Home Forum Articles Sponsors Affiliates CP Map Chat FAQ TOS
Go Back   Trophs.com > Tropheus Forums > Tropheus Photo Gallery Discussion

Notices

Tropheus Photo Gallery Discussion Share and discuss pictures of your Tropheus and aquariums.

Old 05-19-2010
delafe1

::Profile::
Send a message via AIM to delafe1

Here are some Duboisi that have been in this community tank for about 8 months. The Duboisi seem to be much heartier and do o.k. with other species, and they seem to be ignored by the other fish. Why is this? I hope I don't offend some of the hardcore Troph keepers with this next question but; how much could I get away with by mixing T's with other species? If breeding was not a priority, could I establish a colony in my tank and then slowly add some labs, Mbunas, or even some Aulonocaras? Is it possible to keep several different types of tropheus together in a large show tank with plenty of structure?

Old 05-19-2010
jagwired524

yes you can have a show tank with different varieties of tropheus as im sure some do. *other than the normal inbreeding issues as far as looks go it seems as if most will have less color than you would see in a single colony.

as far as what trophs can coexist with i think it is more what can coexist with them. *there a little more agressive than most in my experience. *i have mixed dubs with alot of different malawi cichlids and have found that the tropheus are not at any risk. *the downfall i have found is that if one of the malawi trys to mess with the troph it becomes war and the troph has always won in my tanks. *also if you have any fry than i would not recomend it because for some reason any dubs that i have had in mixed tanks will take out all fry this being the reason i have removed them from all of my current mixed tanks.

hope that helps

j

Old 05-20-2010
JkdJedi

Blasphemy! :wacko:
Old 05-20-2010
Heather

Thats a neat looking mix, everyone looks perfectly happy
Thanks for sharing
Old 05-21-2010
delafe1

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(jagwired524 @ May 19 2010, 07:27 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
Quote:
yes you can have a show tank with different varieties of tropheus as im sure some do. *other than the normal inbreeding issues as far as looks go it seems as if most will have less color than you would see in a single colony.

as far as what trophs can coexist with i think it is more what can coexist with them. *there a little more agressive than most in my experience. *i have mixed dubs with alot of different malawi cichlids and have found that the tropheus are not at any risk. *the downfall i have found is that if one of the malawi trys to mess with the troph it becomes war and the troph has always won in my tanks. *also if you have any fry than i would not recomend it because for some reason any dubs that i have had in mixed tanks will take out all fry this being the reason i have removed them from all of my current mixed tanks.

hope that helps

j[/b]
Very helpful, thank you J! l love this site because you guys definitely know your ****. Having it as a resource makes keeping the terror T's so much more enjoyable. I am going to start Troph mixed tank soon. Now the hard part, picking the combos.
Old 05-21-2010
delafe1

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(JkdJedi @ May 20 2010, 01:02 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
Quote:
Blasphemy! :wacko:[/b]

I know LOl!