Home Forum Articles Sponsors Affiliates CP Map Chat FAQ TOS
Go Back   Trophs.com > Tropheus Forums > Tropheus Tanks & Equipment

Notices

Tropheus Tanks & Equipment Discussion of tanks, filters, heaters, lighting, UV and other equipment.

Old 02-01-2015
troph56

::Profile::
Keeping: Ilangi - Duboisii Maswa
Default Best LED to bring out Red's in fish ?

Just so you know I'm only posting this here because the Petro site is like a ghost town these days. I'm still keeping my Tropheus but I also have a group of Petro Red Bulu that I got from Don. They are over a year old and growing fast, my question is what is the best LED light for bringing out more of the red color without going over board. I previously had a Finnex monster Ray before I even had the Petro's but that light went bye bye. It was red alright but my fish looked like cartoons, I would never recommend this light to anyone !

I was thinking that plenty of Tropheus benefit from having a good red spectrum too so I thought I would ask. Rite now I have leds on my tank, but I thought I would see what other people are using to enhance the red coloration while keeping it natural looking in the tank. Thanks a head of time for any input

Lee
Ikola
Kasakalawe
Lufubu
Pemba
Katoto
Brichardi Katonga
Kiriza Gold
Petrochromis Red Bulu Point
Old 02-04-2015
pkut

Hi Lee,

Most likely, your best bet with this, would be a multiple color LED light that allows you to adjust the colors on it by individually dimming and brightening each of the white/red/green/blue LEDs on seperate circuits. They have these with remote controls.
This type of LED fixture as you probably already know, can be expensive. The expense may be worth it though, because you will be able to make color/shade adjustments to your own personal liking.
I would look for this type of fixture with a good percentage of white light in the 10,000K range. Generally, this is a pleasing, white light for observers to look at. The amount of RGB LEDs should be less. They will only be used to highlight the white light to the shades/coloration you personally prefer to see.
As I have said, this type of fixture can be expensive but I think that the extra, one time expenditure can save you from a trial and error situation. Good luck with it.

Paul
Old 02-04-2015
Mastiffman

Current USA Satellite Plus is amazing for focusing on Specific Colors. I think that it's be perfect for your needs.
Lots of Typical LED fixtures just have White and Blue LEDs But as stated above the Sat+ Has White and then R/G/B LED's and all are adjustable solely and can be fine tuned and saved to 4 different programmable buttons on the remote. 6 ft tank would be best lit with 2x 36" or 2x 48" as the Sat+ doesn't come larger than 48" at this point.
The Following User Says Thank You to Mastiffman For This Useful Post:
Vman (02-05-2015)
Old 02-05-2015
Vman

Keeping: Kasanga

I also love my satellite. It brings out the red beautifully on my Chimba. But I regret not getting the pro plus. It's about $100 more but I wish I paid the extra.