Home Forum Articles Sponsors Affiliates CP Map Chat FAQ TOS
Go Back   Trophs.com > Tropheus Forums > Tropheus Photo Gallery Discussion

Notices

Tropheus Photo Gallery Discussion Share and discuss pictures of your Tropheus and aquariums.

Old 05-17-2015
Mastiffman

::Profile::
Default WC Tropheus Murago "Tanzania" [Vid/Pics]

Hey Gang,

First and foremost, I'm not starting this thread for the reason of debate. This is purely a progressive thread. All debating posts will be disregarding and considered nonconductive to this thread. If replies to the post and others in this thread are aggressive, unwarranted or flat out accusatory, they will go against the Trophs.com
TOS (Terms of Service) and will subjected to deletion...

Moving forward, I have had this small colony of Wild Caught Tanzanian Murago for about 2.5 months now after them being estimated being imported sometime in September to October of 2014.

Currently there are 2 females holding. The group is in a 4ft x 2ft 110g tank filtered by a Red Sea Ocean Clear Filter with a Sicce 3.0 external pump. I also have a Bag of AC70 Bio-rings, 2.5cups of SeaChem Pond Matrix with about 1/2cup of SeaChem Purigen in the middle of a 30sq ft. 25micron filter cartridge...

I want to quickly address the issue with disapproval of importing, owning, breeding, selling fry, buying and raising fry of this variant. I don't condone the regular collection of this variant. What I do approve of is taking an existing group and properly breeding them to create numerous colonies across the country for longevity and conservation of this variant. Disapproval of any further of any further importing of them makes sense. But to completely shun the growth of the population in any given country of a rare and already imported "endangered" variant is exactly the opposite of "Conservation".

I intend on providing as many fry as possible to those that are willing to contribute to conservation of this variant in captivity at a reasonable price. Not based off of what I paid for the colony but what make sense to distribution of the variant to responsible, ethical and experienced Tropheus breeders...

I know that these Tropheus are rare and currently classified as endangered. But being that they are already here in the states, that doesn't mean that they shouldn't be bred and distributed... It means that their status should be treated with respect and the utmost care.

I'm always open for discussion of the group and encourage the discussion of conservation efforts henceforth.

I understand that these fish will not be desirable to everyone and that is perfectly fine by me. I happen to think that they are wonderful looking Tropheus with their own very unique beauty.

They are all doing well. Here is a video Current Video recorded May 17th, 2015. Photos with some close up photos to show their markings coming shortly... As was stated by their previous owner, photos and video do not do them justice.

Video is 1080p HD so remember to select 1080p to get the best resolution and detail.
Enjoy.

Last edited by Mastiffman; 05-19-2015 at 11:51 AM.
Old 05-18-2015
dannyt

Keeping: 72 gal bowfront 22 F1 Mpulungu are in da house!!

"I know that these Tropheus are rare and currently classified as endangered. But being that they are already here in the states, that doesn't mean that they shouldn't be bred and distributed... It means that their status should be treated with respect and the utmost care." Mastiffman

They couldn't be in better hands mate. The knowledge you share and the excellent care you obviously take of the fish you have been entrusted with make you a very suitable candidate to ensure the Tanzanian Muragos have a hope & a future, at least in the hobby. And that is critical!

Gotta love those freckly faces
The Following User Says Thank You to dannyt For This Useful Post:
Mastiffman (05-18-2015)
Old 05-18-2015
Mastiffman

Thanks for kind words Danny... Yeah they are very nice looking!

EDIT:
Okay, so not the best pics. Flash off from a Cell phone.

Holding Female...

Spots...

Dom Male Spots...

Group...

Last edited by Mastiffman; 05-18-2015 at 12:19 PM.
Old 05-18-2015
eeztropheus

Keeping: F1 ilangi, F1 bulu point, tank raised duboisi maswa

Quote:
Originally Posted by dannyt View Post
They couldn't be in better hands mate.
Couldn't agree more!
The Following User Says Thank You to eeztropheus For This Useful Post:
Mastiffman (05-18-2015)
Old 05-18-2015
dannyt

great pics Drew...the freckles are SO cool...I am bit biased though as my wife, both my boys and myself all have freckles...they're not light blue though...lol
The Following User Says Thank You to dannyt For This Useful Post:
Mastiffman (05-18-2015)
Old 05-18-2015
Mastiffman

LOL. Funny Danny. Funny!

EDIT:

A Natural Light HD 1080p Video.... You can really see some of the copper coloration at the right angle...

Click on and change the resolution for better detail.

Last edited by Mastiffman; 05-18-2015 at 06:33 PM.
Old 05-18-2015
dirt4949

Keeping: Chilambo,bemba,kaiserII,Green Murago,Brown Murago

They are looking good Andrew. I hope my colony starts going too they are starting to dance but nothing yet.
Old 05-18-2015
Mastiffman

Quote:
Originally Posted by dirt4949 View Post
They are looking good Andrew. I hope my colony starts going too they are starting to dance but nothing yet.
Thanks Dennis! Yeah, half of these guys are pretty big! I'd say a few to 4-5yr old but are super healthy! Mike did a great Job of caring for them when he had them. All I did was put them in Nitro Green for a week, transition them to their new food and then started ramping up feedings from there. but I've been feeding them all that they would take for a good 5-6 weeks.

I will admit that they were pretty skittish at first and still when the lights come on but I had to play around with the rocks scape to make them a bit more comfortable. This is one thing that I found with my Chaitika when I had them... They displayed a lot better with more rocks spread across the tank. my theory is that it made them feel more safe. Like they were protected by the rocks if need be. Of course it was more of placebo effect but it worked. Same with these guys. I've been trying to spend a good amount of time with them as well. Now the kids are allowed to come up to their room more often and I even had a visitor over to come and take a gander at them and they were pretty calm for it being a stranger. Good to see they and the visitor was impressed by them too. So that's good news on both ends. I'm hoping that people will like them so that they don't just fade away.

I've come to the conclusion that their color seems to be mostly a Red Wine kind of shade. And then of course there are those highlights of copper in the dorsal and anal fins. The head fade from a light green to a turquoise and then to blue on the underside of the mouth and the larger males seem to have this faint silver area to the center area of the lower part of their flank. Very Cool looking either way.

How are yours turning out so far and did you ever get that second batch in you were talking about?
Old 05-18-2015
dannyt

Very nice mate. Love that coppery tone, especially in the dorsal. I thought I detected some flashes of a jadey type green here and there too...is that right or perhaps my eyes playing tricks on me?
Old 05-18-2015
Mastiffman

Quote:
Originally Posted by dannyt View Post
Very nice mate. Love that coppery tone, especially in the dorsal. I thought I detected some flashes of a jadey type green here and there too...is that right or perhaps my eyes playing tricks on me?
Yes, you are correct. There seems to be quite a bit right on the forehead of some of them, down to around the upper lip where it transitions to the turquoise.

Good eye my friend!