Home Forum Articles Sponsors Affiliates CP Map Chat FAQ TOS
Go Back   Trophs.com > Tropheus Forums > Tropheus Talk

Notices

Tropheus Talk Discussion of Tropheus in general.

Old 02-25-2010
dwillingm

::Profile::

Hi All,

After months of waiting for my house addition to be built, I am finally setting up my tank this weekend. :lol:

It is a 90 gallon 48 x 18 x 24, with a corner overflow and a 30 gallon sump. Filtration will be from a Eheim 2078. There will be 2 hydor korallia 1200 gph powerheads for circulation.

I have 100 pounds of PFS rinsed and ready to go, along with quite a few large 8"+ river rocks for aquascaping.

I have 25 Red rainbows reserved from Reserve Stock Cichlids. I want to add small number of a few other species for some variety. Here is what I am planning. Please give me your input on my plan and setup. Pictures soon to come. Thanks!

25 Red Rainbows
4 Neolamprologus maranguensis
4 Eretmodus cyanostictus
4 Julidochromis marlieri Burundi

Old 02-25-2010
dwillingm

I forgot about the comments I have read about the neolamprologus becoming too aggressive when breeding. It is hard for me to imagine a few neo's causing problems with such a large school of tropheus. Do they just go nuts and attack everything?

Maybe I should replace that selection with some Cyprichromis?

Also, am I overstocking? I was going to get 25 tropheus to take into account any losses or weak males that need to be culled.

Thanks.
Old 02-25-2010
billansor

Send a message via Yahoo to billansor

Howdy

It's fun to get a fish tank up and running and having the excitement of putting it all together... Remember that New car smell you get when you get into brand new vehicle in the showroom... Well... Brand new tanks setting up for new fish... has that same new smell... errr look too...

And speaking of it being all together... Boy.. You have all the fantastic ingredients.... Good filtration.. Good water movement.. Your in great shape.

Hopefully you will be able to get some seed filtration material from another tank in order to cycle the tank really well... Because when you get those fish in, There will be quite a spike in the water chemistry from the fish, not you are overloading the tank per se.. but rather the tank and water will take time to get used to the number of fish hitting it. It would be kinda good to have some fish in the tank to keep it cycling and getting more beneficial bacteria going.

Be prepared to have to do some water changes during this cycling period when you do get your fish in......

The fish..... Excellent choices for the most part...

The gobies and Red Rainbows will be easy... an excellent choice

The other two are quite territorial. Both are bottom stratagem type fish for the most part and I can tell you that both will stand their grounds... More the Brichardi type than the Julies............

Now having said that.. there are always exceptions... I would go and try them and be prepared to make interventions as they pair and stake territories.

I had 5 of the maranguensis growing out in a 6 footer 135 gallon. In the tank are Red Rainbow's, Ikola and Petro Trews.

There were three females and two males of the maranguensis. When they paired and each into their own corner.. the lone female got nailed pretty badly and I had to pull her out. (She is doing fine now).....

What is interesting is that the one pair is keeping the territory pretty well taken care of even to the pushing the largest male trew around from time to time... Its a riot watching these smaller guys push this quite a bit larger guy around..

I see nothing wrong with your setup, plans and just would caution you to watch and be prepared......

Again,,,, Congratulations on your new addition to home and new addition of the fish tank!!

Bill
Old 02-25-2010
dwillingm

Thanks for the input Bill. I have a few days to decide what other fish to add with the trophs. Maybe I should choose between either the Julie or neolamp species.

I have been running my canister filter for a month out of a 5 gallon bucket. I seeded the filter and I add about a teaspoon of pure ammonia everyday. I am cycling that amount of ammonia down to 0 in less than 12 hours, but am still dealing with some nitrite. I think it will be ready to go in 1-2 weeks when the fish come.

You dont think things will be too overcrowded?
Old 02-25-2010
geost

I agree with Bill, just let your tank cycle and your fish load slowly. Either fish you like will work but consider a school of nice cyprichromis of any type in there too.
Old 02-25-2010
billansor

To answer your question...

Nope.....

The fish crowding is not going to be an issues since you have some great filtration and water movement...

Your doing awesome!

George made some good recommendations on the cyps..... lots of fun..

Bill
Old 02-28-2010
dwillingm

I got the tank set up this weekend. The eheim 1262 return pump was way too much flow for my overflow, so the sump isnt running yet.

Here are some pics. I tried using less rocks, but i really didnt like the look of it. I can split it into two piles later if necessary. Do you all think this will be ok as is?

Old 02-28-2010
dwillingm

not sure why the second link will not work. could someone let me know what i did wrong?
Old 02-28-2010
billansor

Hi there

Wow...

Talk about a tank that is rich looking...

I have some thoughts on the rocking...

If you could perhaps use the large ones as a base and then add some smaller types to make a variation for different hiding opportunities.. You may have a better effect with your tank...

Go into the gallery and check out some schemes...

Here is an example of T-Position

This is from Williesand33

And from Exodus99

Do check the photo gallery under tank shots

Bill
Old 03-01-2010
dwillingm

Thanks for the advice, I like the idea. Are the smaller rocks going to help if/when the trophs start spawning?

There are some really large open caves in my rockwork that you cant really see in the pictures. There are lots of places to add some smaller rockwork.

Pictures of fish next week if all goes as planned.