Home Forum Articles Sponsors Affiliates CP Map Chat FAQ TOS
Go Back   Trophs.com > Tropheus Forums > Tropheus Species & Variants

Notices

Tropheus Species & Variants Discussion of Tropheus Species, Variants & Collection Points... including ID questions.

Old 08-19-2009
Wiggles

::Profile::

Recently I bought a group of 8 juvenile Duboisi Halembe. I am looking to add a few more to the colony, but having a hard time finding this specific variant locally. There was a website online that said that the Maswa was another name for the Halembe. Is this true? I thought they were two different collection points. Am I safe to add Maswas to the colony? Or do you guys think 8 is a big enough colony for duboisi? I suppose I could order a few online if I had to...
Old 08-19-2009
The-Wu

I'd go for a bigger group, depends on the size of your tank though. but typically for juveniles you'd want 20-25 as a good starting point. Though some have been ok with 15 too.

Doug @ Reserve Stock Cichlids (site sponsor) has some Halembes. I just recieved a order of 30 chipimbi's from him last week and they are all very healthy and quality stock. highly recommended.

General Photography
http://flickr.com/the-wu
Old 08-19-2009
billansor

Send a message via Yahoo to billansor

Hi there...

One of the things that people kinda tend to get mixed up in is the disctinctions of differences... The Halembe Duboisi has a wide yellow band... but its not an ikola... nor will it look like an ikola either in its juvie state.

Also the Halembe Duboisi's band may be washed out yellow at times too... Or at least the ones I have are...

The other duboisi Maswa is wide white band and then the Duboisi Karilana is the one with the narrow white band..

Sooo you really need to make sure you are getting the correct one for the remainder of your colony...

Hope this helps... If you have more questions... Please ask!!

Bill

Old 08-20-2009
Wiggles

Yeah, my Halembe have the washed out yellow band too. I guess I knew this all along but I was just hoping there might be a chance I wouldn't have to order more online. Ergh. Thanks guys!