Home Forum Articles Sponsors Affiliates CP Map Chat FAQ TOS
Go Back   Trophs.com > Tropheus Forums > Tropheus Tanks & Equipment

Notices

Tropheus Tanks & Equipment Discussion of tanks, filters, heaters, lighting, UV and other equipment.

Old 01-02-2011
Mastiffman

::Profile::

Hey everyone I'm pretty excited! I found a great deal on CL for a 5year old 180gal Glass aqurium and I'm in the process fo setting it up.

I've built the stand, framing only, painted the back of the tank and I'm waiting on the 3D Feature Rock Background and a couple of Accent/ Decorocks to come in the mail on Tuesday from Universal Habitats. I will be picking up a few things today from HD and LFS like Black Plastic Mesh, Silicon and some Aragonite Substrate.

I was windering if any of you had a good idea of the size of holes that I should get in the mesh? Reason being is that I'm wanting to create some grates on each of the Featrue rock and Decorocks to create waterflow through them. Here is my idea. I'm not sure if I'm going to be putting my FX5 intake pipe inside of the Large Feature rock or Just an Aquaclear 70 Powerhead. Check it out and throw some ideas at me. I'm looking for show tank quality setup here so I want to hide as much as possible.

Large Feature Rock has incorrect proportioning to it. mine will be 22" high x 46" Long and 4"-10" range from front to back.

This is the smaller of the 2 Decorocks and this one will be attached to the larger Feature Rock on the r-side and Measures 8"H x 10"L x 9"W and the Larger of the 2 decorocks will be 12"H x 16"L x 16"W and will be going in the right corner of the tank.

And this will be the rough idea of the Complete Setup used in the tank. The background will actually be black.

Old 01-02-2011
Mastiffman

being that this a "Build Log" Here are the progression pics of the Stand and Tank as I have it so far.

Stand was made from PT 2x4's, Wood glue, Gorilla Glue (Ran out of Wood Glue) and 2" and 3" Deck Screws

Old 01-02-2011
Mastiffman

More

Spectators.... Big Momma Cedra (Brindle on the left) and Daughter Zelda (Obviously the Fawn).... 2 of the 4 that we currently have.

I decided to finish the stand afterwards so I went ahead a put the tank on the stand. I figure this way, if the stand need to settle a bit it can and then I'll put the skin on. Which will be some 1/2" Sandeply from HD.

Tank...

Test Fill. (I knew that it would be fine, hence the reason the test fill was done in the house.)

Stand Before Rotating around... I will be also Painting the Right side of the tank that will be in the corner....

Old 01-02-2011
Mastiffman

More...

40 Gallon that replaced the week old 50gal that broke, in the background...

I will be adding more pics this week of the Progress. Things to look for:

-3D Feature Rock BG and Accent Rocks arrival.
-Prep and install of Rocks
-Filter placement decisions and Placements (Taking Suggestions on this topic!)

I'm taking suggestions on Heater Placement as well. I was thinking that If I could hide the Heaters inside the Large Feature Rock or the 16" Corner Rock (I would place a powerhead inside this one heater went in there as well as making an access panel for PH cleaning).
Old 01-02-2011
slackline

Nice...I love build threads!
Old 01-02-2011
Mastiffman

Yeah, me too. I told myself that when I started this I would do the same.

Here is the tank after spinning it around yesterday. I didn't have anyone but my 5'3", 105lbs wife to help me so I Pulle d few drawers from our bedroom Dresser. Used the hallway carpets folded in half with the carpet on the outside, to slide the dresser over to the tank. Used one more Hallway carpet on top of the dresser and two bthick bathroom rugs on top o f that. Lifted one end up and over to the dresser, moved the end stil on the stand to the popposite end and then put the end on the dresseer back on the stand. Took all of about 20mins to do. Defintely Worth not having to Beg family to come over and help! LOL

There is a piece of 9" long Texes Holey Rock (limestone) inside the tank.

I turned on one of the two Coralife 36" Dual Strip lights in this one.

