Home Forum Articles Sponsors Affiliates CP Map Chat FAQ TOS
Go Back   Trophs.com > Tropheus Forums > Tropheus Talk

Notices

Tropheus Talk Discussion of Tropheus in general.

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1  
Old 12-05-2015
dhavalsp
Status: Offline
Junior Member
 
::Profile::
Join Date: Sep 2015
Posts: 13
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default Juvies hiding

So i have a group of 12 tropheus in a planted tank. i have had them for about 2.5 months...they have grown from about 1 inch to 2.5 inch on an avg. i feed them 3 times a day and do 30-40 WC weekly. PH around 7.2 ( but they have been bred and kept at that since birth)

My issue is they are still hiding and occupy lower area of the tank. Do all the normal chasing, i have never seen anyone beat up. Just want to figure out if it is just a growing up phase.if so then generally at what size/age do they get a little more bold and start moving freely, even to the upper portion of the tank.

if this is not normal, what could be the reason? i have adequate hiding space in the form of driftwood and all, plus plants provide good coverage, do you feel adding rocks would help my case?

Please let me know.

Thanks, Dhaval
Reply With Quote
  #2  
Old 12-05-2015
mefishy
Status: Offline
Junior Member
 
::Profile::
Join Date: Oct 2015
Posts: 17
Thanks: 0
Thanked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Default

It sounds like ur tropheus might bloat.
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 12-06-2015
LittleAfricaAquatics.com's Avatar
LittleAfricaAquatics.com
Status: Offline
Trophs.com Owner Sponsor And Admin
 
::Profile::
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Louisville, Ky
Keeping: A lot
Age: 45
Posts: 3,965
Thanks: 767
Thanked 654 Times in 439 Posts
Images: 53
Send a message via MSN to LittleAfricaAquatics.com
Default

Trophs even at 1" are bold and very active so doesn't sound right. Also as you already know ph is very low for them and that wood isn't helping the water conditions they prefer. As long as their eating well your probably fine, but does seem odd, I would switch tank around, reset it and see if that helps, is there other fish in the tank?
__________________
LittleAfricaAquatics.com
Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old 12-06-2015
dhavalsp
Status: Offline
Junior Member
 
::Profile::
Join Date: Sep 2015
Posts: 13
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default

I have 5 saulosi and 1 Abn plecos... They were added later... And has not impacted their behavior as such... Saulosi, roam about freely.

I am planning to add some argonite substrate, but I am really worried about switching the ph drastically... Any thoughts on how to make the switch?! Ads about 2 pounds every week?!

I don't think they have bloat issues... All eating well... Growing well...

Thanks for you your help.

Dhaval
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old 12-06-2015
mefishy
Status: Offline
Junior Member
 
::Profile::
Join Date: Oct 2015
Posts: 17
Thanks: 0
Thanked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Default

I am glad they are eating well. Mines has bloat and I have treating them the last 4 days. I noticed that with more water changes that they started to act more normal. Maybe try more water changes once per day to see if that helps.
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old 12-07-2015
dhavalsp
Status: Offline
Junior Member
 
::Profile::
Join Date: Sep 2015
Posts: 13
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default

I don't think I will spoil them with daily water change, I will try doing 35% twice a week for now. I will keep you guys posted.

I always see them moving around if I don't feed them in the afternoon. May be I should reduce the feeding to 2 times a day...what are your thoughts on that?
Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old 12-07-2015
Troyale
Status: Offline
Senior Member
 
::Profile::
Join Date: Sep 2013
Location: Maryland
Keeping: WC Nkonde, F1 Red Ndole, WC/F1 Bulu Point
Posts: 340
Thanks: 42
Thanked 81 Times in 66 Posts
Images: 23
Default

Is your tank in a high traffic area, does it get direct sunlight, and how much time do you usually spend around the tank? They might not be used to much traffic or use to you moving about. Also if its planted tank they have the option to to find lots of cover, which is pretty much their natural instinct. They should at least swim eagerly when its feeding time.
Reply With Quote
  #8  
Old 12-08-2015
JkdJedi's Avatar
JkdJedi
Status: Offline
Senior Member
 
