Home Forum Articles Sponsors Affiliates CP Map Chat FAQ TOS
Go Back   Trophs.com > Tropheus Forums > Tropheus Tanks & Equipment

Notices

Tropheus Tanks & Equipment Discussion of tanks, filters, heaters, lighting, UV and other equipment.

Old 12-11-2014
ms1tx

::Profile::
Keeping: Kalemie,Bulu Point,Lueba,Kasanga
Default Eheim 2262 media setup

Started a thread a while back about which canister filter I should go with. I ended up picking the eheim 2262. Got it at a great price on Black Friday. Want to see what you guys would suggest as far as media setup. Is eheim substrat pro the bio media i should be going with? Also, is anyone using biohome media? Claims media supports anaerobic bacteria. Watched a video on youtube about it and it seems like a good media. Has anyone using it seen a decrease in nitrates? Any input or suggestion appreciated. Thanks in advance.
Old 12-11-2014
Toneloc

I have two set ups with poret foam on the bottom, eheim ehfisubstrat pro and pond matrix on mid, and seachem purigen on top.
The Following User Says Thank You to Toneloc For This Useful Post:
ms1tx (12-12-2014)
Old 12-11-2014
blunthead

Keeping: livua,ilangi,red kachese,moliro,lufubu,kiriza,bemba,caramba,ujiji,cherry spot,duboisi,ikola

seachem matrix is way better then eheims substrat pro
The Following User Says Thank You to blunthead For This Useful Post:
ms1tx (12-12-2014)
Old 12-11-2014
elblin

Keeping: Ikola, Murago

I am running two (soon to be three) of these monsters. I go old school, a layer of ceramic rings, a layer of the green Eheim filter material and a huge bag of bio material, a combo of Eheim Substrat Pro and Seachem Matrix. Even with the canister full of this, the flow the pump puts out is amazing.
The Following User Says Thank You to elblin For This Useful Post:
ms1tx (12-12-2014)
Old 12-12-2014
ms1tx

Keeping: Kalemie,Bulu Point,Lueba,Kasanga

Thanks for the replies. Was thinking of setting up in this order- prefilter media,then 3 different types of pond filter pads and matrix last. Thoughts? Also anyone using matrix seeing a decrease in nitrates? Thanks
Old 12-12-2014
dahling

Keeping: Kasanga, Mpulungu

Quote:
Originally Posted by ms1tx View Post
Thanks for the replies. Was thinking of setting up in this order- prefilter media,then 3 different types of pond filter pads and matrix last. Thoughts? Also anyone using matrix seeing a decrease in nitrates? Thanks
I'd be careful with the density of your pond filter pads. IIRC, Eheim does recommend against filter pads for fine particulates. Otherwise you may find that your 2262 clogs up faster and slowing down flow rate and you'll be servicing the filter more often than you like.

I use a layer of Eheim's coarse mechanical media, I think it's called effi-mech. Followed by a big media bag of pond matrix and cpr bio bale (addition bio support and some mechanical filtering), with purigen on top. I service that every 2 months, otherwise, nitrates would start rising sooner between water changes.

I can't say I've noticed a decrease in nitrates since I've always packed it with matrix and purigen.

Last edited by dahling; 12-13-2014 at 02:52 PM. Reason: typo
Old 12-13-2014
noddy

Quote:
Originally Posted by dahling View Post
I'd be careful with the density of your pond filter pads. IIRC, Eheim does recommend against filter pads for fine particulates. Otherwise you may find that your 2262 clogs up faster and slowing down flow rate and you'll be servicing the filter more often than you like.

I use a layer of Eheim's coarse mechanical media, I think it's called effi-mech. Followed by a big media bag of pond matrix and cpr bio bale (addition bio support and some mechanical filtering), with purigen on top. I service that every 2 weeks, otherwise, nitrates would start rising sooner between water changes.

I can't say I've noticed a decrease in nitrates since I've always packed it with matrix and purigen.
Just curious as to what type of service you do on your 2262 every 2 weeks?
I'm asking because I usually go around four months between opening mine up. Is it to change out the purigen?
Old 12-13-2014
dahling

Keeping: Kasanga, Mpulungu

Quote:
Originally Posted by noddy View Post
Just curious as to what type of service you do on your 2262 every 2 weeks?
I'm asking because I usually go around four months between opening mine up. Is it to change out the purigen?
My bad, I meant to say every 2 months. I tried to stretch it out servicing the canister to 3 or 4 months like my non-troph tanks but nitrate build up was too high unless I'm doing 2 water changes weekly. Purigen can go for about 4 months before needing regeneration.

I corrected my prior post, thanks for the heads up.