Home Forum Articles Sponsors Affiliates CP Map Chat FAQ TOS
Go Back   Trophs.com > Tropheus Forums > Tropheus Species & Variants

Notices

Tropheus Species & Variants Discussion of Tropheus Species, Variants & Collection Points... including ID questions.

Old 01-14-2013
benk

::Profile::
Default Kasakalwe stocking

Hi all,

I' am embarking on my first Troph set up.....it is a 360Lt corner tank ( I know some people dont like this) with a 60 Lt sump. The tank is currently cycling and i' am looking to keep a colony of Kasakalwe from Juvie stage.

My questions are:

How many do you think I should get to start of with in this tank in order to get a good M to F ratio?

Also once the colony has formed I would like to get a small group of Dubosis Maswa to compliment the Kasakalwe....is this possible?

Any advice is welcome its how we learn

Cheers

Ben
Old 01-14-2013
moganman

What are the dimensions of the tank? Heavy filtration is a must. I would add an eheim 2260/62 to complement the sump. As far as numbers, it would be hard to sex juvenile fish so I would start with 25-30 fish. When they become adults you can cull through males if needed. You can always add fish but if you know you want to get dubs then just get them at the same time so they can be raised together and develop a tolerance for each other. It's not always pretty adding new fish to an existing colony but if you choose that route, do a big water change and remove all of the rocks. That way all of the fish have the same stress level.
Old 01-14-2013
benk

Thanks for the reply and advice. The tank is 36 inches down each side and has height of 26 inches (hard to picture sometimes) but it has a maximum length across the middle of 48 inches and a max width of 28inches.

If I had the cash I would look at adding both at the same time but that's bit an option at the minute.

I have 20 Kasakalwe on order I would hope to get a group of at least 12 out of it?!

The dubosis may have to wait.

With regards filtration I have a further 2 power heads attached to sponges.

Thanks again

Ben
Old 01-14-2013
noddy

Sounds like a deccent sized tank. I would buy as many as I could afford or find up to around 36 max. A group of 24+ would be ideal IMO. As far as filtration goes, you should be fine, I have a 210g with a 2262, two 2217's and an emperor 400 on it. I have also kept 30+ trophs in a 110g with just sponges on powerheads. Large water changes are key, and plenty of surface movement.