Home Forum Articles Sponsors Affiliates CP Map Chat FAQ TOS
Go Back   Trophs.com > General Aquaria Forums > General Aquaria

Notices

General Aquaria Discussion for general topics of aquaria.

Old 01-24-2016
fisher

::Profile::
Keeping: a ton of tangs
Default Air cargo shipping rates? (nationally)

I posted this question on cyphos but I figure some of the tropheus guys here ship out just as many if not more fry so i'll post this question here as well.

It seems that whenever I receive fish through air cargo I usually pay $60-$70 for a 15#-20# box. (example) But when I send out a box it seems to cost $80-$90 or more for some reason. Is this just another type of Minnesota tax or are others paying similar prices?

What have you guys been paying?
Old 01-25-2016
jrogo

It depends how you ship them out. I know when I ship with Southwest, I can ship out a box for about $50-65 freight. If you ship Rush or Next Flight Guaranteed it is more expensive. Ive never had an issue shipping freight, as long as I stay away from Chicago airport.
Old 01-25-2016
TroPhish

Keeping: Tropheus moorii 'Kasnaga' & Tropheus duboisi 'Maswa'

1. Southwest is a few $ cheaper than Delta, but you have to get certified to ship with them and Delta you do not. The people may be shipping to you with Southwest. And you may be shipping with Delta.
  2. DASH shipping with delta is expensive. If you are doing that, it is often unnecassary. Most people ship standard air cargo.
  3. Delta charges 10 bucks to fill out the Airway BIll for you. If you fill that out yourself ahead of time, it will save you this $10.

That is where are the nickels and dimes are coming from. Hope that helps.

John Irby
Old 01-25-2016
fisher

Quote:
Originally Posted by jrogo View Post
It depends how you ship them out. I know when I ship with Southwest, I can ship out a box for about $50-65 freight. If you ship Rush or Next Flight Guaranteed it is more expensive. Ive never had an issue shipping freight, as long as I stay away from Chicago airport.
I always ship plain old freight but it's still $10-$20 more then when I receive packages?
And yeah...Chicago is TERRIBLE! Most of my shipping delays have been through that station.
Old 01-25-2016
fisher

Quote:
Originally Posted by TroPhish View Post
  1. Southwest is a few $ cheaper than Delta, but you have to get certified to ship with them and Delta you do not. The people may be shipping to you with Southwest. And you may be shipping with Delta.
  2. DASH shipping with delta is expensive. If you are doing that, it is often unnecassary. Most people ship standard air cargo.
  3. Delta charges 10 bucks to fill out the Airway BIll for you. If you fill that out yourself ahead of time, it will save you this $10.

That is where are the nickels and dimes are coming from. Hope that helps.

John Irby
Thanks John! I've been a know shipper for a few years now through sw and would much rather go through sw then delta (although delta does heat their cargo hold which is a bonus for shipping fish from Minnesota in the winter) but they both still seem to charge more for sending then incoming? It's getting frustrating because everybody expects their box to be $60 or so and it ends up being $20-$30 more then expected.
Old 01-26-2016
stewartj22

It's probably because of what Jrogo said. I ship thru SW - Freight is about $50 and NFG costs about $85 for boxes with same weight and dimensions.
Old 01-26-2016
TroPhish

Keeping: Tropheus moorii 'Kasnaga' & Tropheus duboisi 'Maswa'

Ah yeah, there you go. Basically their version of DASH. Thats probably where the cost is coming from. Packed well, normal freight will be just fine.