Home Forum Articles Sponsors Affiliates CP Map Chat FAQ TOS
Go Back   Trophs.com > Tropheus Forums > Tropheus Disease, Health and Nutrition

Notices

Tropheus Disease, Health and Nutrition Discussion of Tropheus diseases, general health, nutrition and water conditions.

Old 07-16-2008
twofronts

::Profile::

greetings gang, I have been feeding my new little chimba nls 1mm cichlid formula, mixed with soft hbh spirulina.

Just within the last week i have fished out 4 dead. Not eaten or anything just dead. no signs of what got to them. Could it be the food or possible over feeding?

Not sure of the amount but it didnt appear to be over feeding, I have other larger fish in the tank with them so no food is wasted. So could the be over eating themselves or what.

Water changes are done once a week if not every other week.

I started with 27 now I down to 20 or so, tank is heavily decorated so the count now is hard to do.

thanks for reading.
Old 07-16-2008
t-position

sorry to hear that. :crying: how long has the tank ben setup? have you checked your water parameters? have you noticed any signs that they might have had bloat? i will say that i had 20 duboisi going on adult size in with 20 juvies and i fed the whole tank nls and sprilina. the 20 smaller ones would out eat the big ones and would contract bloat from time to time. i would treat them individually with great success but it finally got old and i separated the small ones from the big ones fed the small ones less and they never got bloat again. those dubs are the only brush with bloat i have ever had. you would have noticed the signs though and would have had time to treat them. had any of them been less active, not eating, separating from the group, listless?
<span style="color:#ff8c00"><span style="color:#000000"><span style="color:#ff8c00">showmethosekazumbas</span></span>!!!</span>
Old 07-17-2008
Gerry

Aside from t-positions good questions, how big are they?

If they're less than 1.5", I wouldn't feed 1mm. I'd either feed the nls grow formula or flake until they got to at least 1.5". Tropheus have a digestive system that is uniquely prone to blockage. Fair size pellet and new small tropheus = trouble.

The other thing I would do right away is remove most of the decorations. You want to be able to see all the fish at the same time and you need to try to watch them all eat until they've been established for a couple of months. It's really when you're feeding that you can tell who's not eating. That's the first sign of trouble and you want to know as soon as it starts.
Old 07-17-2008
Mr. Johnson

Send a message via AIM to Mr. Johnson

I don't think it's over feeding. I find it hard to do that with trophs. How much are you feeding them at one time? How much times are you feeding them in one day?
Old 07-17-2008
t-position

once tropheus are "absolutely settled in" you can feed them like crazy it seems like!..like i said though i have had juvy duboisi get blocked up by the 1mm nls. i do exactly what gerry said about sticking with the nls growth or hbh flake for smaller fish.
<span style="color:#ff8c00"><span style="color:#000000"><span style="color:#ff8c00">showmethosekazumbas</span></span>!!!</span>
Old 07-17-2008
t-position

once tropheus are "absolutely settled in" you can feed them like crazy it seems like!..like i said though i have had juvy duboisi get blocked up by the 1mm nls. i do exactly what gerry said about sticking with the nls growth or hbh flake for smaller fish. sorry about the double post..little computer problem.
Old 07-17-2008
twofronts

the tank has been set up for quite some while so my water parameters should be good. far as feeding and size the are all over 2inches but still very young. I will switch to flakes, monitor and remove some of the decor. Had 3 more pass on me last night. Good thing i got these lil buggers cheap or i would be out of a heap of change. I did notice that one that passed was away from the group and jus sitting on the bottom. Seem likes it could have been bloat. That is the only thing i can think of just from what i have been reading and seeing with mine. I will cut back the feeding and switch over to flakes till they get a little older, blend it in.

Im only feeding twice aday and only what they can consome, mind you i have other fish that are eating if not most of the food all of it. Strange, but i will monitor and switch over to flakes for a while to my death ratio slows up.
Old 07-17-2008
t-position

i would probably hit that tank with some metro so that you stop the chain reaction of trophs dying. follow the instructions exactly that are on the bottle and you'll get that problem turned around if it is indeed bloat. it sounds like you may need to treat the colony at the rate they are dropping. you have to make sure every single one is eating and not spitting food out. sometimes tropheus get constipated or blocked up due to their long digestive tract and they don't eat as a result...i've had trophs not eat for a day or two but they fought it off without treatment. other times, like this one possibly, you need to help with the process. if you even think they have bloat it's probably a safe idea to treat them.
Old 07-17-2008
Heather

I'm very sorry to hear this, you have some good advice and are in good hands here

I am concerned about what you've been feeding which could potentially lead to bloat :Thinking:

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(twofronts in the "Feeding Your Trophs" thread)</div>
Quote:
although im new to trophs but i feed about 3x weekly, 3 for sure on weekends.

HBH soft spirulina pellets mixed along with 1mm cichlid formula NLS

Occasion frozen bloodworms

Some color granuals.

so far so good, I did however have 2 fish mysteriously crash on me but hey what can you say.[/b]
Old 07-17-2008
Gerry

If you lost 3 more, treat the tank asap!