Home Forum Articles Sponsors Affiliates CP Map Chat FAQ TOS
Go Back   Trophs.com > Tropheus Forums > Tropheus Tanks & Equipment

Notices

Tropheus Tanks & Equipment Discussion of tanks, filters, heaters, lighting, UV and other equipment.

Old 04-16-2015
johnnyblade

::Profile::
Keeping: Tropheus moorii Ikola "Kaiser Yellow"
Default New Canister for my 75 Gallon Moliro tank.

Hey everyone,my Rena XP3 is leaking form everywhere.It's leaking from the opening of the power wire,on the side of the plastic cover case.I replaced all the o'rings took it apart put it back together and it still leaks.I'm done spending money on it. I Need a new canister. The canister will be a second filter on a 75 gallon in my family room,the inner openings in the stand are 14 1/2 x 22 wide approx. So i guess an FX6 is out of the question do to it's size. This canister has to be bullet proof with no issues of leakage. I made a list of potential canisters that i'm considering but it's always good to get some feedback on recommendations from you all. Let me know your thoughts.Not in any order. Or any new canisters worth a shot.Thanks.

1) Eheim 2217-have never used
2) Eheim 2075-have never used
3) FX5 or FX6 - I will have to double check with the one i have. -Presently using 2 FX5s (Running Excellent)
4) Marineland C360-C530-Presently using 2 C530s (Very happy with them)
5) Rena XP3 or XP4-Presently using 1 XP4 (Running great a bit loud) - 3 XP3s (2 Running well, One other leaks like a river )
Old 04-16-2015
Mastiffman

You may have a crack in the case of the Canister itself. You could try wrapping the case while empty and no motor housing on it with a few full wraps of duct tap for a quick fix.

I have a Red Sea Ocean Clear Canister Filter with a Sicce 3.0, some 3/4" PVC Ball Valves and FX5 hose on a 6ft 120g... I hung the pump from the cabinet by airline and placed a folded piece of paper towel firmly inside the back plate of the pump. it's in my bedroom and it's nearly dead silent. Well in comparison it is. Only registers about 26-28db while I'm laying in bed.
Old 04-16-2015
dahling

Keeping: Kasanga, Mpulungu

I'm currently using a pair of 2217's on a 125g, but not for tropheus. Flow rate is probably less than others on your list, but it is very reliable, quiet and fool proof. I'm currently using an eheim 2262 for my trophs, but size and flow rate might be a bit much for your tank. No experience with Rena's and I have used an FX5 for a community tank.

Other than that, I like redundancy. I like keeping identical canisters just so you can share and order duplicate parts as necessary. I would probably stick with 1 of the canister models you already have, so it really depends on what media capacity, flow rate and size would work for you.
Old 04-16-2015
johnnyblade

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mastiffman View Post
You may have a crack in the case of the Canister itself. You could try wrapping the case while empty and no motor housing on it with a few full wraps of duct tap for a quick fix.

I have a Red Sea Ocean Clear Canister Filter with a Sicce 3.0, some 3/4" PVC Ball Valves and FX5 hose on a 6ft 120g... I hung the pump from the cabinet by airline and placed a folded piece of paper towel firmly inside the back plate of the pump. it's in my bedroom and it's nearly dead silent. Well in comparison it is. Only registers about 26-28db while I'm laying in bed.
No,the top part of the motor housing leaks.It's leaking at the seams of the motor housing cover or whatever we call it. I would need to replace the whole motor housing i guess.
Old 04-16-2015
johnnyblade

Quote:
Originally Posted by dahling View Post
I'm currently using a pair of 2217's on a 125g, but not for tropheus. Flow rate is probably less than others on your list, but it is very reliable, quiet and fool proof. I'm currently using an eheim 2262 for my trophs, but size and flow rate might be a bit much for your tank. No experience with Rena's and I have used an FX5 for a community tank.

Other than that, I like redundancy. I like keeping identical canisters just so you can share and order duplicate parts as necessary. I would probably stick with 1 of the canister models you already have, so it really depends on what media capacity, flow rate and size would work for you.
I'm really leaning towards the Eheim 2217. What's your thoughts on it.
Old 04-16-2015
dahling

Keeping: Kasanga, Mpulungu

I already posted my thoughts on it in my original post but to add to it, it's probably my favourite canister to use and service. It's old school with no modern digital anything - it just plain works. But big difference in flow rates from say an FX5 to the 2217. Parts are easy to buy because it's been around a long time. if it's a secondary canister and the other canister already give you a decent flow rate with bio capacity, it's a nice secondary filter to use.
Old 04-16-2015
supadave

Why not just go back with another Rena ....since you already have extra parts now. Honestly. ...I have both the XP3 and the 2217 and I really don't see or hear much difference.
Old 04-16-2015
noddy

2217. I have 5 of them running right now.
Old 04-16-2015
Thirtypack

Keeping: F1 Kabimba Canary, Malawi Haps and Peacocks

I have a 15yr old 2217 as a secondary filter on a 75gal. Still works great. Mine is loaded with matrix. Definitely a slower flow rate. My return has a spray bar. Quiet, reliable, proven filter. Highly recommend one.
Old 04-17-2015
johnnyblade

Quote:
Originally Posted by supadave View Post
Why not just go back with another Rena ....since you already have extra parts now. Honestly. ...I have both the XP3 and the 2217 and I really don't see or hear much difference.
You're right for the extra parts, but I would also try like to try another canister and see for myself how they work.