Home Forum Articles Sponsors Affiliates CP Map Chat FAQ TOS
Go Back   Trophs.com > Tropheus Forums > Tropheus Talk

Notices

Tropheus Talk Discussion of Tropheus in general.

Old 10-11-2009
Chris Derrick

::Profile::

Hey everyone I am back been busy at work but all the fish are doing fine. I have few questions please bear with me lol. I had purchased a group of chilanga from Greg little africa back year ago and put them in a species only 125 gallon tank and they produced over 100 fry in about 3 - 4 months they left the fry alone and spit in the tank when ready. There were 4 males to 13 females so sure this helped. Well I kept about 10 of the fry and sold the rest then got the bug for some ikola. I purchased a group of 15 from greg but ratio wasn't near as good with it being 1male to 1 female. I put my chilanga in a new 75 gallon tank at this time febuary and put new Ikola in 125 gallon tank. Well after 3 months I got one baby fry from the Ikola and only 4 fry from the chilanga. I didn't really care to manage two tanks all the time so against most I put both in the 125gallon which puts the total of fish with fry upwards of 45 or so. They have been together for about 4-5 months now with no inbreeding that I have noticed, and no fighting between the species just normal fighting between themselfs. All fish are healthy, I have Fx5 canister, 2 emperoor 400 hang on's, and a large wet dry with mag 10 pump. I also have three korilla #4 in the tank and do a 90% water change once a week. I watch the fish breeding especially after water changes and I even have a female ikola holding for two weeks now! I guess my question is will they ever start spitting fry again or is this normal with two species in same tank? I love both groups and don't care to split and am not going to set up another tank. I have tried different piles of rocks, one pile two three one at each end etc if you guys could tell me what ya think. Thanks Chris
Old 10-11-2009
dww-law

Chris
Numerous people have multiple colonies in a tank. If you like it then it is okay. However, when you sell off the fry you should disclose they COULD be cross-breeds. I say this because you have no way of knowing if they are cross breeds until they get older and achieve full coloration. Although you have not seen them cross-breed, it is impossible to watch them 24 hours a day.
Old 10-11-2009
Chris Derrick

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(dww-law @ Oct 11 2009, 12:15 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
Quote:
Chris
Numerous people have multiple colonies in a tank. If you like it then it is okay. However, when you sell off the fry you should disclose they COULD be cross-breeds. I say this because you have no way of knowing if they are cross breeds until they get older and achieve full coloration. Although you have not seen them cross-breed, it is impossible to watch them 24 hours a day.[/b]
O yes I understand this. I wouldn't sell the fry without telling. I am just curious if they will begain having fry again or if it is all stopped because of the two colonies. Thanks CD
Old 10-11-2009
dww-law

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Chris Derrick @ Oct 11 2009, 01:17 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
Quote:
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(dww-law @ Oct 11 2009, 12:15 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Quote:
Chris
Numerous people have multiple colonies in a tank. If you like it then it is okay. However, when you sell off the fry you should disclose they COULD be cross-breeds. I say this because you have no way of knowing if they are cross breeds until they get older and achieve full coloration. Although you have not seen them cross-breed, it is impossible to watch them 24 hours a day.[/b]
O yes I understand this. I wouldn't sell the fry without telling. I am just curious if they will begain having fry again or if it is all stopped because of the two colonies. Thanks CD
[/b][/quote]

Usually one colony becomes dominant and they will produce fry. However, if lots of fry is the goal then only one variant should be in the tank.
Old 10-11-2009
tom_patriot

I have W/C Ikola in the same 90 gallon tank as W/C Red Rainbow. The Ikola are dominant and were the original tenants. I have never witnessed any attempts at cross breeding. The issue isn't cross breeding in my opinion, its that one colony is dominant over the other and only one colony breeds. In my case, the red rainbows have not bred. The male RR shakes and tries with his females, but when they "get to it" the Ikola comes over and breaks it up. The Ikola male has never shaken in front of or shown any interest in the RR females. I believe if they have enough of their own females, then there is no interest in cross breeding.

The Ikola females spit in the tank. Of course, when spitting in the tank you always get only a few fry from each release that survives (which is OK with me).
Old 10-12-2009
geost

So the stop in breeding is normal with any large environment change. The most dominant colony will breed more often. Not to say that the second colony will not breed but the frequency will be less, for both groups it will not be the same as when they are alone in the tank. Over time, when they all acclimate, the dominant group will have better colors, breeding frequency and amount of fry eventually gets back to as before (but may take awhile).

If they are breeding already then you are going to be just fine. Good luck.
Old 10-12-2009
marksp

Guys

If cross breeding were such an issue, there would be one troph variant in Lake T. Differentiation has been increasing not decreasing. Admittedly aquaria put a different stress on the situation. You can get hybrids but IMPO (so no abusive PMs please), this is down to particular weak minded fish that you can spot easily. I had a mOliro female that danced for a Syno Petricola

When I lived in Fl I had the space to run as many tanks as I wanted as I had an insulated outhouse about the size of a standard home in Europe . 1 species per tank was very easy. Now I am in UK and running lots of big tanks is a lot more difficult simply because of the space.

I agree with Geost, the dominant Groups breed more frequently but in my experience the under group will breed as well. Ikola seem to win in Moori tanks but Dubs seem to breed regardless of tank mates

Cheers

Old 10-12-2009
Chris Derrick

I have 6ft 125 gallon tank in your opinions what is the best rock set up for two groups like i have? One large group of rocks, one pile on each end, rocks all over, no rocks just sand? Thanks. CD
Old 10-12-2009
marksp

Hi Chris

I have rocks at each end about 8" high pile of river cobbles. I have 3/4" "spitting" pebble piles around these. I also have trios of river cobbles dotted around some with a fourth cobble to give a roof of sorts. If you make the end cobbles in to a U shape, someone will sit on each leg.
I also have some pebble circles like around a camp fire with the centre hollowed out. Fish that are getting chased or fry will sit in the pit.
In one tank I have pebbles at one end and a pile of mopani roots at the other. Moliro love the wood and will stay on that avoiding pebbles. I dont have a rock background

Red Rainbows and Ikola prefer stones and Dubs don't care. Those are the only four I have tried in different environments to see what they seem to prefer