Home Forum Articles Sponsors Affiliates CP Map Chat FAQ TOS
Go Back   Trophs.com > General Aquaria Forums > General Cichlid Talk

Notices

General Cichlid Talk Discussion of other types of cichlids.

Old 07-25-2013
swk

::Profile::

Quote:
Originally Posted by dmtanks328 View Post
Great looking foai SWK and amazing how many males are at full color at one time.

I started with 2 Males and 4 females of wild furcifer from Kigoma and only my alpha male builds a bower and gets full color.They breed seasonally the past 3 years mainly in the spring to early summer and I am lucky to get 2 spawns from a female per year.The big females do have around 60 fry per spawn though.I am growing out some F1s to replace my aging wilds as I am down to only 2 females.It will be interesting to see how the tank raised are when it comes to coloring and breeding vs the wild caught.
I haven't kept wild foai for a while. I have noticed that the fry produced are always male heavy. With this group I started off with 20 F1 and ended up with only the 7 females. I have been selling off males as they mature to get to a more manageable sized group. I have found that with rocks breaking the tank up into 3 separate sandy areas, a male with build a bower in each area

Quote:
Originally Posted by TroPhish View Post
Stunning sean! Tank looks clean and the water quality/clarity looks great.

BTW, I have no clue about these fish.

Quick 101?

And then Ill go google.

Are they aggressive? Get big? petro like? or troph like? or real calm?

Love the fins. And the calvus are neat. A lot going on in there!

John
They need to be the king of the tank to really enjoy their color and nest building behavior. If they feel stressed by tankmates they will simply look like silver fish with large eyes. They are very calm compared with trophs/petros. Never had a death with foai or furcifer due to aggression. Tankmates are best kept to cyps, benthos and calvus or shellies. Can reach 8" as adults. Looking forward to adding the benthos to this tank tomorrow night

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toneloc View Post
Thanks for the vid. I've been thinking setting up another tank for these fish.
Do it! You wont regret it. They're the perfect tanganyikan counterpoint to a really hectic troph and or petro tank. They're very peaceful and relaxing to watch. When I had many petros I would HATE going on vacation, bevause I was constantly afraid of coming home to beaten fish. Not a concern with foai
Old 07-25-2013
Mastiffman

Sean that male is outstanding! Like the calvus chillin in the back to. Good setup.

Just had my Black Ink Fin Calvus Sapwn the other day. so hopefully will have a big clan of em...
Old 07-25-2013
swk

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mastiffman View Post
Sean that male is outstanding! Like the calvus chillin in the back to. Good setup.

Just had my Black Ink Fin Calvus Sapwn the other day. so hopefully will have a big clan of em...
Calvus produce huge clutches, and the fry are a pain in the butt to rear successfully. There are many hints and tips as to keep fry mortality down. However, to be honest I find that all to be way to much work. I've been told that the yellows are no longer being collected and we won't see them again as wild for a looong time.

Despite all my laziness, I seem to get a ton of fry. They stay in the 180 and shelter in the nooks and crannies of the live plants. I have 50+ half inch fry that have somehow managed to stay alive and find enough to eat. I do feed my micros NLS grow, so they could be snacking on the leftovers. I do 50% water changes and dump safe in the tank and then fill with tapwater. Most people say to change calvus fry water with water from the parents tank blah blah blah.
Old 07-25-2013
haixu

Keeping: Ikola, Bemba, Murago Green

Quote:
Originally Posted by swk View Post
Calvus produce huge clutches, and the fry are a pain in the butt to rear successfully. There are many hints and tips as to keep fry mortality down. However, to be honest I find that all to be way to much work. I've been told that the yellows are no longer being collected and we won't see them again as wild for a looong time.

Despite all my laziness, I seem to get a ton of fry. They stay in the 180 and shelter in the nooks and crannies of the live plants. I have 50+ half inch fry that have somehow managed to stay alive and find enough to eat. I do feed my micros NLS grow, so they could be snacking on the leftovers. I do 50% water changes and dump safe in the tank and then fill with tapwater. Most people say to change calvus fry water with water from the parents tank blah blah blah.
This is very true for calvus. I have currently over 100 fry from my WC black congo cavlus and I am a bit afraid when it comes to water change. Now that I know you can do %50 tab I might try a little more. I've always tried only 15/20% of water change every 2 weeks. They seem to be fine but the water s always cloudy I want it to be a bit clearer so I can see them thanks for sharing your experience Sean
Old 07-25-2013
swk

Quote:
Originally Posted by haixu View Post
This is very true for calvus. I have currently over 100 fry from my WC black congo cavlus and I am a bit afraid when it comes to water change. Now that I know you can do %50 tab I might try a little more. I've always tried only 15/20% of water change every 2 weeks. They seem to be fine but the water s always cloudy I want it to be a bit clearer so I can see them thanks for sharing your experience Sean
Keep in mind I'm talking about a 180 gallon tank. Even though I'm changing a lot of water, the tank stays very stable. So, if your rearing you fry in a small tank, like a 20, then you may want to be more cautious.

Congrats on the fry!
The Following User Says Thank You to For This Useful Post:
haixu (07-26-2013)
Old 07-26-2013
dmtanks328

Calvus fry are very sensitive to quick changes of hardness and temp so if your tap water is ideal doing 50% water changes isn't an issue but if you have tap water that is like mine where you have to add baking soda and cichlid salts then it can be tricky with the fry until they get past their extreme sensitive growing stage once they get near half inch.

I have started using DIY fry savers from plastic shoe boxes with air lift to create a constant water flow.It keeps them confined to help them find food but have a larger volume of water with the parent's tank.
The Following User Says Thank You to dmtanks328 For This Useful Post:
haixu (07-26-2013)
Old 07-26-2013
TroPhish

Keeping: Tropheus moorii 'Kasnaga' & Tropheus duboisi 'Maswa'

Quote:
Originally Posted by dmtanks328 View Post
Calvus fry are very sensitive to quick changes of hardness and temp so if your tap water is ideal doing 50% water changes isn't an issue but if you have tap water that is like mine where you have to add baking soda and cichlid salts then it can be tricky with the fry until they get past their extreme sensitive growing stage once they get near half inch.

I have started using DIY fry savers from plastic shoe boxes with air lift to create a constant water flow.It keeps them confined to help them find food but have a larger volume of water with the parent's tank.
+ 1.

large water volume really helps keep the food going to them but the nitrates low. essential for rapid healthy growth.
The Following User Says Thank You to TroPhish For This Useful Post:
haixu (07-26-2013)
Old 07-26-2013
haixu

Keeping: Ikola, Bemba, Murago Green

Quote:
Originally Posted by swk View Post
Keep in mind I'm talking about a 180 gallon tank. Even though I'm changing a lot of water, the tank stays very stable. So, if your rearing you fry in a small tank, like a 20, then you may want to be more cautious.

Congrats on the fry!
I guess I should just keep on what I am doing as so far so good (knock on wood) as I keep them in a 20g but soon to be a 40g breeder tank.

Thanks -- they are such a slow slow growing fish