Home Forum Articles Sponsors Affiliates CP Map Chat FAQ TOS
Go Back   Trophs.com > Tropheus Forums > Tropheus Aquascaping

Notices

Tropheus Aquascaping Discussion of suitable rocks, substrates, tank decor, layout, etc.

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1  
Old 08-02-2011
khangho05's Avatar
khangho05
Status: Offline
Senior Member
 
::Profile::
Join Date: Feb 2011
Posts: 118
Thanks: 17
Thanked 5 Times in 5 Posts
Default Acrylic tank questions

Hi everyone,

I am going to set up a 200 gals. Acrylic tank for trophs, but this is my first acrylic and kindly need your help.
1) Is Acrylic have to use Styrofoam to it on or OK without?
2) if it has to use it, how thick minimum and max?

Thank you for your help.
Reply With Quote
  #2  
Old 08-03-2011
WillZ's Avatar
WillZ
Status: Offline
Senior Member
 
::Profile::
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: Roanoke VA
Posts: 179
Thanks: 8
Thanked 6 Times in 6 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by khangho05 View Post
Hi everyone,

I am going to set up a 200 gals. Acrylic tank for trophs, but this is my first acrylic and kindly need your help.
1) Is Acrylic have to use Styrofoam to it on or OK without?
2) if it has to use it, how thick minimum and max?

Thank you for your help.
I don't think you have to have styrofoam below the bottom of the tank. It wouldn't hurt to put 1/2" styro under it if you felt like it. However, I do know you have to have a stand that fully supports the bottom of the tank. Don't use a tank stand for a glass tank that only supports the corners or edges. The acrylic will bow and it WILL bust the seams. Hope that helps ya!
__________________
Will M.
10 Gallon Goby Fry Grow Out
65 Gallon Ikola and Goby Grow Out
75 Gallon Salt Water
120 Gallon WC Ikolas and E. Cyanosticus
125 Gallon Chimbas (25, they are breeding!)
230 Gallon Acrylic, 240 Gallon Acrylic, 40G long, 30G, 10G, 20G are all in storage pending our home purchase (whoohoo!)
Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to WillZ For This Useful Post:
khangho05 (08-03-2011)
  #3  
Old 08-03-2011
JkdJedi's Avatar
JkdJedi
Status: Offline
Senior Member
 
::Profile::
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: Coachella, California.
Age: 51
Posts: 1,513
Thanks: 121
Thanked 120 Times in 111 Posts
Images: 11
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by WillZ View Post
I don't think you have to have styrofoam below the bottom of the tank. It wouldn't hurt to put 1/2" styro under it if you felt like it. However, I do know you have to have a stand that fully supports the bottom of the tank. Don't use a tank stand for a glass tank that only supports the corners or edges. The acrylic will bow and it WILL bust the seams. Hope that helps ya!
iT SURE WILL! I had a 55 Acrylic bust on me dead center because I had it on a glass tank stand (no center support) and it was only half filled. 25 galoons of salt water all over the floor of a 2nd floor apartment..Yikes!

Get the right stand dude.8)
Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to JkdJedi For This Useful Post:
khangho05 (08-04-2011)
  #4  
Old 08-03-2011
crawdaddy
Status: Offline
Senior Member
 
::Profile::
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Brampton, Ontario
Keeping: nothing right now
Posts: 340
Thanks: 0
Thanked 11 Times in 11 Posts
Images: 9
Default

JkdJedi, is right, it needs support for the total area.
Are you getting the tank professional made?
If you are, they should know how thick the acrylic should be.
Styrofoam, it only cost a few $'s. Why wouldn't you? It evens out the stand.
Just think of the cost of the styrofoam as insurance for the acrylic tank.
Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to crawdaddy For This Useful Post:
khangho05 (08-04-2011)
  #5  
Old 08-04-2011
khangho05's Avatar
khangho05
Status: Offline
Senior Member
 
::Profile::
Join Date: Feb 2011
Posts: 118
Thanks: 17
Thanked 5 Times in 5 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by JkdJedi View Post
iT SURE WILL! I had a 55 Acrylic bust on me dead center because I had it on a glass tank stand (no center support) and it was only half filled. 25 galoons of salt water all over the floor of a 2nd floor apartment..Yikes!

