Home Forum Articles Sponsors Affiliates CP Map Chat FAQ TOS
Go Back   Trophs.com > Tropheus Forums > Tropheus Talk

Notices

Tropheus Talk Discussion of Tropheus in general.

Old 10-09-2011
jaymusson1

::Profile::
Default w/c Trophs vs Pond Bred

Look at this interesting read

http://www.springerlink.com/content/.../fulltext.html

The observed changes in the common pond environment were consistent in all four study populations. The most impressive change concerns orientation of the mouth. In cichlids, but also in other fish families, structural differences in trophic morphology have been related more to the way food is captured and processed than to the type of food consumed (Barel 1983; Yamaoka 1997; Wintzer and Motta 2005). Hence, the change in the angle of the mouth could be interpreted as a response to less scraping from the rocks, in addition to more sucking in the water column, as a consequence of the availability of flake food in the ponds. In the wild, an inferior subterminal mouth is characteristic for Tropheus and is used to scrape algae from rocks. Various studies demonstrate linkage between functional morphology in cichlid jaws and differences in feeding performance for Lake Victoria cichlids (Bouton et al. 1997, 1998, 2002). Albertson and Kocher (2001) compared jaw morphologies between two closely related cichlid species of Lake Malawi and found that many aspects of shape differences clearly reflect different modes of feeding. Fin size and shape is expected to affect swimming performance. High aspect ratios, defined as the square of the span divided by the fin area, characterize fast-swimming fishes, while low ratios are measured in fishes with low swimming performance but better maneuvering abilities (Weihs 1989; Videler 1993). Changes in fin structure of pond individuals could be a response to more quiet water and lack of predation within the ponds. Another interesting aspect concerns the population of Kekese, as it lives in deeper water than the remaining study populations due to the sympatry of a second Tropheus. While the pond effect goes in consistent direction (Fig. 3a, left side; Fig. 4), there are population-specific components in body morphology. We observed a somewhat distinct segregation among the populations from Ikola and Kekese (Fig. 3a, right side). This may be due to the fact that the Kekese population shifted towards greater water depths due to the presence of a second Tropheus species in its habitat, but this remains to be tested in a future study.
Tropheus Brichardi Ulwile
Tropheus Bulu Point
Petrochromis Moshi Yellow
Petrochromis Famula Kilewani
Petrochromis Trewavasae
Cyprichromis Leptosoma Utinta
Neolamprologus Brevis

Tank
Tropheus Ikola
Tropheus Chipimbi
Tropheus Kasanga
Petrochromis Polydon Chinga
Petrochromis Orthognathus Tricolor Mvuna
Old 10-09-2011
gernot

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaymusson1 View Post
Look at this interesting read

http://www.springerlink.com/content/.../fulltext.html

The observed changes in the common pond environment were consistent in all four study populations. The most impressive change concerns orientation of the mouth. In cichlids, but also in other fish families, structural differences in trophic morphology have been related more to the way food is captured and processed than to the type of food consumed (Barel 1983; Yamaoka 1997; Wintzer and Motta 2005). Hence, the change in the angle of the mouth could be interpreted as a response to less scraping from the rocks, in addition to more sucking in the water column, as a consequence of the availability of flake food in the ponds. In the wild, an inferior subterminal mouth is characteristic for Tropheus and is used to scrape algae from rocks.
Another good read from Sturmbauer. But the issue with the mouth orientation is known or at least the result is no surprise (and was mentioned in threads here on the forum before). The main concerns that Troph keepers here in Germany have towards Pond Raised are different.

Last edited by gernot; 10-09-2011 at 06:52 PM.
Old 10-09-2011
Gene D

Keeping: Namansi I, Kambwimba

Quote:
Originally Posted by gernot View Post
Another good read from Sturmbauer. But the issue with the mouth orientation is known or at least the result is no surprise (and were mentioned in threads here on the forum before). The main concerns that Troph keepers here in Germany have towards Pond Raised are different.
What are those concerns amongst German keepers Gernot?
Old 10-09-2011
JkdJedi

You can clearly see different mouth shapes between the Duboisi and the Moorii. As Duboisi (whos mouth is more in front)are found in deeper waters and feed off of rocks that are more vertical vs. the Moorii, (where the mouth is more under slung) in shallow waters feed from rocks under them. I personally don't think this would change in a captive species raised in a pond. 8)
Old 10-10-2011
jaymusson1

After keeping these two types before .I noticed these differences between them.Long before I read this document.
Like I said in previous posts.Its not the end of the world but is something interesting and thought I must share this.If I can find some old pic's I will post them.
Also gernot.I read what you put the other day and also agree with what you said.
Tropheus Brichardi Ulwile
Tropheus Bulu Point
Petrochromis Moshi Yellow
Petrochromis Famula Kilewani
Petrochromis Trewavasae
Cyprichromis Leptosoma Utinta
Neolamprologus Brevis

Tank
Tropheus Ikola
Tropheus Chipimbi
Tropheus Kasanga
Petrochromis Polydon Chinga
Petrochromis Orthognathus Tricolor Mvuna
Old 10-11-2011
gernot

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gene D View Post
What are those concerns amongst German keepers Gernot?
How they are being fed, how they are being kept, are the ponds (heavily?) medicated to avoid spread of diseases and are they really as old as their size suggest (big eyes)?

As Jay said, the thing with the mouth orientation is known to most hobbyists. It's not such a dilemma and can even happen to WC after years in captivity.