Home Forum Articles Sponsors Affiliates CP Map Chat FAQ TOS
Go Back   Trophs.com > Tropheus Forums > Tropheus Talk

Notices

Tropheus Talk Discussion of Tropheus in general.

Old 12-28-2006
Heather

::Profile::
Thumbs up

Just wondering how everyone was introduced to Tropheus keeping and how long it's been.

We'd love to hear your stories
Old 12-28-2006
Gerry

Started keeping tropicals about 18-20 years ago. Started with a pair of kribs and a 33 gallon tank. Progressed to a bigger tank (90 gallon) and different SA/CA cichlids, including some beautiful wild caught blue discus. I eventually found my way to africans. By this point, I was at about a dozen tanks with cichlids from almost each continent, even some nasty polleni.

The lfs I sometimes dealt with brought in some tropheus. I decided to try a colony of about 25 mpulungu's. All went well for a couple of months and then they contracted bloat. I had no clue on how to treat them and the lfs where I got them didn't know how to deal with the condition properly either and I eventually lost the entire colony one fish at a time. I had tried some anti biotics, but I was too late and with the wrong medication.

It was the most agonizing 2 weeks of my cichlid-keeping experience. I decided I would never keep tropheus again, basically blaming the fish for my lack of knowledge.

Earlier this year, I joined another forum that has a pretty good section on tropheus and petros. I was down to my last tank at the time. I was keeping a few tangs in it and was looking at just filling out the tank. I had sold the other 5 or 6 100 gallon+ tanks I had in the 6 months previous.

Well, dang if the tropheus bug didn't bite me right on the arse while reading some of the posts. I noted how some of these guys were keeping their tropheus and also saw several posts where members were being advised on how to deal with bloat and how successful they were in dealing with it. At that point, I realized my lousy experience with the moops 10 years ago was not uncommon.

I decided I would try a group of tropheus. I bought a dozen nsumbu bay moori off a local hobbyist who was virtually giving them away. I figured he was almost giving them away because they weren't breeding. He of course denied it and I didn't really care. They were cheap enough where I could afford the loss if I screwed up again. I didn't even vent them, since the price was right and this was going to be an experiment anyways, right?

Well, they did really well for me but they were very hard on each other. I did vent them and found 11 males and one poor girl. I decided I wanted to try spawning tropheus and I had a colony of bembas brought in for me. I traded in the nsumbu and then right after the bembas, I brought in a colony of wild caught moops.

All of a sudden, Im back up to 5 or 6 tanks again and I'm spending all my time researching variants and prices and who seems to have the most success with what ratios and tank sizes and rockwork, etc....

A few months ago, I tried NLS with the bembas. They contracted what I believe to be bloat because several of them would literally gorge themselves on the food. I thought " oh boy, here I go again". I followed a sticky advising on using a certain medication and 2-3 days after starting that treatment, I went from 3 not eating to about 10.

I contacted John (Jolley) by pm (He was, in my mind, the most experienced tropheus keeper posting on the forum), being too embarrassed to post publicly, and he did a heck of a job advising me on course of treatment and talked me through the entire process. I didn't lose a single fish and John deserves the credit for that fact.

Well, after that ordeal and with John available over the internet should I need his expertise, I was pumped and just brimming with confidence. :fies010: I jumped into the tropheus world with both feet and haven't looked back yet.

I did trade in my bembas since I needed tank space for the blues, but they did throw about 60 fry in the short time I had them. I'm still growing out a nice group of 21 of the little rascals.

Now, I'm housing 4 colonies of tropheus and one colony of utinta cyps. I've got about 70 of their fry growing out right now.

I think that's about enough from me. I hope I didn't bore you to sleep, lol. Thanks for reading.

Gerry
Old 12-28-2006
Bentho

In 84 I got my first frontosa group. The guy that imported them in for me also brought in 2.4 adult Tropheus duboisi I didn't have the cash for them (I was 14) and he sold them to someone I knew and he got them spawning right away. So I kept bugging this guy for them and I ended up doing landscaping work at his place to payoff the adults.
Old 12-28-2006
buntbarsch

Well, I do remember when the first Tropheus arrived. That was back in the old country and I was still too young/poor to be able to get some of these guys. That was end 1950, beginning 1960. I had just started with some cichlids and was reading the articles in the magazines. It wasn't until the mid 1970's that I got my first Tropheus, I believe it was Rotunga and I never looked back. At that time I was already a member of the "German Cichlid Association" and access to newly discovered fish was not a big problem anymore. There were all kinds of new cichlids discovered during these days in both Lake Tanganyika and Lake Malawi and it was surely an exiting time for cichlid nuts.

I don't remember how many different variants I have kept over the years but I have never lost interest in these fish and they have always been my favorite until today.
Old 12-28-2006
jolley

Wow, Gerry! That was a great read. And I don't mean the part about me. But thank you for the kind words. I'm glad everything worked out. Well, that was a very interesting read. Thank you for taking the time to share that with us.
Old 12-28-2006
jolley

Hey, Bentho. So what variants are you keeping now? Now that you're 37.
By the way, I'm 37 too.
Old 12-28-2006
buntbarsch

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Heather @ Dec 28 2006, 06:33 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
Quote:
Just wondering how everyone was introduced to Tropheus keeping and how long it's been.
We'd love to hear your stories [/b]
How are your Chaitikas doing or did they get the better of you ??????
Old 12-28-2006
Bentho

the 70's and I felt old for 84 Thanks for making me feel better.
Old 12-28-2006
Heather

Great stories gang keep them coming

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(buntbarsch @ Dec 28 2006, 08:15 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
Quote:
How are your Chaitikas doing or did they get the better of you ?????? [/b]
They're doing great Klaus thanks for asking

My story is simple, I am keeping Tropheus.. because of Klaus...
Old 12-28-2006
jolley

Hey, Klaus. That is quite a history.

Of course you don't remember, you're too...........just kidding.
I'm sorry, I couldn't help it. I really am kidding.

Thanks for sharing with us.