Home Forum Articles Sponsors Affiliates CP Map Chat FAQ TOS
Go Back   Trophs.com > Tropheus Forums > Tropheus Breeding

Notices

Tropheus Breeding Discussion of Tropheus conditioning, breeding, venting/sexing, fry care and rearing.

Old 05-05-2015
Trophaolic

::Profile::
Keeping: Duboisi, Eret kigoma, Comp Chaitika, Bulu Point Leleupi
Default Caught, bred and released.

Saw this video on youtube where Saulosi are being bred lakeside and released to the lake due to the dwindling number at the location (The video mentioned Taiwanee Reef)

I hope they do the same for endangered trophs (Maswa, Ilangi, Tanzania Murago...)...
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Trophaolic For This Useful Post:
dannyt (05-06-2015), JimA (05-06-2015), Mastiffman (05-06-2015)
Old 05-06-2015
Mastiffman

And They said it wouldnt work...

"noooo, it might contaminate the laaaaake!!??"
Old 05-06-2015
dannyt

Keeping: 72 gal bowfront 22 F1 Mpulungu are in da house!!

Cool vid. Great idea for sure.. Seemed like a couple of dead ones in each bag though. I wonder if they died in transit or got crushed in the airless bags as the divers descended. Perhaps a better release strategy would be lowering them down in cages to release them. Just a thought
Old 05-06-2015
Mastiffman

Quote:
Originally Posted by dannyt View Post
Cool vid. Great idea for sure.. Seemed like a couple of dead ones in each bag though. I wonder if they died in transit or got crushed in the airless bags as the divers descended. Perhaps a better release strategy would be lowering them down in cages to release them. Just a thought
I agree. I'm sure it's all a learning process for them at this point as good innovators always take the chance, even if risky, to try and improve the status quo. But it is good to know that people that have doubted this kind of process are wrong. This video is proof! I was unfortunately "belittled" by some that clearly just don't have or only have limited foresight as to how something like this could be possible and just how important it could be for some species.

I really hope that this opens the eye's of those in the past that were not optimistic enough to see that an option like this could work for those Tropheus that are so dearly admired and endangered in the lake.

Some of us really are not in this hobby "just for money". We love the core of the hobby itself as well as the fish that we keep and provide for others and the rare opportunities to show others that it's possible to take action to increase the longevity of the fish we love, even in the lake. It's not impossible. Just tough and risky.
The Following User Says Thank You to Mastiffman For This Useful Post:
dannyt (05-06-2015)
Old 05-07-2015
carddude123

Keeping: Ilagni & Dubois Maswa

pretty damn cool. Next they should do some Ilagni and other endangered or extinct in the wilds.
The Following User Says Thank You to carddude123 For This Useful Post:
Mastiffman (05-07-2015)
Old 05-07-2015
Mastiffman

Quote:
Originally Posted by carddude123 View Post
pretty damn cool. Next they should do some Ilagni and other endangered or extinct in the wilds.
Yeah you'd figure with all of the fuss made about them with the people that are endorsing the promoting of the conservation that they would do something more like this. Instead of just the promoting of it on public forums and social networking sites or what have you.

It would be interesting to find out how the process took place with the Saulosi conservation program and what would be needed to have a program like this setup on the lake for the Tropheus end of the spectrum. There might not be a much of a potential success for others like the Tropheus on Lake Tanganyika based off of location of collection points. But the rest seems completely plausible.

I'm sure that IF there were people that were financially trustworthy enough or if the trust was not an issue, motivated enough to take on the task (which, money would have to not be that big of an issue to these people for the needed funds to setup such a facility) I'm sure that a public donations would be more than abundant from the community which could be everyone's way to give a little help to the cause. I know I would!

But the status quo will not do much outside of the USA.
Old 05-20-2015
Trophaolic

Keeping: Duboisi, Eret kigoma, Comp Chaitika, Bulu Point Leleupi

Check this article from africandivingldt, in the section "Day 6 - Tropheus moorii “Murago Tanzania”: On the fast track to extinction?", toward the bottom of this section is this paragraph:

"Please do not purchase wild Tropheus moorii “Murago Tanzania”. Bred fish from already imported wild individuals or fish bred at the lake should soon be (and perhaps already are) available from breeders/dealers."

Are they saying Tanzania Murago are being bred at the lake? If so, it is good news...

Here's the link to the article.
http://blog.africandivingltd.com/201...-of-genus.html
Old 05-20-2015
Mastiffman

I think that they are saying to be aware as the fish my already have been collected and bred to be sold and that they are discouraging ANY buying of the fish.

These fish were being collected long before April 2014. There's someone on Facebook that already admitted that they had some imported a while ago.