Home Forum Articles Sponsors Affiliates CP Map Chat FAQ TOS
Go Back   Trophs.com > Tropheus Forums > Tropheus Tanks & Equipment

Notices

Tropheus Tanks & Equipment Discussion of tanks, filters, heaters, lighting, UV and other equipment.

Old 12-28-2011
flyfisher2

::Profile::
Default Eheim Quality Issue

I've been having a bad year with my eheim gear. I purchased two heaters last year for my 90 gallon tanks and both malfunctioned. After contacting eheim's customer care and submitting the required proof of purchase I received two replacement heaters from the seller. All things considered not bad.
I also purchased an eheim 2075 canister filter about a year and a half ago for my Tropheus tank. Initially it wouldn't prime...again I contacted eheim and they told me I had a defective impellar. A new one arrived a few days later and my filter was running. Two weeks ago my real problems began. In the middle of the night my daughter tells me, "Dad there's a lake under the fish tank" Yep, the eheim!
I cleaned it, reseated the cover and it was fine ... for two days! Then again and again and again.
I've tried contacting eheim by e-mail. No response. By phone, their mailboxes are full and they aren't taking messages. I fear eheim is no longer the company I have been faithful to for the past 25 years. I just ordered two Hagen Aquaclear 110's for the tank.
Sadly I can't recommend eheim anymore. As far as I'm concerned all thats left is the higher price margin for an inferior product.
Old 12-28-2011
swk

unfortuantely, you may be a victim of your choice of canister model. The pro3 series has been underwhelming in every regard. They have been poorly reviewed since their release. The classic series and the pro2 series are bulletproof and are the reasons why eheim has the name and reputation that they have.

I think all heaters these days are hit and miss. Of them all though, I've had the least amount of issues with the eheim models. At least they don't explode, like the stealth models have done.

Sorry to hear about your run of bad luck. Try the fx5, or run a sump!
The Following User Says Thank You to For This Useful Post:
flyfisher2 (12-28-2011)
Old 12-28-2011
tinhle01

You may need to do some research prior purchasing any product. The professional series were all having many issues, but the classics series are almost perfect. I've used many fiters from HOB, HOT, to Canister, but by far, the Eheim Classic series are the best of all for the quality and price. I ended up replaced all of my filters to Eheim Classic 2215 and 2217, and currently, I have about 10 of them on my 6 fish tanks. I would never recommend any product but the Eheim Classic series, and I swear by it. It is funny that my Eheim alone cost more money then my whole aquarium set up (bought fish tanks off craigslist at a bargaining price ) As long as I change 50% of water on weekly basic, my aquarium water is as clear as crystal.
The Following User Says Thank You to tinhle01 For This Useful Post:
flyfisher2 (12-28-2011)
Old 12-28-2011
JimA

Keeping: Red Rainbows inda house

I picked up a 2075 off c,list quite a few months ago for like 30 bucks,thought it was a decent deal. He did say it leaked and thought it needed a new head gasket/o-ring. Anyway, I got it home and cleaned it up and even replaced the o-ring. Now no matter what I tried I could only get it to pump for maybe 5 to 10 sconds then it would lose prime and stop then water would be inside the head itself. I did a ton of research and found a old thread from some european fish forum. Basically I found that Ehiem had a leaking problem in the actual head itself with the 2075 and a couple of others. Many were able to contact Ehiem and they replaced it with a bit of -itching to them and a good sob story. I didn't persue it. For one I didn't need to or have time to deal with it and for 30 bucks wasn't worried about it. The second one was, the dang cat in the garage knocked off my work bench and it broke at the clamps. Here is a cut n paste I had from that thread. You could probably find it if you look. Just type in Ehiem 2075 leaking problems something like that. In your case it may be worth going after Ehiem I remember reading that it just took a long time.

Here is part of the one I found.

I returned them to my lfs that I have been going to for years so have a good relationship with they returned the units
And swapped them for a 2180+ media set as I had to buy a fx5 to replace the 2075's whilst they were sent away
My lfs told me that they had been told by Eheim that the problem was with the tap conector locking mechanism
The plastic seals that were used shrunk after about 6/9 months and so started to leak
This problem only affects the 71's 73's and 75's as the 2180/2080 have a different locking system.
I have also noticed that some of the online sellers are now selling a newer version of these filters which makes me think that maybe Eheim have sorted out the problem they are also now selling thermo versions of these filters
The Following User Says Thank You to JimA For This Useful Post:
flyfisher2 (12-28-2011)
Old 12-28-2011
JkdJedi

Quote:
Originally Posted by tinhle01 View Post
You may need to do some research prior purchasing any product. The professional series were all having many issues, but the classics series are almost perfect. I've used many fiters from HOB, HOT, to Canister, but by far, the Eheim Classic series are the best of all for the quality and price. I ended up replaced all of my filters to Eheim Classic 2215 and 2217, and currently, I have about 10 of them on my 6 fish tanks. I would never recommend any product but the Eheim Classic series, and I swear by it. It is funny that my Eheim alone cost more money then my whole aquarium set up (bought fish tanks off craigslist at a bargaining price ) As long as I change 50% of water on weekly basic, my aquarium water is as clear as crystal.
+1 Theres some youtube vids on the same problem with these professional series out there. But yes the Eheim Classics are just that...classics.
Old 12-28-2011
flyfisher2

From what I'm reading it looks like my problems with the 2075 won't be easily fixed. I'm just a bit ticked off because I bought it new for much more than I paid for the 2017 I gave away to my uncle several years ago. I'm wondering if I'll be happy with the Hagens I just ordered or I should have gone another route.
Old 12-28-2011
swk

The 2217 is pretty weak. I would consider the 2260 or 2262, depending on tank size
Old 12-29-2011
buba

Keeping: Ikola, Kasakalawe, Duboisi, Golden Kazumba

I also had 2075 Eheim leaking issue.
My friend also...
At the same place, through that prime thumb.

We sent filters back to factory, they were repaired, but since then I don't have trust in that filter. He is in big bucket and I'm checking him and waiting for another leak.

Big shame on Eheim and their reputation, cause they know for that problem with prime thumb, and haven't issued any statement. They should pull back that series that have problems and correct them.

F...k the filter, but last 6 months I have to excuse to my wife, and convince her that there will be no leaking, but on the other hand just waiting **** to happen again...

As others said, old series is completely different story- trusty and worthy.

But that new Professional 3 series, is peace of crap.
Old 12-29-2011
JimA

Keeping: Red Rainbows inda house

The one thing that really ticked me off is you can only buy a new head/pump for the 2075 or other bigger ones in europe and they are not cheap. You might as well go buy a new canister. Infact all of their parts are not priced very well.
I have a 2032 (I think) and has worked great but recently the handle assembly broke. While I know Ehiem does make some very good canisters I will never buy another. There are just too many others to choose from that are more affordable. Even the FX5 is a better buy from a price stand point.
Old 12-29-2011
flyfisher2

I'm still trying to contact eheim... no progress. I've been sending e-mails and trying the phone. Mailboxes are full and you just can't get through.
As I said, eheim is no longer the company it used to be.