Home Forum Articles Sponsors Affiliates CP Map Chat FAQ TOS
Go Back   Trophs.com > Tropheus Forums > Tropheus Breeding

Notices

Tropheus Breeding Discussion of Tropheus conditioning, breeding, venting/sexing, fry care and rearing.

Old 04-06-2010
TROPHEUS-31

::Profile::

i have one fish that i found today hiding in my plants. what was unusual about this is that is completely black no color at all except for the tips of the pectoral fin have turned bright blue. it seems to isolate itself from the others. wondering if anyone can tell me any reason why this fish is doing this? i dont think my fish has bloat, diet is very strict. havent bred them before so not sure if this is normal behavior. any help would be great.
Old 04-07-2010
geost

Hmmm at times lack of color can mean the fish is a subordinate to the others, hiding can be a cause of that but if this is the only fish in the tank showing the color/behavior than it is not likely to be an illness. In any case, it is kind of hard to tell with the information you provided. Keep an eye on the fish, to assure it is not being chased and if it is eating. Mood and lighting can have something to do with dark coloration too. Please keep us posted.

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(TROPHEUS-31 @ Apr 6 2010, 09:53 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
Quote:
i have one fish that i found today hiding in my plants. what was unusual about this is that is completely black no color at all except for the tips of the pectoral fin have turned bright blue. it seems to isolate itself from the others. wondering if anyone can tell me any reason why this fish is doing this? i dont think my fish has bloat, diet is very strict. havent bred them before so not sure if this is normal behavior. any help would be great.[/b]
Old 04-07-2010
tom_patriot

Sounds like an aggression issue vs illness IMO. Hiding and dark coloration are signs of stress if it is only one individual. As mentioned, watch if he/she is being chased or harrassed.
Old 04-07-2010
TROPHEUS-31

haven't noticed that its being chased. the tank is large (125gal), with only 12 trophs in the tank with one nic, a syndontis multi and some bushynose pleco. the other fish seem to ignore it and leave it alone. if they are holding will they still eat?
Old 04-10-2010
Heyguy74

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(TROPHEUS-31 @ Apr 7 2010, 10:51 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
Quote:
haven't noticed that its being chased. the tank is large (125gal), with only 12 trophs in the tank with one nic, a syndontis multi and some bushynose pleco. the other fish seem to ignore it and leave it alone. if they are holding will they still eat?[/b]

Post a pic. My subdominant Illangis show Juvie coloration to avoid the dominant males