Home Forum Articles Sponsors Affiliates CP Map Chat FAQ TOS
Go Back   Trophs.com > Tropheus Forums > Tropheus Talk

Notices

Tropheus Talk Discussion of Tropheus in general.

Old 09-10-2014
mfehmi

::Profile::
Default Tropheus setup recomendation and general advice

I never had tropheus, but lately I'm thinking of getting a nice colony. I had a 300 gallon tank with mobas, but I'm thinking of adding a second tank to my home with fish that are more energetic.
First of all, What size tank you guys recomend? I've read that the minimum should be a 55, but a 75 is a better option.

Second, How many fish will you put in the tank? I heard between 20 and 30 to diminish aggression.

Third, based on the fact that I never Keept trophs, is better to get a nice WC colony or just go for a F1 frys?

I know... too many questions...
Old 09-10-2014
troutwader

I think a 75 gallon is ideal. For you, I would recommend fry or tank or pond raised adults. Wild fish come in with too many issues and it could be frustrating even for those who have experience with them to not lose fish and to get them to finally eat the food you have for them. Just be good on water changes, add epsom salt when doing water changes and have adequate filtration. One thing I like to do is feed mine some floating plants and raw green veggies from time to time.
The Following User Says Thank You to For This Useful Post:
mfehmi (09-10-2014)
Old 09-10-2014
mfehmi

I heard about the issues with wild fish. What are those issues exactly?
Old 09-11-2014
kraven08

Keeping: T. Ikola, T. duboisi, Frontosa

Bloat, is the most common disease. It can go from stress from moving, food, bad water parameters, poor filtration, parasites or bacteria.. what it does is that the fish belly expands, and they start to seclude, no eating, until its to late .... my recomendation is to have metro or kanaplex always on sight and also add epsom salt.

A 75 is a go, you can add 20-25 adults, but i like the most F1 so i can se them grow.
Filtration is a key with trophs, try that your filtration system (sump, cannister, etc) runs from 6x-10x your tank. Its best to have a good filtration, that assures you less water changes per week.
Aquascape is important 2-3 rock mounds will do ... you can also add plants (anubias) since they are bitter for trophs.

I have a 90 gal tank, with 17 ikolas, with a cannister that goes 7x tank water, plus wet-dry system, and a air pump ....just do 1 30%-40% WC per week.
Cannister and wet dry system get cleaned up every 4-6 months.

thats what i know, enjoy, Trophs rock!
Sure there will be better explanations than mine, from experienced members like Greg, Mastiff, GMFrontosa, and others (everyone is great!!!) .... Good Luck
Old 09-11-2014
GMfrontosa
Site Advisor

Keeping: Nothing at this time

Quote:
Originally Posted by mfehmi View Post
First of all, What size tank you guys recomend? I've read that the minimum should be a 55, but a 75 is a better option.

Second, How many fish will you put in the tank? I heard between 20 and 30 to diminish aggression.

Third, based on the fact that I never Keept trophs, is better to get a nice WC colony or just go for a F1 frys?

I know... too many questions...
first, of course the bigger the tank the better and i've read it here that others are/were successful having trophs in a 55gal it just boils down to what size tank can you have...
Second, the more the better for aggression..again people will say atleast 15 in a 55gal, now the more you have the more filtration and WC you will need..
third, WC or F1s it's a personal preference..WC cost more than F1s, you dont have to wait for fry/juvies to grow to see full color, and if you gonna breed and sell then WC is the way to go...and with WC i believe there's more to them than F1s as far as quarantine procedures, climatizing, food, and others due to the fact that they are WC it will take a little time to get use to.

well, this is my opinion and i'm sure others will chime in good luck on what ever decision you make on either WC or F1s and surely you'll enjoy these amazing fish
Old 09-12-2014
supadave

Quote:
Originally Posted by GMfrontosa View Post
first, of course the bigger the tank the better and i've read it here that others are/were successful having trophs in a 55gal it just boils down to what size tank can you have...
Second, the more the better for aggression..again people will say atleast 15 in a 55gal, now the more you have the more filtration and WC you will need..
third, WC or F1s it's a personal preference..WC cost more than F1s, you dont have to wait for fry/juvies to grow to see full color, and if you gonna breed and sell then WC is the way to go...and with WC i believe there's more to them than F1s as far as quarantine procedures, climatizing, food, and others due to the fact that they are WC it will take a little time to get use to.

well, this is my opinion and i'm sure others will chime in good luck on what ever decision you make on either WC or F1s and surely you'll enjoy these amazing fish
+1
The Following User Says Thank You to supadave For This Useful Post:
GMfrontosa (09-12-2014)