Home Forum Articles Sponsors Affiliates CP Map Chat FAQ TOS
Go Back   Trophs.com > Tropheus Forums > Tropheus Aquascaping

Notices

Tropheus Aquascaping Discussion of suitable rocks, substrates, tank decor, layout, etc.

Old 03-04-2013
JimA

::Profile::
Keeping: Red Rainbows inda house

Quote:
Originally Posted by TrophAddict View Post
i bet that sand was cheap too, and it looks good

Part of the allure 100lbs for 7.55 I am not one to skimp on stuff, but if I were to use PFS it runs about 14 bucks for 40lb bag and argonite would be spendy as well, and I don't need any buffering type stuff either.
Old 03-05-2013
Mastiffman

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimA View Post
Part of the allure 100lbs for 7.55 I am not one to skimp on stuff, but if I were to use PFS it runs about 14 bucks for 40lb bag and argonite would be spendy as well, and I don't need any buffering type stuff either.

Nice Jim!

Looks good though still... Here is a picture of a 40 gallon tank that I have some reganochromis in....

This is play sand from Home Depot. 50lbs bag for $3.53. Not sure how much I like it though... Was thinking of switching the background to black (paper background flips).

But I just don't know if I would want the sand in a 6ft tropheus Tank to look this dark or fine!
I'm windering how the "tube" sand would look as it's a more corse grain even with tiny pepbbles in it...

What do you all think? BTW, those lighter colored pieces are some CaribSea Reef Grade Aragonite Sand to help seed this stuff. But it's quite a difference in size for both being called "sand".

Old 03-05-2013
bpseoe

Keeping: Kachese, Ikola & Ilangi

looks good andrew.... i would try the black background aswell. other than that it looks awesome.
Old 03-05-2013
moganman

I bleached some sand recently. Made a big difference. That's what I would do with dark sand. The sun removes any bleach if left exposed for a few days.
Old 03-05-2013
longdrag

Keeping: Dubs, Ilangis, Kirizas, Moliros, Red Rainbows, Red Cheeks, Kalambos

White Play Sand from the Home Depot..

Old 03-05-2013
Phonetic Diabetic

Keeping: Duboisi Maswa

I used play sand from Home Depot. It needs a good rinsing, but it's cheap and looks natural.
http://s176.beta.photobucket.com/use...da986.mp4.html
Old 03-05-2013
Mastiffman

Quote:
Originally Posted by bpseoe View Post
looks good andrew.... i would try the black background aswell. other than that it looks awesome.
Thanks. Yes, that is what I ended up doing!

Quote:
Originally Posted by moganman View Post
I bleached some sand recently. Made a big difference. That's what I would do with dark sand. The sun removes any bleach if left exposed for a few days.
I just don't feel comfortable at all using bleach with anything that has to do with Aqautics...

Quote:
Originally Posted by longdrag View Post
White Play Sand from the Home Depot..

Looks nice although it is similar to the Aragonite that I run in the rest of my tanks...

The only company that I know of that makes an aragonite that is darker than the reef grade sand of CaribSeas is "Natures Ocean" and it's called "Austrailian Gold".. And it looks amazing but it's expensive!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phonetic Diabetic View Post
I used play sand from Home Depot. It needs a good rinsing, but it's cheap and looks natural.
Yep, this what I used in the tank above and it only need a moderate rinsing like you said. it might look better if it were in a more Brightly light tank!?
Old 03-05-2013
Phonetic Diabetic

Keeping: Duboisi Maswa

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mastiffman View Post
Yep, this what I used in the tank above and it only need a moderate rinsing like you said. it might look better if it were in a more Brightly light tank!?
Probably. Seems like the sand looks darker with the lights off and only sunlight from the windows in the room. With the tank lights on, it gets a lot lighter. I'm just using 2 standard 24" T8 fixtures.
Old 03-05-2013
noddy

I'm not sure about all the home depots but, the one near me has two different types of play sand. One type is dark like the one in Andrews pic, and the other one is light, like the one in longdrags pic. The dark one looks almost like brick sand. I think this is the stuff I buy (the lighter one).

Old 03-05-2013
#1 Cichlids
Site Advisor

Keeping: Tangs,Malawi,Haps

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phonetic Diabetic View Post
That's the same sand i use and worked out great.But man was it a pain to clean.I guess that's what you get for a great price