Home Forum Articles Sponsors Affiliates CP Map Chat FAQ TOS
Go Back   Trophs.com > Tropheus Forums > Tropheus Aquascaping

Notices

Tropheus Aquascaping Discussion of suitable rocks, substrates, tank decor, layout, etc.

Old 12-31-2009
beava09

::Profile::

I am really new here and this is my first time posting so bare with me please lol..
This is my 90 gallon that will be hosting 12 Linangu and 10 Muzi. I have PFS, 2 maxijet 1200, 2 eheim canisters, and some pretty cool rock if I may say so. and suggestions would be great.

">
Old 12-31-2009
tom_patriot

Setup looks nice.

My only comment is that the Linangu and Muzi are in the same lineage so there is a risk of cross breeding.
Old 01-01-2010
dwillingm

nice setup!

i have a question about the rockwork. most tropheus tanks are set up with very little rock work like yours, to help minimize territorial disputes. it seems like such a small amount of rock isnt really enough to provide cover for any fish, so what is the purpose? just for decoration?

Old 03-19-2011
akky1987

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(dwillingm @ Jan 1 2010, 01:24 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
Quote:
nice setup!

i have a question about the rockwork. most tropheus tanks are set up with very little rock work like yours, to help minimize territorial disputes. it seems like such a small amount of rock isnt really enough to provide cover for any fish, so what is the purpose? just for decoration?[/b]

Thats a very good ?'s. Anyone who knows about keeping tangs and malawi's knows that 90% of the stuff written on the internet is pure rubbish, OOH FULL YOUR TANK WITH AS MUCH ROCK AS YOU CAN THAT WAY YOU FISH HAVE MORE HIDEY HOLES...WRONG. It just creates more agression in the tank because the alpha's just try to defend it more, but yep a little bit of rock looks nice and DOES have a small amount of cover for other fish too.

Is the answer IMO.
Old 03-20-2011
ad2crl

Send a message via Yahoo to ad2crl

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(akky1987 @ Mar 19 2011, 12:58 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
Quote:
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(dwillingm @ Jan 1 2010, 01:24 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Quote:
nice setup!

i have a question about the rockwork. most tropheus tanks are set up with very little rock work like yours, to help minimize territorial disputes. it seems like such a small amount of rock isnt really enough to provide cover for any fish, so what is the purpose? just for decoration?[/b]

Thats a very good ?'s. Anyone who knows about keeping tangs and malawi's knows that 90% of the stuff written on the internet is pure rubbish, OOH FULL YOUR TANK WITH AS MUCH ROCK AS YOU CAN THAT WAY YOU FISH HAVE MORE HIDEY HOLES...WRONG. It just creates more agression in the tank because the alpha's just try to defend it more, but yep a little bit of rock looks nice and DOES have a small amount of cover for other fish too.

Is the answer IMO.
[/b][/quote]

Huh? :huh:
Old 03-20-2011
Mastiffman

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(ad2crl @ Mar 20 2011, 04:08 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
Quote:
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(akky1987 @ Mar 19 2011, 12:58 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Quote:
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(dwillingm @ Jan 1 2010, 01:24 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Quote:
nice setup!

Is the answer IMO.
[/b][/quote]

Huh? :huh:

[/b][/quote]

MY Sentimens Exactly!!!!!
Old 03-20-2011
Mr. Johnson

Send a message via AIM to Mr. Johnson

Man, rock scape looks...ok. But the rocks look cheesy.

Those are like the ones on people's yards around their tree.

My suggestion would be for you to go to a rock yard and fine some nicer rocks.
Old 03-21-2011
ad2crl

Send a message via Yahoo to ad2crl

I was going to ask akky1987 if he/she ever seen these fish's natural habitat? I would assume no.
Old 04-01-2011
mferko

he's right, adding rocks gives the males territories to fight over, if you can keep them all separated by 50cm or so of sand ive heard that they will just claim one pile and not all of them tho, so a whole continuous pile of rocks is actually worse than a bunch of small separated rock piles IMO

this is copied over from another thread on a diff forum "The secret to keeping tropheus successfully is as follows.

1. The larger the tank the better.

When conversing with Mark Young (at that time a collector & exporter living on the shores of Lake Tanganyika) he told me that in his experience dom males would stop chasing at the 6-8ft mark, so he built all of his concrete vats 12 ft. End of aggression problems.

2. The more fish that you can accommodate in your tank the better, it helps spread aggression so that no one fish is ever singled out and chased or harassed relentlessly.

Mark kept hundreds of tropheus together in his 12 ft vats, but they also held several hundred gallons of water. In a 75 gallon, I would go with a min of 15 adults, 20 is doable and probably better, so if buying juvies get 25-30, which will allow you to remove extra males as the fish mature.

3. Massive water changes on a regular basis, and high levels of 02 at all times.

These fish are found in the surf zone, where there is lots of current & high 02 levels. If you don't like water changes, pass on tropheus, as the more fresh water that you can throw at them the better. Even in Mark's massive tanks he had a constant 24/7 flow of water being exported out of the bottom, and a constant 24/7 flow of fresh water coming in.

4. The less territory there is for dom males to fight over, the better.

While not many people like bare tanks with no rock work, with tropheus less = more. Mark's large vats were typically void of any type of structure that a dom male might claim as being his. Sometimes he would add a few boulders when adding a new group of wild fish just to help calm them, once the fish settled in then out the rocks came. Other than a sand substrate, Don G's tropheus tanks were always bare as well.

5. Keep the diet simple, feed small amounts 2-3 times a day, vs one big meal a day.

here's a pic of one of Mark's tanks

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(ad2crl @ Mar 20 2011, 11:20 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
Quote:
I was going to ask akky1987 if he/she ever seen these fish's natural habitat? I would assume no.[/b]