Home Forum Articles Sponsors Affiliates CP Map Chat FAQ TOS
Go Back   Trophs.com > Tropheus Forums > Tropheus Talk

Notices

Tropheus Talk Discussion of Tropheus in general.

Old 05-01-2011
Piper

::Profile::
Keeping: Lufubu

Hopefully I will be stocking in a few of weeks. Cleaning and sorting through a ton of used equipment is a pain. Leak testing the 30G sump currently.

This will be my first colony of Tropheus. I have a small colony of Mbuna in my 55G tank. This new (used) tank is 125G. I have been planning all along to get a large colony of juveniles, maybe 30, to stock depending on the numbers available of what I want. I have recently given some thought of getting a smaller group of WC to start the colony. Was thinking of letting the smaller group naturally populate the tank. I don't think I know enough currently to know what might be a bad idea or have a preference. As a first time Tropheus keeper do you guys have any advice on how to initially stock. F0-F1-F2? I would like to breed but do not plan to do much selling. This is primarily for my own enjoyment. If the local guys want Tropheus, I might accommodate if there are fish I need to move. Odds are high currently that I will buy from a shipper unless something unexpected comes along. I will stay with a single species in that I have been told that is a bit easier to deal with. I have seen comments that WC can take some time to acclimate.

Your thoughts and does and don't for a first colony would be appreciated.

Jim
Old 05-01-2011
playtime

Keeping: moori mbita'ikola'illangi'
Send a message via MSN to playtime Send a message via Yahoo to playtime

i think you should go with f1 as a first timer wild caught is much more harder to deal with if you dont do everything just right they can all die very easily the f1 are much more hardy and easier and you will appreciate them so much more when you grow them out and see all the colours coming in you get to know your fish as they grow troph all have different personality gool luck Dwain
Old 05-01-2011
Pam Chin
Trophs.com Ambassador

One of the most exciting things about keeping Tropheus is getting a group of young juveniles and watching them grow up. You get to see them bond socially. You get to know them they get to know you, and its just tons of fun. You don't have to worry about ratio's, as they grow up they sort it all out. I would buy a minimum of 30 for your size tank.

Cichlid Power!
Pam
Old 05-01-2011
JkdJedi

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(playtime @ May 1 2011, 11:45 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
Quote:
i think you should go with f1 as a first timer wild caught is much more harder to deal with if you dont do everything just right they can all die very easily the f1 are much more hardy and easier and you will appreciate them so much more when you grow them out and see all the colours coming in you get to know your fish as they grow troph all have different personality gool luck Dwain[/b]
+1
Old 05-02-2011
geost

+1, get tank raised, if it is a common variety in your area try to source them from different reputable breeders if at all possible. 30 is a great number to start with. Enjoy the experience!
Old 05-02-2011
Mr. Johnson

Send a message via AIM to Mr. Johnson

I find that settled groups of WC tropheus are just as hardy as F#.

B/C this is your first colony, I would go with a settled WC group or some young ones.

However, if you are up to the task and have done some homework a recent WC is very doable.

I would stock that tank with 30-40 fish.

Good luck! Tropheus are addictive fish brahhh.
Old 05-02-2011
Piper

Keeping: Lufubu

Thanks for all your input! I think a large group of juveniles is the way to go. I have 18 juv Mbuna in my 55G and as they grow that tank is looking smaller and smaller.

I hope I can find a shipper that has 30 of one of our chosen species. I commonly see up to 10-25 but might be harder to find 30.

Jim
Old 05-02-2011
swk

Getting fish from a couple of sources is always a good idea. Chances are most fry from a single source are siblings, so splitting the group from multiple sources will diversify the bloodline of your group. This is a real bonus if you're looking to recoup some of your costs by selling the fry you produce. Yeah paying for shipping x2 sucks, but depending on what varient you choose you may be able to source some locally. Good luck!