Home Forum Articles Sponsors Affiliates CP Map Chat FAQ TOS
Go Back   Trophs.com > Tropheus Forums > Tropheus Disease, Health and Nutrition

Notices

Tropheus Disease, Health and Nutrition Discussion of Tropheus diseases, general health, nutrition and water conditions.

Old 03-06-2011
GTEK22

::Profile::

hello need help have a 6oo litre rena 13 adult dubosi maswa 4 juve's and
i had 29 adult red rainbow and ten juves all was well 12 months for dubs lost none after
six months i am losing my rr's 10 i have lost already some get bloat others what i think is the bends were they float but cannot stay up right and discolouration of fins i have tried metridizonal triple dose for tank size and antibacterial treatment
I have high nitrate in my area around 30ppm get down to around 20 ppm for weekly 200 litre water change nitrite is fine but nitrate is always high in tank around 40 ppm have put 40 oz of chem pure in eheim 2080 other filtration two ehein 2217 and korallia 4 power head and eheim pump for aeration
I have kept frontosa for two years no problems so am not a novice dubosi are fine as mentioned but please can you offer some advice for rr's. I feed once a day on spirulina only water temp 28
Please help or offer advice if you can
Thanks
Old 03-06-2011
geost

Sorry to hear that. Anything that u changed recently? Mains water? Feeding amounts? Dechlorinator used?

Do you have clout on hand? If u can separate out the sick to another tank.
Old 03-06-2011
GTEK22

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(geost @ Mar 6 2011, 02:18 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
Quote:
Sorry to hear that. Anything that u changed recently? Mains water? Feeding amounts? Dechlorinator used?

Do you have clout on hand? If u can separate out the sick to another tank.[/b]

Thanks for the reply
i have changed dechlorinator i use prime now one caful for 200 litre water change used to use api product previously
Old 03-06-2011
JkdJedi

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(GTEK22 @ Mar 6 2011, 12:22 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
Quote:
hello need help have a 6oo litre rena 13 adult dubosi maswa 4 juve's and
i had 29 adult red rainbow and ten juves all was well 12 months for dubs lost none after
six months i am losing my rr's 10 i have lost already some get bloat others what i think is the bends were they float but cannot stay up right and discolouration of fins i have tried metridizonal triple dose for tank size and antibacterial treatment
I have high nitrate in my area around 30ppm get down to around 20 ppm for weekly 200 litre water change nitrite is fine but nitrate is always high in tank around 40 ppm have put 40 oz of chem pure in eheim 2080 other filtration two ehein 2217 and korallia 4 power head and eheim pump for aeration
I have kept frontosa for two years no problems so am not a novice dubosi are fine as mentioned but please can you offer some advice for rr's. I feed once a day on spirulina only water temp 28
Please help or offer advice if you can
Thanks[/b]
Make sure the temps are the same when changing your water, if your using any salt treatment in your tank and the water your filling is not treated then your fish could be suffering from PH shock.
Old 03-06-2011
noddy

How old are the red rainbows? Are they just starting to mature and start to spawn? Sounds like agression could be an issue.
Old 03-07-2011
raemaruk

Keeping: Tropheus Murago, Ilangi & Petrochromis Red Bulu Point

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(noddy @ Mar 7 2011, 12:52 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
Quote:
How old are the red rainbows? Are they just starting to mature and start to spawn? Sounds like agression could be an issue.[/b]

Double check the water temp with another thermometer......also, if you believe that the fish are suffering with the bends, then there is a lack of oxygen. A trickle filter will solved the oxygen problem. These can easily be made, just look online.
Old 03-07-2011
GTEK22

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(raemaruk @ Mar 7 2011, 12:06 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
Quote:
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(noddy @ Mar 7 2011, 12:52 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Quote:
How old are the red rainbows? Are they just starting to mature and start to spawn? Sounds like agression could be an issue.[/b]

Double check the water temp with another thermometer......also, if you believe that the fish are suffering with the bends, then there is a lack of oxygen. A trickle filter will solved the oxygen problem. These can easily be made, just look online.
[/b][/quote]

Water temperature the same when filling no salt used in either
flow and aeration also good in tank and two thermometers used one at either end of tank
the strange thing as mentioned is that i have not lost a single dub since purchased they have bred numerous times rr's have bred once
I think as Noddy has said it it may be aggression as the dubs rule the tank two big males control the rocks at either end only one
rr holds the front of one of these rocks they did not breed for the owner i bought them from in 16 months
But took 3 months tfor one female to hold in my tank only saw two fry when released
but they did not survive the female has now died as well

Do you think the aggression will stop once the rr colony gets to a suitable number
less males etc there are now ten less over a 2 month period
Should i save up and get my 5ft up and running and split the colonies
lastly do you think that an eheim 2080 and 2 eheim 2217's a koralia power head and eheim air filter is adequate filtration 600 ltre tank
originally had 50 trophs in there whatever i try nitrate levels always high but nitrite is no problem thanks for all the help so far
Old 03-07-2011
JayLar

Your chem pure might work better in one of the 2217's
I use Purigen & when I moved it from my 2080 to a 2073 it absorbed at twice the rate, more water contact time in the filter moving less water. Also was easier in the smaller filter to layer it to force the water thru the bags.