Home Forum Articles Sponsors Affiliates CP Map Chat FAQ TOS
Go Back   Trophs.com > Tropheus Forums > Tropheus Aquascaping

Notices

Tropheus Aquascaping Discussion of suitable rocks, substrates, tank decor, layout, etc.

Old 05-14-2012
bitey

::Profile::
Keeping: fire cracker
Default stocking standard 100 gal. tank

hello fellow hobbyists! would like to get your opinion on stocking a standard 100 gal. tanks... 6 feet x 1.5 feet x 1.5 feet.... silicas and around 2 inches and 3 main rocks... 2 sponge filters... how many duboisi juvies can it hold comfortably until they become fully grown? can around 40 pcs of around 1.5 to 2 inches work? unitl they become adults? i am cutting down on electical expenses and opted to use 2 sponge filters only... will have to add eventually another2 when the juvies grow up... thanks

bitey
Old 05-14-2012
SunnyHouTX

Skimping on filtration is not the way to maximize on the number of fish you keep. With just two sponge filters, I can't imagine keeping a lot of fish, even little ones, unless you do massive daily water changes. I recommend a wet/dry filter with a 500 - 600 GPH return pump to use on that tank with powerheads for circulation inside the tank. Aeration will be taken care of by the wet/dry filter so you don't need to run an air pump.
Old 05-14-2012
pinoy

Keeping: cherry spot,duboisi,mpulungu,Ikola

Quote:
Originally Posted by SunnyHouTX View Post
Skimping on filtration is not the way to maximize on the number of fish you keep. With just two sponge filters, I can't imagine keeping a lot of fish, even little ones, unless you do massive daily water changes. I recommend a wet/dry filter with a 500 - 600 GPH return pump to use on that tank with powerheads for circulation inside the tank. Aeration will be taken care of by the wet/dry filter so you don't need to run an air pump.
i agree. bro i know how it feels. the cost of electricity back home is not cheap. but here's what i've done in the past when i used to live in the islands. ( i had a 26" arowana and oscars then ) i ran a small diesel generator ( during brownout/blackout ) to power my filtration. and got all my water from the pump well. see if this is something to consider.
but we all know, fishkeeping back home is not an average joe. if you know what i mean. so if i were you, i will not cut down on filtration for your pricey fish. if you can afford to buy this trophs, i'm sure you can afford to pay extra peso for electricity. just raise your fry price to cover some of the expenses.

(210g) 7ft long
(240g) 8ft long

Check out my tanks and stand build.
HERE...
Old 05-15-2012
cricket355

Keeping: Pemba orange flame

Quote:
Originally Posted by bitey View Post
hello fellow hobbyists! would like to get your opinion on stocking a standard 100 gal. tanks... 6 feet x 1.5 feet x 1.5 feet.... silicas and around 2 inches and 3 main rocks... 2 sponge filters... how many duboisi juvies can it hold comfortably until they become fully grown? can around 40 pcs of around 1.5 to 2 inches work? unitl they become adults? i am cutting down on electical expenses and opted to use 2 sponge filters only... will have to add eventually another2 when the juvies grow up... thanks

bitey
Like to add my 2 cents. I have a 125 gal. with three aquaclear 110 filters and powerheads for water movement and aeration inside the tank. To be honest I don't know the figures when it comes to electricity. I do know that this formula has been working for me and my trophs for over 2 years now.
I am not partial to a wet dry filter just find the aquaclear very easy to maintain.
My powerheads are set up to circulate water and break the surface to provide oxygen transfer.
Anyway, good luck with your tank.
Old 05-15-2012
raemaruk

Keeping: Tropheus Murago, Ilangi & Petrochromis Red Bulu Point

Quote:
Originally Posted by SunnyHouTX View Post
+1
sound advice
Old 05-15-2012
TrophAddict

Keeping: WC Chaitika, WC Nkonde, WC Moba II

your definately going to need alot more filtration than that.. ALOT MORE filtration i cannot state this enough.
Old 05-15-2012
SunnyHouTX

With an adequately sized wet/dry, you have many advantages:
*it can handle a massive bio-load
*it will aerate the water
*it can handle mechanical filtration with the use of filter pads on/under the drip tray and just before the return pump

Also, the only electrical load is by the return pump, powerhead/s, heater and light. It shouldn't be a huge expense if you plan on keeping Tropheus. If you can't provide the proper equipment for these guys, best save up and hold off till you can.
Old 05-17-2012
Mastiffman

DIY Sump is a great Idea and can be made Fairly inexpensively! (i.e. 20gal+ rubbermaid Tote and lid, some egg crate [light defuser], some cheap dish scrubbies, body poly padding, a 3\4 bulkhead+ gate valve and some PVC tubing)

Here are some decent pumps that can be found online adn fairly good price and their wattage useage... purchase from HERE
You can get the 2800ss (782gph @ 1ft head) for $36 Shipped to your house roughly... I got one from this place and it's very nice and fairly quiet! Pumps AWESOME! The Hyperflows are kind of loud because of their Ceramic Shaft and Bearings.

CLICK HERE

Good luck and hope you decide to go with a sump! Or if you can, find a use Fluval FX5!
Old 05-20-2012
bitey

Thanks all you guys for your inputs.. been keeping trophs for only over a year.... so for some update... i got an overhead filter with a 18 watt powerhead... supported by three sponge filters and a corner filter... have ceramic rings inside the tank... corals for the ph and activated carbon pack... 2 airpumps running the sponge and corner filters (each airpump precision-pr8500 runs at 6 watts) so i guess my set up is okay for now... this houses 25 young adult tropheus moorii moliros... 100 gal standard. for the other 100 gal... have 17 moliros and 38 duboisi at around 1 to 1.5 inches in size... have 2 sponge filters running it and an overhead filter (w/c is under powered for now) i do weekly water changes more or less 1 to 2 times at 30%... will keep you guys updated and will try to post pix soon.. thanks again for all your inputs guys..

a singel powerhead consumes 25 watts.. having around 4 airpumps at 6 watts each is a good trade in any day for me... but still can go without a powerhead... was using 2 powerheads with triple layer ohf before and 1 sponge filter... traded off one of the powerheads for the sponge filters.. tnx dudes

bitey
Old 05-20-2012
bitey

some pix for you guys to see.. thanks for viewing!