Home Forum Articles Sponsors Affiliates CP Map Chat FAQ TOS
Go Back   Trophs.com > Tropheus Forums > Tropheus Tankmates

Notices

Tropheus Tankmates Discussion of compatible Tropheus tankmates.

Old 07-01-2010
mmillerr

::Profile::

I'm thinking of adding some open water fish to my 75 with GK's. I like the look and smaller size of the paracyps, but I've read that they anchor their territories around rock piles vs the open water territory of cyps. Would this lead to battles over one or both of the rock piles that I have for the trophs or would they get along OK?

Mark
Old 07-01-2010
SI Cichlids

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(mmillerr @ Jul 1 2010, 05:00 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
Quote:
I'm thinking of adding some open water fish to my 75 with GK's. I like the look and smaller size of the paracyps, but I've read that they anchor their territories around rock piles vs the open water territory of cyps. Would this lead to battles over one or both of the rock piles that I have for the trophs or would they get along OK?

Mark[/b]

Hello Mark, if I had to choose between the two I would take the Cyp's over the Paracyp's. I feel the Cyp's would do better dealing with the Tropheus aggression. I will say that I feel you would have better luck with a 6ft. tank opposed to a 4ft. How big of a colony of Kazumba are you keeping ? Adult's or fry ? I recently added a group of Cyp. Pavo to a 125 gallon tank with a wild group of Tropheus Nkonde, because of space issue's in my room. To my surprise the Pavo's did very well with the Troph colony. I would say breeding from the Cyp's may be little to none, but it will definately make a good addition to your tank. My concern is if you decide to go with a Jumbo Cyp variety, your set up will be a bit tight once your Cyp's reach full size. Now to add a group of Troph's to the mix may be a bit too much in a 75 gallon. I'm all for trying something new, but odd's may be against you in a 75 gallon tank. Good luck with your decision. Anthony
Old 07-01-2010
mmillerr

If I can ever pin Big Don down long enough to get them I will be adding 10 more GK's to the 6 survivors from my first batch for a total of 16. I was thinking Utinta's if I go with cyps so they're relatively small as cyps go. Not concerned at all if they don't breed in fact I'm looking at getting some excess males from a couple of buddies here locally.

Mark
Old 07-01-2010
gw12269

Keeping: Polli, Murago, Lufubu

Something Fishy in Old Brooklyn Ohio has some Cyps. 3 Males and 1 Female. The males have yellow tails with blue/gray bodies.

Greg
Follow me on twitter @buckslayerwells
Old 07-02-2010
domresvanis

I am thinking of buying about 10-12 Cyps Utinta and put them in a 6x2x18 tank with 12 RR and 15 Dubs.They are nice fish and i am wondering what are the chances for breeding.
I think that Tropheus will not have any problem but i dont know for the Cyps if it will a problem or not.
If they will not breed i ll put them in a 4x2x18 tank with 2 Eretmodus Cyanostictus.
Any suggestions for tank mates without to be a problem for breeding?
Old 07-02-2010
buba

Keeping: Ikola, Kasakalawe, Duboisi, Golden Kazumba

I have leptosoma mplungu toogether with Ikola, Duboisi, Eretmodus,and Julidochromis, and they are breeding all the time.
In other tank, there are Cyprichromis Speckleback Moba with tropheus Kasakalawe, and Tanganicodus and also no problems with breeding cyps.

Haven't seen any attempts from trophs to interrupt breeding of Cyps, just sometimes Cyps have damaged fins, but nothing to worry about

buba
Old 07-02-2010
Jrbama

Keeping: Duboisi, Moorii Kasanga, Moorii chaitika, Sp. Black Ikola

I also have some Cyp. Leptosoma Untinta's with my Duboisi, a pair of Julies, and and a Pair Buescheri in a 55 gallon tank. My Dub's and Cyp's breed pretty regularly.

Actually, my Cyp. Males are pretty aggressive towards my Julies and Buescheri - They often "flare" up at each other - Especially when the Cyp's are breeding. I was surprised the the Cyp Aggression. I always thought they were pretty "Laid back".

The Cyps and Dub's hardly ever acknowledge each other. I feed NLS mainly and all fish seem to get enough food - My tank's at my office at work and I feed them in small amounts throughout the day.

Old 07-03-2010
domresvanis

Buba how many fish in total and how large is the tank?
Jrbama how many Leptosoma and Duboisi in a 55 g tank?
I am trying to see if i can put them in a 6x2x18 or a 4x2x18 with 1 or 2 species of Tropheus.
Thanks everybody for the help..
Old 07-03-2010
buba

Keeping: Ikola, Kasakalawe, Duboisi, Golden Kazumba

In 125 g, 6 ft, there are about 15 duboisi, now sadly 8 ikola and 13 juveniles, 6 juvies, 9 young gobies and 7 cyps.
In 90 g, 4 ft, there are 14 Kasakalawe, 2 Tanganicodus, 3 Botia machrachanta and 5 cyps.

Hope that helps.

buba
Old 07-03-2010
Mr. Johnson

Send a message via AIM to Mr. Johnson

I tired this before.

If you you have big group of tropheus then they are going to give those cyps hell. I wouldn't recommended it. Cpys were never happy. Got their fins nipped all the time.