Home Forum Articles Sponsors Affiliates CP Map Chat FAQ TOS
Go Back   Trophs.com > Tropheus Forums > Tropheus Disease, Health and Nutrition

Notices

Tropheus Disease, Health and Nutrition Discussion of Tropheus diseases, general health, nutrition and water conditions.

View Poll Results: with what did you feed your fish and bloat them?
slowly sinking granules - had bloat 1 3.85%
slowly sinking granules - hadn't bloat 6 23.08%
flakes - had bloat 7 26.92%
flakes - hadn't bloat 8 30.77%
pellets - had bloat 6 23.08%
pellets - hadn't bloat 6 23.08%
live food - frozen or not (shrimps, worms) - had bloat 2 7.69%
live food - frozen or not (shrimps, worms) - hadn't bloat 0 0%
my own "DIY" food (mix of vegetables, crustaceans, vitamins) - had bloat 0 0%
my own "DIY" food (mix of vegetables, crustaceans, vitamins) - hadn't bloat 1 3.85%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 26. You may not vote on this poll

Old 07-11-2014
Mastiffman

::Profile::

Quote:
Originally Posted by rrraptor View Post
Drew,

You are correct, it has always been the new fish to get the bloat, or as in the last case it was just POP-EYES, and lost them all if you remember about a yr ago. All while the established ones were breeding while the new ones were dying off.

I do belive that I remember that. But what I can't remember if these fish were adults or fry... Sorry.
Old 07-11-2014
rrraptor

Keeping: Tropheus D. Maswa, Tropheus Kasanga RR's,

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mastiffman View Post
My question is which fish got bloat?

I'm guessing the new ones... I think that may narrow down a possible cause for you.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mastiffman View Post
I do belive that I remember that. But what I can't remember if these fish were adults or fry... Sorry.
Last case was with all adults that were affected. The only time before that I had it
appear it's ugly head was back some 25 yrs ago and it was a mixture of Sub-adults and Adult tropheus. I have never seen bloat/pop eye in any fry or juveniles I have had and currently have.

3-WC White Calvus (trio)
21-F1 Tropheus RR Sub-adults
19-F1 Tropheus Maswas Sub-adults
1-55gl full of F1 white Calvus juveniles
7-Cyathopharynx Foai Sibwesa
Old 07-11-2014
Mastiffman

Quote:
Originally Posted by rrraptor View Post
Last case was with all adults that were affected. The only time before that I had it
appear it's ugly head was back some 25 yrs ago and it was a mixture of Sub-adults and Adult tropheus. I have never seen bloat/pop eye in any fry or juveniles I have had and currently have.
I hear ya. I did a couple times in the past and it was only when I fed my Tropheus NLS. Not that NLS is a bad food. I don't like it. Especially with larger fish as it put s a fine dark orange dusting over the entire tank over the course a couple of weeks. But Cyphos can be messy eaters. Maybe I could have paid more attention to the details of their tank being such a low lit and dark tank overall.

But as soon as I cut out the NLS from the (excludng Thera A+ which oddly enough I had good luck with!?) I stopped seeing any issues with their eye's and didn't see anything again for years until I started geting WC Fish last year. So not sure why that was.
Old 07-11-2014
timber317

Read the ingredients of NLS-Thera A and you will find 2 ingredients that are in there that most people don't even think about. I firmly believe that those 2 along with everything else that's in there keeps fish clear of parasites.
Old 07-11-2014
Mastiffman

Quote:
Originally Posted by timber317 View Post
Read the ingredients of NLS-Thera A and you will find 2 ingredients that are in there that most people don't even think about. I firmly believe that those 2 along with everything else that's in there keeps fish clear of parasites.

Garlic is Defintely one of them. What's the other Magneseum?
Old 07-11-2014
1971ls6

Keeping: Ikola, kasanga, Maswa

When onf2 changed the blend, I went to a 25% of each of, omega veggie, daunichi veggie fx! your fish stuff veggie and the new nls algaemax, all are the smallest size! dainichi is the baby?if figue that if I run out of one, it is no big deal. I premix batches and then feed from the can of the mix.

What one of the 4 would you eliminate? I have also noticed colored poop strings on the smallest 1 1/2 inch red rainbows.

I guess I should see which ones have the highest moisture content. Is there any chance that by leaving the food jar under the canopy if that helps humidy the food?
Old 07-11-2014
Mastiffman

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1971ls6 View Post
When onf2 changed the blend, I went to a 25% of each of, omega veggie, daunichi veggie fx! your fish stuff veggie and the new nls algaemax, all are the smallest size! dainichi is the baby?if figue that if I run out of one, it is no big deal. I premix batches and then feed from the can of the mix.

What one of the 4 would you eliminate? I have also noticed colored poop strings on the smallest 1 1/2 inch red rainbows.

I guess I should see which ones have the highest moisture content. Is there any chance that by leaving the food jar under the canopy if that helps humidy the food?
Keeping the highest moisture content would be the best.

I'm still wondering the difference between the fiber that trophs eat in the wild and the fiber that we are feeding them. Basically I'm thinking along the lines of to much fiber can cause bowel obstructions... I had a Nephew that was eat 2-3 apples a day without telling his parents and his bowels became impacted and had to get "flushed" as he started feeling very poorly.

So I'm not sure if that could be one aspect of it along with other facters such as misture... Also I'm thinking in the aspect of optimal diet here. Not just what I want or what's good enough.

I like of idea of optimizing the color of the fish but feeding pellets that enhance color is going to cause longevity issues or instant issues, I'd rather just feed them the best thing and cull ut what is not regualrly displaying their best color and setlle for not having Popping Color that is desired and may not be a real representation of the true colors of the fish.
Old 07-12-2014
1971ls6

Keeping: Ikola, kasanga, Maswa

I think I am going to cut out the nls algaemax, as that is a 10% fiber! the others are 2-4%, what is optimal.

I was thinking I could use one of my humidors to put some moister in a small test batch. The ONF2 was 14% I think ? If I can get my cigars to 70%, 20% should be easy.
Old 07-14-2014
MaswaKeeper

Keeping: Dubosi Maswa and Illangi

Andrew,
Are you solely feeding Ocean Nutrition: Formula Two pellets or do you use something else also? I am currently using just spirulina flake and I am wondering if I should switch to or add something new.

Thanks
Old 07-14-2014
Pam Chin
Trophs.com Ambassador

I think a variety of foods are best. Tropheus forage in the wild, they never know what they are going to find along the way. If you could see what they eat in the wild, you would scratch your head and wonder how it could be. Also there are some blooms of different bugs, and shrimp that only happen once year, and you know they are stuffing themselves when this happens.

I primarily feed a cheap green flake high in fiber, and then offer "treats" of other richer foods occassionally, maybe weekly, maybe monthly.

I think they are many good foods out there, but generally speaking I think we have a tendancy to over feed our fish. Its easy to do, they are such good beggars and will eat anything offered.

Remember food is something that YOU have total control over.

In the wild they are lean and mean, and that is what I am striving for.

Cichlid Power!
Pam
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Pam Chin For This Useful Post:
GMfrontosa (07-15-2014), MaswaKeeper (07-14-2014)