Home Forum Articles Sponsors Affiliates CP Map Chat FAQ TOS
Go Back   Trophs.com > Tropheus Forums > Tropheus Talk

Notices

Tropheus Talk Discussion of Tropheus in general.

Old 04-28-2016
pvk

::Profile::
Default Stocking density

It seems that the general consensus for Tropheus husbandry involves more densely stocked aquaria with a composition of keeping lower numbers of males to females. I've seen youtube videos where there are so many fish in a tank that they are dispersed almost evenly throughout the aquarium, and seem almost subdued with regards to behavior/ aggression. I've also read that if you stock too thin and there are too few to establish a "pecking order", that one dominant male may occupy the entire footprint of the aquarium and keep all other fish cornered in one section of the tank. I have several questions.

1) With regards to natural behavior, do Tropheus live in larger groups in the lake?, or does one male tend to occupy and claim a certain square footage of real estate and court willing females to his area to spawn?

2) Has anyone had experience with keeping a smaller group in a larger aquarium, say for example... one male and six to eight females?

I know they always say that there are no stupid questions, and I apologize in advance! Would appreciate your input/ education. Thanks very much!
Old 04-28-2016
pvk

I came across a nice summary article from December 2008 issue of Tropical Fish Hobbyist written by Wofgang Staeck. I'll try to attach the link below. He specifically cites other papers that describe intra-species aggression related to two types of aggression, that include "mating aggression" and "feeding aggression". What I found interesting is that while study of the feeding territories can vary from a reported 2-13 square feet, the mating territories can have diameters ranging from 10-13 feet, that calculates out to sq footage of 78 to 132 respectively! Wow! Still interested in finding out if anyone has kept a tank with only one male? and a harem of females?
in a species only tank? in a tang "community" tank? - Prashanth

http://www.tfhmagazine.com/details/a...ary-part-1.htm
The Following User Says Thank You to pvk For This Useful Post:
JimA (04-28-2016)
Old 04-28-2016
JimA

Keeping: Red Rainbows inda house

What I am finding is that in my 8ft tank with close to 50 Rainbows have stopped breeding. They are males which I see dominating their sections of the tanks, but I have not seen any holding for at least a year now. Not sure why as perams have stayed the same and they are all eating great. I have tried changing up the aqua-scape to no avail. The adults are approx. 8 to 9 years old now, with various sizes of smaller and mid sized fish. My only guess is there is no need to reproduce with the number that's in there? Do they have that awareness that if the colony numbers in a given space are fine, no need to hold. That being said I do see them going through the motions of reproduction. Just no holding. I also do not really know the ratio, but I am guessing there are more males than females, yet no aggression or harassed females.
The Following User Says Thank You to JimA For This Useful Post:
pvk (04-28-2016)
Old 04-28-2016
JkdJedi

Quote:
Originally Posted by pvk View Post
It seems that the general consensus for Tropheus husbandry involves more densely stocked aquaria with a composition of keeping lower numbers of males to females. I've seen youtube videos where there are so many fish in a tank that they are dispersed almost evenly throughout the aquarium, and seem almost subdued with regards to behavior/ aggression. I've also read that if you stock too thin and there are too few to establish a "pecking order", that one dominant male may occupy the entire footprint of the aquarium and keep all other fish cornered in one section of the tank. I have several questions.

1) With regards to natural behavior, do Tropheus live in larger groups in the lake?, or does one male tend to occupy and claim a certain square footage of real estate and court willing females to his area to spawn?

2) Has anyone had experience with keeping a smaller group in a larger aquarium, say for example... one male and six to eight females?

I know they always say that there are no stupid questions, and I apologize in advance! Would appreciate your input/ education. Thanks very much!
I haven't seen any videos showing Tropheus schooling together in Lake Tanganyika, they seem to be spread out and the comments above suggest a wide sg feet of feeding territory seems to be the norm, you can't replicate that in a 4 ft tank! Stocking 30+ tropheus in a tank makes more sense (to lessen aggression on any targeted fish).

I've read that Tropheus can be really tough on the females so the rule of The More The MErrier (imo) would/should also apply with 1 male w 6-7 females. Of course someone will chime in and say NONSENSE! But it's been my experience and I've witnessed Total Annihilation of groups because of the small numbers.
The Following User Says Thank You to JkdJedi For This Useful Post:
pvk (04-28-2016)
Old 04-28-2016
pvk

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimA View Post
What I am finding is that in my 8ft tank with close to 50 Rainbows have stopped breeding. They are males which I see dominating their sections of the tanks, but I have not seen any holding for at least a year now. Not sure why as perams have stayed the same and they are all eating great. I have tried changing up the aqua-scape to no avail. The adults are approx. 8 to 9 years old now, with various sizes of smaller and mid sized fish. My only guess is there is no need to reproduce with the number that's in there? Do they have that awareness that if the colony numbers in a given space are fine, no need to hold. That being said I do see them going through the motions of reproduction. Just no holding. I also do not really know the ratio, but I am guessing there are more males than females, yet no aggression or harassed females.
Thank you, Congratulations on maintaining a group for so long! Given their age, I wonder if they may be past their prime of reproductive age. Keeping individual fish healthy for 8 to 9 years is a great achievement. The footprint of the display aquarium i'm working on is a little shorter than 8 feet... 30in X 78 in. Main goal is to have robust, healthy and colorful fish, and hope that they last as long as your group!
The Following User Says Thank You to pvk For This Useful Post:
JimA (04-29-2016)
Old 04-28-2016
pvk

Quote:
Originally Posted by JkdJedi View Post
I haven't seen any videos showing Tropheus schooling together in Lake Tanganyika, they seem to be spread out and the comments above suggest a wide sg feet of feeding territory seems to be the norm, you can't replicate that in a 4 ft tank! Stocking 30+ tropheus in a tank makes more sense (to lessen aggression on any targeted fish).

I've read that Tropheus can be really tough on the females so the rule of The More The MErrier (imo) would/should also apply with 1 male w 6-7 females. Of course someone will chime in and say NONSENSE! But it's been my experience and I've witnessed Total Annihilation of groups because of the small numbers.
Thank you as well, would love to keep any losses to a minimum for sure. With my luck, I'll get them acclimated to local water, get through any bloat/ feeding issues, only to have a rogue fish take out most of the others once in the display! I guess that's why they call this a hobby!