Home Forum Articles Sponsors Affiliates CP Map Chat FAQ TOS
Go Back   Trophs.com > Tropheus Forums > Tropheus Talk

Notices

Tropheus Talk Discussion of Tropheus in general.

Old 08-31-2015
baby puffer

::Profile::
Keeping: Cyprichromis, Paracyps, Electric Yellows, Guppies, Tropheus Mpulungu, cyp kigoma
Question what ages?

My beautiful new babies (mpulungu ) just entered their new tank and seem quite happy. It's been a few hours and I see a few aggressive ones. I know they need to establish their order but I'm wondering at what age or size does it get serious. They are 1.25" right now.
I see alot of shaking going on as well..??
Old 08-31-2015
Mastiffman

Dominance starts from the time that they can swim, even with egg sack not fully consumed.

To them, it's serious from day one! But, referring to spawning activity, you have a good year before males get crazy. But you will see the action increase over time but not to worry. It will plateau and just be good ole Tropheus Colony Dynamics.

Normally you are looking at them being at least a good 2.5" and around a good 16-18months old.

Just make sure that you have at least 2 medium sized rock piles on each end of the tank and maybe a few hiding spots in between and you'll be good. The worst damage comes at the end of a straightaway. So if the dominant male (or female) has to make a bunch of dips dives and turns, they won't be able to do much but nip fins. But sooner or later you will see some serious male to male combat. It's just the nature of the creature in a confined space.
Old 08-31-2015
baby puffer

Keeping: Cyprichromis, Paracyps, Electric Yellows, Guppies, Tropheus Mpulungu, cyp kigoma

Wow that's great info. Thank u! I will do the rock piles just as u said.
The Following User Says Thank You to baby puffer For This Useful Post:
Mastiffman (08-31-2015)
Old 08-31-2015
Mastiffman

You bet.
Old 09-01-2015
baby puffer

Woke up this morning to much more aggressive fish lol. I did make the two rock piles and they seem to try and claim all of it but there are too many of them to be able to. I gave them just a few crumbs of spirula this morning as a snack. Would that be a good regiment to start? Morning snack then their pellets they were raised on late afternoon/dinner?
Old 09-01-2015
Mastiffman

I would continue on their breeders food. Then crush up into tiny bits whatever new food you want to give them and put a tiny pinch in a day for at least 2 weeks while continue with their normal food as said above. Then if you don't see any issues, which you shouldn't, only putting in one tiny pinch of powder per day, then you can slowly (and I stress Slowly!) increase the amount of food each week until they are getting what you want them to have.

Slow and steady wins the race with Tropheus every time. I wouldn't even start feeding them a new food until a they are settled in for a couple of weeks.

I've been guilty of this myself in the past of wanting to change things to quickly. And trust me, it doesn't work.
Old 09-01-2015
baby puffer

Thumbs up

Makes sense. I will do that.Thank you for all your help. Mistakes I dont have to make.
Old 09-01-2015
Mastiffman

Exactly. Good way to think. Being prepared and proactive is always the best preventative.