::Profile::
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: Coachella, California.
Age: 51
Posts: 1,513
Thanks: 121
Thanked 120 Times in 111 Posts
Images: 11
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by dhavalsp View Post
So i have a group of 12 tropheus in a planted tank. i have had them for about 2.5 months...they have grown from about 1 inch to 2.5 inch on an avg. i feed them 3 times a day and do 30-40 WC weekly. PH around 7.2 ( but they have been bred and kept at that since birth)

My issue is they are still hiding and occupy lower area of the tank. Do all the normal chasing, i have never seen anyone beat up. Just want to figure out if it is just a growing up phase.if so then generally at what size/age do they get a little more bold and start moving freely, even to the upper portion of the tank.

if this is not normal, what could be the reason? i have adequate hiding space in the form of driftwood and all, plus plants provide good coverage, do you feel adding rocks would help my case?

Please let me know.

Thanks, Dhaval
Tropheus are at their best when kept to themselves in a tank, and 12 is kinda of low, the more the merrier is the Tropheus motto. To boost your ph a little try keeping crushed coral in a meshed bag and place it in your filtration, (I use to keep it as substrate but when one of my Trophs accidently swallowed a piece and died right in front of me I stopped practicing or using it as a substrate, keep it in the mesh bag).
Reply With Quote
  #9  
Old 12-08-2015
dhavalsp
Status: Offline
Junior Member
 
::Profile::
Join Date: Sep 2015
Posts: 13
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Troyale View Post
Is your tank in a high traffic area, does it get direct sunlight, and how much time do you usually spend around the tank? They might not be used to much traffic or use to you moving about. Also if its planted tank they have the option to to find lots of cover, which is pretty much their natural instinct. They should at least swim eagerly when its feeding time.
It is in the living room, so it gets enough share of traffic, direct sun for a bit in the morning. the lights are on for about 10 hours everyday.

They swim eagerly during feeding time, but they wont run the whole height of the tank, probably because they have figured out that the sinking pellets are going to come down...

In the past few days I have reduced feeding time to 2 times a day, and I have been seeing some more eagerness. My next step is to adjust for PH.

Currently, debating crushed corals vs aragonite. might go with crushed corals as it seems to be the easier option at this point.
Reply With Quote
  #10  
Old 12-08-2015
JkdJedi's Avatar
JkdJedi
Status: Offline
Senior Member
 
::Profile::
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: Coachella, California.
Age: 51
Posts: 1,513
Thanks: 121
Thanked 120 Times in 111 Posts
Images: 11
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by dhavalsp View Post
It is in the living room, so it gets enough share of traffic, direct sun for a bit in the morning. the lights are on for about 10 hours everyday.

They swim eagerly during feeding time, but they wont run the whole height of the tank, probably because they have figured out that the sinking pellets are going to come down...

In the past few days I have reduced feeding time to 2 times a day, and I have been seeing some more eagerness. My next step is to adjust for PH.

Currently, debating crushed corals vs aragonite. might go with crushed corals as it seems to be the easier option at this point.
And if you can get some Epsom Salt ( tablespoon every 10 gallons) will help a lot.
Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks

Tags
hiding, juvies

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
For Sale: F1 Ilangi juvies trophic Buy, Sell & Trade 3 07-11-2012 11:34 AM
For Sale: F1 ilangi juvies tangjim Buy, Sell & Trade 7 06-14-2012 11:05 PM
Hiding fish? JimA Tropheus Disease, Health and Nutrition 5 02-08-2012 09:41 PM
WTB Illangi fry's / Juvies Kiddice Buy, Sell & Trade 0 06-09-2009 02:50 PM
Lufubu Juvies Silverdusk Tropheus Species & Variants 8 09-25-2008 04:30 PM


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 12:43 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2018, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.