If anyone Wonders why the tank has sections painted black in a Half-A.. Kind of manor it was because I needed to use the left over paint that was in the pan in between coats before washing out the roller.
Old 01-02-2011
smidey

nice progress, well done.
Tropheus Duboisi, Tropheus sp. Black (Pemba), Tropheus sp Red (Moliro), Tropheus sp. "Ikola", Altolamprologus compressiceps (Gold Head), 'Lamprologus' ocellatus (Gold), Cyphotilapia Frontosa & lots of fry.
Old 01-02-2011
nicadmous

Location: Orange, CA, USA, Mars, 2nd star on the right an straight on till morning
Keeping: soon

I love what you have so far! I'm in the process of setting up my 135 tank myself. I didn't build my own stand, i just added support to it because the back looked ridiculously weak.

I like the idea of having the powerhead circulating the heat throughout the tank, i'm not sure about placement though. I'm still new to aquarium builds so I'm not good at giving advice for this.

My setup is a bit different, no i won't be giving away my secrets...just kidding haha. I'm building my own background as soon as i get some funds for the styrofoam...don't even know where to get it yet since my local home depot doesnt have it...gotta look at another shop...anywhoo, as for my heater...i have it place outside of the tank connected to the canister filter so that is hidden away nicely.

I still have to build a canopy to hide some of the pvc piping have above the tank, will also be hiding some of the pvc piping within the background as well. Don't have pics of that yet cause i haven't even started working on it yet hahaha

maybe in a week or two i'll have something ready, but i definitely enjoy seeing your work in progress, pretty cool!
Old 01-02-2011
gonefishingaquatics

Looks good!

Troph mpimbwe, namansi reef, duboisi maswa, malasa island

cyprichromis leptosoma kitumba, Cyatopharynx foai Mbita, callochromis melanostigma, benthochromis tricoti, cyphotilapia gibberosa moba, Placidochromis Phenochilus Tanzania, gnathochromis perximillaris

Tanks: 360, 150, 135, 125, 125, 90(reef), 55, 55, 20, 20
Old 01-02-2011
Mastiffman

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(smidey @ Jan 2 2011, 03:32 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
Quote:
nice progress, well done.[/b]
Thanks, it's actually my first large Stand build. Largest tank that i've hd prior tothis one was a 150gal. So this wil be very fun. It is so far!

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Nicadmous @ Jan 2 2011, 04:00 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
Quote:
I love what you have so far! I'm in the process of setting up my 135 tank myself. I didn't build my own stand, i just added support to it because the back looked ridiculously weak.

I like the idea of having the powerhead circulating the heat throughout the tank, i'm not sure about placement though. I'm still new to aquarium builds so I'm not good at giving advice for this.

My setup is a bit different, no i won't be giving away my secrets...just kidding haha. I'm building my own background as soon as i get some funds for the styrofoam...don't even know where to get it yet since my local home depot doesnt have it...gotta look at another shop...anywhoo, as for my heater...i have it place outside of the tank connected to the canister filter so that is hidden away nicely.

I still have to build a canopy to hide some of the pvc piping have above the tank, will also be hiding some of the pvc piping within the background as well. Don't have pics of that yet cause i haven't even started working on it yet hahaha

maybe in a week or two i'll have something ready, but i definitely enjoy seeing your work in progress, pretty cool! [/b]
I figure as long as I have an access panel/ hole (in top of rock) than I should be fine to place the heaters within the larger rocks. Both will be at least 9"+ fromt he surface of the heater and water will be flowing around them so it should be fine. I wil just have to keep an eye on the temp to ensure proper heating is taking place. Should with the amount of water movement...

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(gonefishingaquatics @ Jan 2 2011, 08:10 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
Quote:
Looks good![/b]
Thank you sir!

I had a question to anyone interested...

I have some GE Silicon I Kitchen and bath. I read the back and it doesn't say anything about being mold or mildew resistent at al, of any kind. Is this stuff safe to use?