Home Forum Articles Sponsors Affiliates CP Map Chat FAQ TOS
Go Back   Trophs.com > Tropheus Forums > Tropheus Species & Variants

Notices

Tropheus Species & Variants Discussion of Tropheus Species, Variants & Collection Points... including ID questions.

Old 03-27-2009
dtscheung

::Profile::

I have a LFS selling the above.. and i wonder if it's a brichardi, moori or sp. I find it confusing when researching on the net.

Does anyone know what it most likely is? Can u pls share some pics?
Old 03-27-2009
Goathead

http://images.google.com/imgres?imgurl=htt...sa%3DN%26um%3D1

I believe its sp. black
Old 03-27-2009
salaczar

sp. Mpimbwe is its own species (or argued species) just like sp. black, sp. red, and sp. Ikola.
Old 03-27-2009
Goathead

I stand corrected :Thinking:
Old 03-27-2009
salaczar

Sorry about that GoatHead; I hope that you didn't take my correction the wrong way. I'm not entirely clear on the whole thing but as I understand it there's officially Moori, Duboisi, Annectens, and Brichardi. Sp. Red , sp. Black, sp. Ikola & Polli have unofficially branched from Moori while sp. Mpimbwe has branched from Brichardi.
Old 03-27-2009
dtscheung

so they all could mean the same fish?

brichardi mpimbwe pics on the web looks like juvs.

moori mpimbwe or sp. mpimbwe pics on the web looks like adults...
Old 03-27-2009
Goathead

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(salaCzar @ Mar 27 2009, 01:28 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
Quote:
Sorry about that GoatHead; I hope that you didn't take my correction the wrong way. I'm not entirely clear on the whole thing but as I understand it there's officially Moori, Duboisi, Annectens, and Brichardi. Sp. Red , sp. Black, sp. Ikola & Polli have unofficially branched from Moori while sp. Mpimbwe has branched from Brichardi.[/b]
Not at all, im happy to have my wrong ideas corrected.
Old 03-27-2009
Mr. Johnson

Send a message via AIM to Mr. Johnson

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(salaCzar @ Mar 27 2009, 12:28 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
Quote:
Sorry about that GoatHead; I hope that you didn't take my correction the wrong way. I'm not entirely clear on the whole thing but as I understand it there's officially Moori, Duboisi, Annectens, and Brichardi. Sp. Red , sp. Black, sp. Ikola & Polli have unofficially branched from Moori while sp. Mpimbwe has branched from Brichardi.[/b]
In 1975 Nelissen & Thys Van Den Audenaerde discovered some evidence to form a new group called Tropheus brichardi. Named after the man himself, cichlid importer Pierre Brichard.

I agree with salaCzar. Some say sp. brichardi and sp. Mpimbwe are the same and some say they are not. The same debate takes place with sp. ikola and sp. black.

I have seen it referred to as both tropheus sp. brichardi mpimbwe red ceeks and tropheus sp. mpimbwe red cheeks.

However, there is another interesting issue....

There is both the yellow cheek and red cheek varients. I don't know if these are found seperate or schooling together in the wild. I have tried to look for information on it but have found none.

Regardless, red cheeks are better looking of the two IMHO.

If you get the red cheeks from the LFS you will not be disappointed.

Good luck.
Old 03-27-2009
alzo

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Mr. Johnson @ Mar 27 2009, 07:33 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
Quote:
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(salaCzar @ Mar 27 2009, 12:28 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Quote:
In 1975 Nelissen & Thys Van Den Audenaerde discovered some evidence to form a new group called Tropheus brichardi. Named after the man himself, cichlid importer Pierre Brichard.

I agree with salaCzar. Some say sp. brichardi and sp. Mpimbwe are the same and some say they are not. The same debate takes place with sp. ikola and sp. black.

I have seen it referred to as both tropheus sp. brichardi mpimbwe red ceeks and tropheus sp. mpimbwe red cheeks.

However, there is another interesting issue....

There is both the yellow cheek and red cheek varients. I don't know if these are found seperate or schooling together in the wild. I have tried to look for information on it but have found none.

Regardless, red cheeks are better looking of the two IMHO.

If you get the red cheeks from the LFS you will not be disappointed.

Good luck.
[/b][/quote]

If you look at this map it looks like the cape (mpimbwe) itself separates the two with the Korongwe (Yellow cheek) being on the southern part and Msalaba (Red cheek) on the northern...

Interesting region of the lake!

Old 03-27-2009
t-position

you should get those red cheeks! i've almost pulled the trigger on them before because they are cool fish (nice blue eyes) and not alot of folks have em.

http://trophs.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=583

<span style="color:#ff8c00"><span style="color:#000000"><span style="color:#ff8c00">showmethosekazumbas</span></span>!!!</span>