Home Forum Articles Sponsors Affiliates CP Map Chat FAQ TOS
Go Back   Trophs.com > Tropheus Forums > Tropheus Tanks & Equipment

Notices

Tropheus Tanks & Equipment Discussion of tanks, filters, heaters, lighting, UV and other equipment.

Old 12-29-2011
nnwwkk

::Profile::
Default Complete wet/dry system

Hello,

What complete wet/dry system could you recommend for 200 gal trophs tank ?

Requirements :

1. It should be quite ( like fx5 or eheim 2080 ) ( It is possible? ) because the tank is in my bedroom.
2. Shouldn't leak
3. The system could be w or w/o pump
4. With overflow

Also I want to hear your recommendations/reviews on wet/dry systems , also forgot to mention - my tank isn't drilled .

Or eheim 2180 + 2078 + 2x tunze 6025 is enough for ~ 200 gal tank ? ( the thing I don't want to see in my tank is the air pump - means no bubbles , just clear clear water! )
Old 12-29-2011
mehowpl

Keeping: Ilanig, Ikola, murago, petros

wet dry is always gonna me noise. especially if its not drilled. i would say do 2 FX5, eheims have been breaking down lately and the 2180 is a good fileter but honestly i have it in my 125G tank and its not enought to filter even though its rated for 400g or something like that. FX5 are the way to go now.

my 2 cents
Old 12-29-2011
mehowpl

Keeping: Ilanig, Ikola, murago, petros

oh yeh best place to buy them is ebay. $220 shiped
Old 12-29-2011
swk

If you want a quiet overfow in a undrilled tank, then you may be out of luck, depending on what your definition of "quiet" is. Most HOB overflows are a bit noisy, but there are way to minimize the sound. If your tank was drilled, or can be drilled, then there are near silent overflow systems out there. Google "herbie overflow"' or "bean animal overflow" for ideas on how to set these up. There's a ton of info on them out there, so I won't get into details.

If you're somewhat handy, sumps are the easiest thing to make. They can be as simple or complex as you want them to be. An old tank filled with ceramic rings makes a good sump. Or, you can make an elaborate, multi-chambered system to play around with as well.

For size, I would go the biggest you can comfortably fit under your stand. I would go no less than a 40 breeder. 75 gal on up would be ideal.
Old 12-30-2011
nnwwkk

Quote:
Originally Posted by mehowpl View Post
wet dry is always gonna me noise. especially if its not drilled. i would say do 2 FX5, eheims have been breaking down lately and the 2180 is a good fileter but honestly i have it in my 125G tank and its not enought to filter even though its rated for 400g or something like that. FX5 are the way to go now.

my 2 cents
Thanks for you answer.

I have 1 fx5 at the moment, but im not satisfied , I constantly have problem with micro bubbles, I tried tons of methods , but no results , so - no fx5 for me ever ! Because I want to see CLEAR water .

Also I have not just 2180 but also 2078 so it would be about 20 liters of media total , with 3550 lph w/o media , and I think ~ 2000-2500 lph real flow with media from both filters in total. Also I want to add 2x tunze 6025 to help filters breaking the surface for better oxygenation , as I said I do not want any air pump with air stone inside my tank . So the generall quiestion - is this enough to provide enough water oxygenation or not enough ?
Old 12-30-2011
nnwwkk

Quote:
Originally Posted by swk View Post
If you want a quiet overfow in a undrilled tank, then you may be out of luck, depending on what your definition of "quiet" is. Most HOB overflows are a bit noisy, but there are way to minimize the sound. If your tank was drilled, or can be drilled, then there are near silent overflow systems out there. Google "herbie overflow"' or "bean animal overflow" for ideas on how to set these up. There's a ton of info on them out there, so I won't get into details.

If you're somewhat handy, sumps are the easiest thing to make. They can be as simple or complex as you want them to be. An old tank filled with ceramic rings makes a good sump. Or, you can make an elaborate, multi-chambered system to play around with as well.

For size, I would go the biggest you can comfortably fit under your stand. I would go no less than a 40 breeder. 75 gal on up would be ideal.
I know about bean animal overflow , but if to be honest , I think I wouldn't make it myself , because all my life I used just canisters , so the sump is the next stage for wich I need more courage Other thing - In lithuania , I don't know anyone who can help me with animal bean overflow making , so It is quite a headache.
Old 12-30-2011
WillZ

Beanimal and Herbie overflows won't work on an undrilled tank. You'll have to go with an overflow box or home-made overflow.

I have the same problem with my FX5s and microbubbles.

I'll post up some pics of my sump and overflows tonight. I used 1.5" PVC and a Marineland Maxijet 4500 with a 40G sump. It is very quiet (about as loud as a waterfall HOB style filter). I use it exclusively on my 120G (with a couple other filters in the sump to keep them out of sight) and the water is crystal clear and 0 ammonia/nitrites. Obviously, you'll still get nitrates, but that's why we do water changes. I can't access Picasa at work or I'd post up some pics now (I may have an old thread under my name here that has pics of it if you care to search).

I think if you go with a sump you will be very happy with your choice. Crystal clear water, massive bio, and all the clutter out of your tank. Plus, it's cheap and super simple to maintain.
75 Gallon Salt Water
120 Gallon WC Ikolas and E. Cyanosticus
125 Gallon Chimbas (25, they are breeding!)
230 Gallon Acrylic, 240 Gallon Acrylic, 40G long, 30G, 10G, 20G are all in storage pending our home purchase (whoohoo!)
Old 12-30-2011
WillZ

I found the initial link to my build:

http://trophs.com/forums/showthread....ighlight=willz

The diagram of the overflow is crude. You'll want to hit up monsterfishkeepers.com DIY section on overflows for much better diagrams. Plus, you'll get much quicker responses to your posts.

If you have any questions PM me. It routes to my email and I check that more often than this site.

Good luck!
75 Gallon Salt Water
230 Gallon Acrylic, 240 Gallon Acrylic, 40G long, 30G, 10G, 20G are all in storage pending our home purchase (whoohoo!)
Old 12-30-2011
WillZ

Here is a link to the overflow section I referenced above:

http://www.monsterfishkeepers.com/fo...ries-Explained

I used the second style so that it doesn't just take water from the surface.

This overflow costs about $20 in PVC, elbows and Ts. Or you could go for a pre-made overflow, it will handle more flow (supposedly), but they are more expensive.
75 Gallon Salt Water
Old 12-30-2011
nnwwkk

Quote:
Originally Posted by WillZ View Post
I found the initial link to my build:

http://trophs.com/forums/showthread....ighlight=willz

The diagram of the overflow is crude. You'll want to hit up monsterfishkeepers.com DIY section on overflows for much better diagrams. Plus, you'll get much quicker responses to your posts.

If you have any questions PM me. It routes to my email and I check that more often than this site.

Good luck!
Actually , I didn't ordered glass at the moment,just the stand where I will put the tank, so I CAN make few holes in the glass , but as I said , for unexperienced with sumps person I would not make perfect system as I wish and as it should be - safety from flows and COMPLETE SILENCE - those 2 things are the generall stoppers.