Home Forum Articles Sponsors Affiliates CP Map Chat FAQ TOS
Go Back   Trophs.com > Tropheus Forums > Tropheus Talk

Notices

Tropheus Talk Discussion of Tropheus in general.

Old 11-04-2009
geo_tropheus

::Profile::

I am planning on stocking a 75 gallon tank with Black sp. Bembas. I have 23 fish ordered, what is the maximum number of fish that I could house without placing the tank at risk of overcrowding. I also would like the fish to breed without overcrowding as well. Could I house shelldwellers as well within the tank? I am thinking Multies or Telmatochromis temporalis shell.

Thanks
Old 11-04-2009
billansor

Send a message via Yahoo to billansor

Welcome to Trophs. Geo and Hi..

Notice that this is one of your first posts.... and a good question....

If your 75 has some good filtration (what kind of setup do you have) and if you have some good water movers... You should be able to get about 30 in there...

There are some ifffys about this tho...

Are the ones you are getting... are they juvies or fry??
or
Wild Caught or F1's adults??

If they are juvies or fry, then I would consider getting about 40 into that tank and thin it out as time goes on...

If they are wild caught... you may have some issues with 23 in that small of a tank... Be sure you watch them for quite a while and feed sparingly... You may want to have some good rocking with hiding spaces...

If they are F1's, you can breathe easier and get about 30 into that tank.. again with good rocking..

The temporalis are kinda on the mean side and you won't have a good turn out of fry...

The other shelly may become food...

You may want to just stick to tropheus only in that size of a tank...

My two bits...

and Again.. Welcome

Bill
Old 11-05-2009
geo_tropheus

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(billansor @ Nov 4 2009, 11:01 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
Quote:
Welcome to Trophs. Geo and Hi..

Notice that this is one of your first posts.... and a good question....

If your 75 has some good filtration (what kind of setup do you have) and if you have some good water movers... You should be able to get about 30 in there...

There are some ifffys about this tho...

Are the ones you are getting... are they juvies or fry??
or
Wild Caught or F1's adults??

If they are juvies or fry, then I would consider getting about 40 into that tank and thin it out as time goes on...

If they are wild caught... you may have some issues with 23 in that small of a tank... Be sure you watch them for quite a while and feed sparingly... You may want to have some good rocking with hiding spaces...

If they are F1's, you can breathe easier and get about 30 into that tank.. again with good rocking..

The temporalis are kinda on the mean side and you won't have a good turn out of fry...

The other shelly may become food...

You may want to just stick to tropheus only in that size of a tank...

My two bits...

and Again.. Welcome

Bill [/b]
Thank you for your response billansor. I am going to take your advice and stick with the Tropheus. The fish are all F1 juvenilles that I purchased from Davesfish.com He has been kind enough to hold them for me until I move back to Houston. What do you think about adding sand dwellers? I will respond back tomorrow.
Thanks again for the advice. Ill try to keep you posted.