Home Forum Articles Sponsors Affiliates CP Map Chat FAQ TOS
Go Back   Trophs.com > Tropheus Forums > Tropheus Talk

Notices

Tropheus Talk Discussion of Tropheus in general.

Old 02-21-2015
NJCichlids

::Profile::
Keeping: Tropheus duboisi maswa
Default Best Background/Lighting for Dubs & Starfire Glass

I'm trying to decide on a 3D background for my Duboisi Maswa tank. I see that most come in gray or brown rock. Which would help bring out their colors best? Right now I've got a black backed tank and they are so dark. I'd like to bring the yellow out more and not have them blend into the background. I don't like the look of the open back tanks. I use light colored substrate.

Also, what are the best LEDs to get? Am I correct in thinking the LEDs will bring out the blues the best? I'm getting a 6 footer custom built very soon, so I need to figure out the lighting.

Anyone have any experience with Starfire glass tanks?

TIA
Old 02-21-2015
Mastiffman

Quote:
Originally Posted by NJCichlids View Post
I'm trying to decide on a 3D background for my Duboisi Maswa tank. I see that most come in gray or brown rock. Which would help bring out their colors best? Right now I've got a black backed tank and they are so dark. I'd like to bring the yellow out more and not have them blend into the background. I don't like the look of the open back tanks. I use light colored substrate.

Also, what are the best LEDs to get? Am I correct in thinking the LEDs will bring out the blues the best? I'm getting a 6 footer custom built very soon, so I need to figure out the lighting.

Anyone have any experience with Starfire glass tanks?

TIA
I would probably go with the grey myself. but remember that there are other major factors that will enhance the overall displaying of the colony. Things like, water quality, diet and comfortable surroundings. if they feel like they are in to much of an open area and are not used to it, they will tend to stay darker.

Last night, I finally removed the 4 F1 pemba that I got from nutsforcichlids (Verna) from my Kasanga tank and the Kasanga are kind of skittish today. I'm sure they'll be fine in few days. but that evidently affected their comfort level...

I like my Current USA Satellite Plus LEDS... Wide range of color and fully adjustable. With a remote I might add!
The Following User Says Thank You to Mastiffman For This Useful Post:
NJCichlids (02-22-2015)
Old 03-02-2015
NJCichlids

Keeping: Tropheus duboisi maswa

On a 72x24 footprint, would you use 2 36"-48" or 4?
Old 03-03-2015
raemaruk

Keeping: Tropheus Murago, Ilangi & Petrochromis Red Bulu Point

http://youtu.be/bosukHbUWVc

This is a set up for a group of Tropheus Duboisi Maswa which arrived last week. Will be adding them in weeks time.

I've gone full circle and arrived back at my first type of tropheus kept!
After trying various backgrounds I've found just a plain and simple background usually works best ast focuses the attention on the inhabitants rather than decor. Anyway, slate gray or granite gray works a treat for Maswa. Will post video once they're in to give a better idea.
The Following User Says Thank You to raemaruk For This Useful Post:
NJCichlids (03-03-2015)