Get the right stand dude.8)
Quote:
Originally Posted by crawdaddy View Post
JkdJedi, is right, it needs support for the total area.
Are you getting the tank professional made?
If you are, they should know how thick the acrylic should be.
Styrofoam, it only cost a few $'s. Why wouldn't you? It evens out the stand.
Just think of the cost of the styrofoam as insurance for the acrylic tank.
That is what WILLZ said. make sure the stand is fully support the whole bottom, and he mentioned that the glass stand is no GOOD for Acrylic.
I am going to build the stand for this Acrylic and its fully support evenly with a 1/4 thick board on the bottom. Do I still need Styrefoam for this stand?
Thank you for your help.
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old 08-04-2011
WillZ's Avatar
WillZ
Status: Offline
Senior Member
 
::Profile::
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: Roanoke VA
Posts: 179
Thanks: 8
Thanked 6 Times in 6 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by khangho05 View Post
That is what WILLZ said. make sure the stand is fully support the whole bottom, and he mentioned that the glass stand is no GOOD for Acrylic.
I am going to build the stand for this Acrylic and its fully support evenly with a 1/4 thick board on the bottom. Do I still need Styrefoam for this stand?
Thank you for your help.
I would probably go for a little thicker than 1/4". Use 1/2" or 3/4" plywood. Like the other folks said, styrofoam is cheap. Plus, if you are building your own stand and if you don't countersink the screws or nails they may be sitting flush once you are done building it, but when you get 1600 lbs of water in the tank they may poke out of the plywood at that point, so why not have a little buffer between them and the bottom of your tank? Good luck with your build
__________________
Will M.
10 Gallon Goby Fry Grow Out
65 Gallon Ikola and Goby Grow Out
75 Gallon Salt Water
120 Gallon WC Ikolas and E. Cyanosticus
125 Gallon Chimbas (25, they are breeding!)
230 Gallon Acrylic, 240 Gallon Acrylic, 40G long, 30G, 10G, 20G are all in storage pending our home purchase (whoohoo!)
Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to WillZ For This Useful Post:
khangho05 (08-04-2011)
  #7  
Old 08-04-2011
crawdaddy
Status: Offline
Senior Member
 
::Profile::
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Brampton, Ontario
Keeping: nothing right now
Posts: 340
Thanks: 0
Thanked 11 Times in 11 Posts
Images: 9
Default

How much is the tank? Do you want to risk cracking it because you didn't spend a few cents on styrofoam. It's your money.
Reply With Quote
  #8  
Old 08-28-2011
#1 Cichlids's Avatar
#1 Cichlids
Status: Offline
Site Advisor
 
::Profile::
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: NEWYORK
Keeping: Tangs,Malawi,Haps
Posts: 687
Thanks: 89
Thanked 120 Times in 114 Posts
Default

if your real handy,depending on size of the tank,i used 2/4s for my 150 acrylic,been running for 2 years now,dead bolts r a plus!!
__________________
Water changes are a fish best friend Cichlid Power!!!!
Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks

Tags
acrylic, questions, tank

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Setting up the acrylic tank i built... Joey DIY (Do-It-Yourself) Projects 23 08-12-2011 08:02 AM
NEW!: NEW acrylic tank build Joey DIY (Do-It-Yourself) Projects 28 07-18-2011 09:17 PM
Used Novus on my Acrylic tank and wondered..... Mastiffman Tropheus Tanks & Equipment 4 03-31-2011 11:25 PM
120gal 4x2x2 acrylic tank, So-Cal blkg35 Buy, Sell & Trade 2 01-07-2010 07:02 PM
Awesome 160gal TALL acrylic fish tank blkg35 Buy, Sell & Trade 1 09-24-2008 07:12 PM


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 04:48 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2018, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.