Home Forum Articles Sponsors Affiliates CP Map Chat FAQ TOS
Go Back   Trophs.com > Tropheus Forums > Tropheus Aquascaping

Notices

Tropheus Aquascaping Discussion of suitable rocks, substrates, tank decor, layout, etc.

View Poll Results: Your Setup
Show tank(s) 213 56.20%
Stock tank(s) 18 4.75%
Mix tank(s) 35 9.23%
Breeding tank(s) 49 12.93%
Beginner tank(s) 26 6.86%
Just another tank in the fishroom 35 9.23%
Other (please describe below) 3 0.79%
Voters: 379. You may not vote on this poll

Old 11-01-2009
Heather

::Profile::

Tell us about your setup... show us some tankshots... what has worked for you, what hasn't ... and why!
Old 11-01-2009
billansor

Send a message via Yahoo to billansor

Hey Heather......

Outstanding poll for what I have been thinking lately and doing as a result of a prolonged and intense move.......

Many of the people here use a sandish type substrate... I did that for a while and it went against my grain ( sorry about the pun :killingme: ) because I had always used Dolomite and felt it was easier to keep clean.. So while I used the sand, I had filter's impellers making all kinds of noises... My wife could not stand it and when I had my hearing aids on, neither could I.

So with the move and new setting up.... I pulled all the sand and ditched into the alley.. I put a dolomite / argonite / rift type shelly substrate mixed together.... Now I am able to point my Korilia's downward and the effects have been great in getting the detrius off of the bottom and into the filters.

The purist's in here seemingly frown on plastic type plants...... I on the other hand have started to go with those as it brings about a good safe harbor for fish being harrassed by breeding males in heat with the females. Also, I believe that the when the line of sight is interuppted, that a dominate fish cannot see and then will not bully.

I used to use rock mounds for rocking, now I try to use a mixture of flat round types.. square or rectangular... slabs and of course slates. I have found that if I make a cave type situation that it offers a natural harbor that is safe for those that just need to hang out and hide. I have one larger female Petro Trew that hides underneath a rock and just lays there until feeding time. When I added the cave situation, it became more natural and she will move about in there..

My thinking is to provide as much relief to the fish as if they were out in the wild. A fish can run for quite a few feet before the chase is ended... in the home aquarium... its not possible unless you think of ways to do this.

Again... Thank you Heather for some thought provoking questions and excellent poll.

Bill
The Following User Says Thank You to billansor For This Useful Post:
my1008 (01-25-2012)
Old 11-01-2009
ValleyAquatics

I agree.......good poll.

Old 11-02-2009
wth57

Of the 18 tanks I have currently going the majority are breeding and growout tanks. A few are show tanks. I have a 75 housing my Nkonde yellow colony, a 55 growout with 45-50 Mpulungu fry, two ten gallon fry tanks with the Nkonde yellow fry, a 125 Moba frontosa tank and the rest either breeding tanks or growout tanks. Most have either bare bottoms or aragonite/crushed coral substrate. Thinking of adding a few with pool filter sand. I have a few Mbuna tanks and the rest are Tang tanks.
Old 11-12-2009
JkdJedi

Quote:
Again... Thank you Heather for some thought provoking questions and excellent poll.

Bill [/b]

Hi Bill,

You mentioned "Korilia's" and I'm assuming it's those cool power heads I'm seeing in almost every tank here. (very nice set ups here on this site!)
If so, what would U recommend(flow rate)for a 75-80 gallon ?
The Following User Says Thank You to JkdJedi For This Useful Post:
coolcichlids80 (05-01-2014)
Old 11-14-2009
cricket355

Keeping: Pemba orange flame

Over the years with cichlids I have allways used Aquaclear filters, except for the one fluval that caused a flood since I didn't connect the hose properly. :blink:
I experimented with sand bought from home depot, but that time the sand was getting caught in the impella of the filter(Auaclear) and grinding to a halt.
At this time I use a substrate with a mix of gravel and shells(helps ph) formulated for cichlid tanks, still using Aquaclear filters(3), two power heads on each end of tank, bubble wand,two heaters, river rock, 125g. tank.
Presently, have 17Bemba flame in this set up. Want to add erets. Am also thinking of adding duboisi but, am wondering whether this would keep my bembas from reaching their best color. Although I don't see others here having a problem with this,
Hope to post pictures soon, and get some feedback since I know this is the best place for it.
Old 11-14-2009
JkdJedi

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(cricket355 @ Nov 14 2009, 11:20 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
Quote:
Over the years with cichlids I have allways used Aquaclear filters, except for the one fluval that caused a flood since I didn't connect the hose properly. :blink:
I experimented with sand bought from home depot, but that time the sand was getting caught in the impella of the filter(Auaclear) and grinding to a halt.
At this time I use a substrate with a mix of gravel and shells(helps ph) formulated for cichlid tanks, still using Aquaclear filters(3), two power heads on each end of tank, bubble wand,two heaters, river rock, 125g. tank.
Presently, have 17Bemba flame in this set up. Want to add erets. Am also thinking of adding duboisi but, am wondering whether this would keep my bembas from reaching their best color. Although I don't see others here having a problem with this,
Hope to post pictures soon, and get some feedback since I know this is the best place for it.[/b]
It's amazing how tunnel vision can make us believe that you have to have a wet dry system, and hear you got something working with 3 aqua clear filters.

Much respect and yes we (or least I) would like to see this set up,
Thanks
Old 12-10-2009
nathan2222

Here is my setup 180g, trickle system, xp4 and four Karalia 4's, crushed coral and black lava rock. Tank is stocked with 15 Ndole Bay Reds and 15 Kritzas.

Old 12-30-2009
Mr Tropheus

Thats a nice looking large tank, will look even better once they have fully grown
Old 12-30-2009
TFF

Send a message via MSN to TFF

Quote:
It's amazing how tunnel vision can make us believe that you have to have a wet dry system, and hear you got something working with 3 aqua clear filters.

Much respect and yes we (or least I) would like to see this set up,
Thanks[/b]
In my 30 years of fish keeping I've never used a wet/ dry system for any tank and I've kept everything from marines to discus.
The Following User Says Thank You to TFF For This Useful Post:
chong (02-24-2013)