Home Forum Articles Sponsors Affiliates CP Map Chat FAQ TOS
Go Back   Trophs.com > Tropheus Forums > Tropheus Tanks & Equipment

Notices

Tropheus Tanks & Equipment Discussion of tanks, filters, heaters, lighting, UV and other equipment.

Old 04-08-2014
Fish Junkie

::Profile::
Keeping: Kalambo,Blue Rainbow

You just have to run both tanks to one sump and split the return. The hard part will be figuring out what pump to use. I will have to be quite large so you get good flow in each tank but not to big to run the sump dry and overflow the tanks. It will take some tweaking but it can be done.
Old 04-08-2014
rhickman

Keeping: Currently DRY :'(

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fish Junkie View Post
You just have to run both tanks to one sump and split the return. The hard part will be figuring out what pump to use. I will have to be quite large so you get good flow in each tank but not to big to run the sump dry and overflow the tanks. It will take some tweaking but it can be done.
Or... Run two pumps, one for each tank, they each have their own drains, and they can each have their own returns.
Old 04-08-2014
Fish Junkie

Keeping: Kalambo,Blue Rainbow

Quote:
Originally Posted by rhickman View Post
Or... Run two pumps, one for each tank, they each have their own drains, and they can each have their own returns.
That would take up a lot of room in the sum. Leaving very little room for filtration.
Old 04-08-2014
rhickman

Personally I dont think so, if you want to properly filter two tanks at once it had better be a decent size sump.2 pumps, each one around 1000 gph, will fit and leave ample room for filtration.

Im not saying the Tee'ing of the line, and the super size me pump wouldn't work, but it wouldn't make sense. 2 1000 gph pumps run 120w, 1 Mag 18 pumping 1800 gph is using 150w, so its even more efficient that way.

Plus the tee will cause more head loss, where as one straight line off each 1000 gph pump will be more efficient for water flow. No matter what way you look at it, it doesn't really make sense, but IF the sump can't accommodate two pumps, it probably isn't big enough for 2 tanks worth of filtration in the first place.... IMHO.

I'm not saying the above wouldn't work, but from a numbers stand point, it wouldn't work as well.
Old 04-10-2014
gat3keeper

for 2 75 gallons of tank.

What should be a good size of sump? will a 35 gallons will do ? or even 20G perhaps ?
Old 04-10-2014
rhickman

I love these K1 sump ideas that a few members on here have employed. If you do a 30 gallon thats 36" long, three chamber sump. First chamber filter socks, second chamber K1 moving bed filtration, third chamber pump or pumps.

If you want to use just one pump I would say 2000 gph, by the time it splits and loses power to head height, you'll probably be looking at 600-750 gph in each tank. That coupled with a powerhead of some sort in each tank and your fish will be happy.

If you go the way I suggested, with two pumps, you can run 2 1200-1500 gph pumps with less wattage and more flow than a 2000 gph pump. You'd also have more flow and easier cleaning.