Home Forum Articles Sponsors Affiliates CP Map Chat FAQ TOS
Go Back   Trophs.com > Tropheus Forums > Tropheus Aquascaping

Notices

Tropheus Aquascaping Discussion of suitable rocks, substrates, tank decor, layout, etc.

Old 03-03-2010
gmoses

::Profile::

Just in the process of setting up a new tank for a group of juvenile troph chatikas.
So do i have enough rock, should i add more plants? What about background, black blue something else? any thoughts would be appreciated.
Thanks
Old 03-03-2010
dwhit0725

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(gmoses @ Mar 3 2010, 02:53 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
Quote:
Just in the process of setting up a new tank for a group of juvenile troph chatikas.
So do i have enough rock, should i add more plants? What about background, black blue something else? any thoughts would be appreciated.
Thanks[/b]

Don't do a black background as your trophs will keep dark colors and the brightness won't come through.
Old 03-03-2010
gmoses

what kind of background should i do?<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(dwhit0725 @ Mar 3 2010, 02:02 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
Quote:
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(gmoses @ Mar 3 2010, 02:53 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Quote:
Thanks[/b]

Don't do a black background as your trophs will keep dark colors and the brightness won't come through.
[/b][/quote]
Old 03-03-2010
mad4tangs

No offense, but personally, I can't stand fake plastic plants. If you're going to put in plants, I would suggest real ones. Anubias and Vals seem to work for me. They grow algae on them, which my trophs love to scrape off as well and it just looks 'natural'.

Regarding your rock work, it's a matter of taste thing as well. I personally don't like Texas holey rock or lace rock, which doesn't exist in Lake Tanganyika. I prefer to use a mix of river rocks, large, medium, and small. I would try adding ledges/shelves of rocks, where my trophs seem to like to spawn/dance.

Check out this link from another tropheus keeper. With the exception of the black sand, I think the background and rocks look awesome IMHO.

http://the-wu.com/images/tank/index_2.html
Old 03-03-2010
mad4tangs

Forgot to mention one important thing. If you'll notice in the link I provided, he is using 2 koralia powerheads (or maybe the generic sun sun model?). Keeping good water flow/current in the tank is essential in helping to spread out aggression and also helps to condition/exercise trophs. It really helps to keep the fish happy. You will notice that most troph/petro keepers will have powerhead(s) of one type or another in their tanks.

Also, consider using aragonite sand. GREAT stuff! Looks good, filters nitrates, and the trophs love sifting through it. I've read articles that show trophs and gobies with sand in their intestines and it's theorized that the sand helps in digestion - some birds swallow stones, etc for the same reason.
Old 03-04-2010
dwhit0725

IMO the color of background depends on the type of fish you get. For me the catch all color for a tank background is blue. I don't think you can ever go wrong with blue.