.
Age: 51
Posts: 1,513
Thanks: 121
Thanked 120 Times in 111 Posts
Images: 11
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimA View Post
Normal.
+1 Normal
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old 02-19-2012
khangho05's Avatar
khangho05
Status: Offline
Senior Member
 
::Profile::
Join Date: Feb 2011
Posts: 118
Thanks: 17
Thanked 5 Times in 5 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by playtime View Post
make sure that it has a top or brace on it not supposed to bow out that much for you to notice it you should have a top piece installed or put on three brace one on each side and one in middle
yes it has the top with two window cut out and three holes for overflow.
Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old 02-20-2012
Mastiffman
Status: Offline
Senior Member
 
::Profile::
Join Date: Oct 2010
Age: 40
Posts: 4,502
Thanks: 960
Thanked 889 Times in 733 Posts
Images: 17
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by khangho05 View Post
yes it has the top with two window cut out and three holes for overflow.
Normal to point... How much is it bowing out. 1/2" or less on a tank that tall and you are fine. It's bowing becasue of skimping on the build materials to keep costs down. Anything over 24" in height should be made of 3/4" Cell Cast. As long as it's good and properly built cell cast though, you shouldn't have any issues. but keep an eye on the seams as well, as once crazing starts and heads into the end of the pane of acrylic, you may want to start thinking about a new tank. Not saying that it;s goign to happen but just in case you start to wonder.

There is also something called "shelling". It's when the bond of a joint starts to fail from typically not setting up the tank on a level surface. Instead of the seam being clear or even only having a little bit of crazing that ":doesn't" affecet the ends of the panes of acylic, it will look white and typically in the shape of shells. Hence the name... They're white becasue of the bond seperating. Bend plastic it starts to turn white. Chip off some superglue and it's white... same principle.

Should be fine though... ;o)

P.S. remember to NOT have the LIghting if it runs real hot no more than 6" from the tank as the heat can cause the acrylic top to crack at the corners. a little bowing up top doesn't hurt. but once again look at the corners of the cutouts for bad crazing.

(Crazing= little hair line cracks "inside" the acrylic pane. Sometimes on the surface. Horizontal, verticle and web like are all possible.)
Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Mastiffman For This Useful Post:
khangho05 (02-20-2012)
  #8  
Old 02-20-2012
khangho05's Avatar
khangho05
Status: Offline
Senior Member
 
::Profile::
Join Date: Feb 2011
Posts: 118
Thanks: 17
Thanked 5 Times in 5 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mastiffman View Post
Normal to point... How much is it bowing out. 1/2" or less on a tank that tall and you are fine. It's bowing becasue of skimping on the build materials to keep costs down. Anything over 24" in height should be made of 3/4" Cell Cast. As long as it's good and properly built cell cast though, you shouldn't have any issues. but keep an eye on the seams as well, as once crazing starts and heads into the end of the pane of acrylic, you may want to start thinking about a new tank. Not saying that it;s goign to happen but just in case you start to wonder.

There is also something called "shelling". It's when the bond of a joint starts to fail from typically not setting up the tank on a level surface. Instead of the seam being clear or even only having a little bit of crazing that ":doesn't" affecet the ends of the panes of acylic, it will look white and typically in the shape of shells. Hence the name... They're white becasue of the bond seperating. Bend plastic it starts to turn white. Chip off some superglue and it's white... same principle.

Should be fine though... ;o)

P.S. remember to NOT have the LIghting if it runs real hot no more than 6" from the tank as the heat can cause the acrylic top to crack at the corners. a little bowing up top doesn't hurt. but once again look at the corners of the cutouts for bad crazing.

(Crazing= little hair line cracks "inside" the acrylic pane. Sometimes on the surface. Horizontal, verticle and web like are all possible.)
Thanks for great info Mastiffman. I dont think its bowed to 1/2". just enough to notice it. I see more bowing on side panels then front and back. 48X30X30 for the tank size. i checked the seam and all around look great. Oh, No. I wont have HID lighting for it, I plan to use LED since its just freshwater.
Reply With Quote
  #9  
Old 02-21-2012
Mastiffman
Status: Offline
Senior Member
 
::Profile::
Join Date: Oct 2010
Age: 40
Posts: 4,502
Thanks: 960
Thanked 889 Times in 733 Posts
Images: 17
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by khangho05 View Post
Thanks for great info Mastiffman. I dont think its bowed to 1/2". just enough to notice it. I see more bowing on side panels then front and back. 48X30X30 for the tank size. i checked the seam and all around look great. Oh, No. I wont have HID lighting for it, I plan to use LED since its just freshwater.

Sounds good. but the sides shouldn't be bowing moreso than that of the front pane... are they thinner?

YOU could even go with T5HO's if you like just make sure that the sit a good distance above the top and you're good to go.
Reply With Quote
  #10  
Old 02-21-2012
khangho05's Avatar
khangho05
Status: Offline
Senior Member
 
::Profile::
Join Date: Feb 2011
Posts: 118
Thanks: 17
Thanked 5 Times in 5 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mastiffman View Post
Normal to point... How much is it bowing out. 1/2" or less on a tank that tall and you are fine. It's bowing becasue of skimping on the build materials to keep costs down. Anything over 24" in height should be made of 3/4" Cell Cast. As long as it's good and properly built cell cast though, you shouldn't have any issues. but keep an eye on the seams as well, as once crazing starts and heads into the end of the pane of acrylic, you may want to start thinking about a new tank. Not saying that it;s goign to happen but just in case you start to wonder.

There is also something called "shelling". It's when the bond of a joint starts to fail from typically not setting up the tank on a level surface. Instead of the seam being clear or even only having a little bit of crazing that ":doesn't" affecet the ends of the panes of acylic, it will look white and typically in the shape of shells. Hence the name... They're white becasue of the bond seperating. Bend plastic it starts to turn white. Chip off some superglue and it's white... same principle.

Should be fine though... ;o)

P.S. remember to NOT have the LIghting if it runs real hot no more than 6" from the tank as the heat can cause the acrylic top to crack at the corners. a little bowing up top doesn't hurt. but once again look at the corners of the cutouts for bad crazing.

(Crazing= little hair line cracks "inside" the acrylic pane. Sometimes on the surface. Horizontal, verticle and web like are all possible.)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mastiffman View Post
Sounds good. but the sides shouldn't be bowing moreso than that of the front pane... are they thinner?

YOU could even go with T5HO's if you like just make sure that the sit a good distance above the top and you're good to go.
Just went down stair and noticed the front bowing too. the reason didnt see before, because I set the tank inwall and see the sides bowing more than front and back. the highest point for bowing is no more than 1/2" on any panel.
all side panels (include top) are 1/2" thick, but bottom is 3/4.
Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks

Tags
acrylic, bow, filled, full

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
A Bowl full of Fish gernot Tropheus Photo Gallery Discussion 7 11-13-2011 11:55 PM
2.5' bemba with a mouth full 1oscar Tropheus Breeding 0 03-29-2010 09:24 AM
NLS Production in Full Swing salaczar Tropheus Disease, Health and Nutrition 0 07-28-2009 03:16 PM
Tank Full O' Hooligans! soonwoon Tropheus Photo Gallery Discussion 11 06-21-2009 08:06 PM


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 12:52 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2018, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.