Home Forum Articles Sponsors Affiliates CP Map Chat FAQ TOS
Go Back   Trophs.com > Tropheus Forums > Tropheus Tanks & Equipment

Notices

Tropheus Tanks & Equipment Discussion of tanks, filters, heaters, lighting, UV and other equipment.

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1  
Old 04-15-2014
CiscoKid
Status: Offline
Senior Member
 
::Profile::
Join Date: Oct 2013
Location: Philadelphia suburbs
Keeping: Maswa, considering other colonies
Posts: 161
Thanks: 39
Thanked 26 Times in 23 Posts
Images: 2
Default Lighting upgrade time?

Hi All. Been a while since I posted - time goes quickly!

We just got back from a vacation, and the Trophs appear to have held up well while we were away. The bulb on our Coralife 6700k 65w didn't hold up as well, though, and with the replacement at ~ $35, I'm wondering if it might just be a good time to swap the fixture with a new LED one.

The specifics:
98 Corner Duboisi Maswa tank
The current 30'' Coralife fixture was something that I somewhat "rigged" over the tank. It mostly rests directly over the water but under a canopy, but that wasn't an issue with the old one because the Coralife was enclosed. I was thinking that the fixture could have been a bit brighter when it was working (parts of the tanks were somewhat dim...), but that might have been because the bulb was getting older.

I've looked at some of the Finnex and Current LED fixtures in the past and I was interested if anyone would recommend either of these (or something else) given my current setup. While I anticipate keeping the Maswa colony for quite a while, I'm thinking that they will eventually get some tankmates so I wouldn't want to tailor the lights exclusively to them.

Some of the fixtures (Finnex Ray2, for example) also look like they would cut down on power usage (20 watts vs 65 watts)?

Thoughts appreciated!
Reply With Quote
  #2  
Old 04-15-2014
JimA's Avatar
JimA
Status: Offline
Senior Member
 
::Profile::
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: Bellingham,Washington
Keeping: Red Rainbows inda house
Posts: 1,194
Thanks: 326
Thanked 161 Times in 138 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by CiscoKid View Post
Hi All. Been a while since I posted - time goes quickly!

We just got back from a vacation, and the Trophs appear to have held up well while we were away. The bulb on our Coralife 6700k 65w didn't hold up as well, though, and with the replacement at ~ $35, I'm wondering if it might just be a good time to swap the fixture with a new LED one.

The specifics:
98 Corner Duboisi Maswa tank
The current 30'' Coralife fixture was something that I somewhat "rigged" over the tank. It mostly rests directly over the water but under a canopy, but that wasn't an issue with the old one because the Coralife was enclosed. I was thinking that the fixture could have been a bit brighter when it was working (parts of the tanks were somewhat dim...), but that might have been because the bulb was getting older.

I've looked at some of the Finnex and Current LED fixtures in the past and I was interested if anyone would recommend either of these (or something else) given my current setup. While I anticipate keeping the Maswa colony for quite a while, I'm thinking that they will eventually get some tankmates so I wouldn't want to tailor the lights exclusively to them.

Some of the fixtures (Finnex Ray2, for example) also look like they would cut down on power usage (20 watts vs 65 watts)?

Thoughts appreciated!
I have been using the Beamworks brand with out any problems, decent light for the price. If your tank is 24 deep go with the reef-bright vs single.

I tried the Satellite current brand and was not happy with it but I think some here are using them and like them. I might go finnex at some point but have not seen one in person.
Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to JimA For This Useful Post:
CiscoKid (04-15-2014)
  #3  
Old 04-15-2014
dirt4949's Avatar
dirt4949
Status: Offline
Senior Member
 
::Profile::
Join Date: May 2009
Location: lombard illinois
Keeping: Chilambo,bemba,kaiserII,Green Murago,Brown Murago
Age: 48
Posts: 389
Thanks: 18
Thanked 20 Times in 19 Posts
Default

We sell the finnex at the store and are quit popular for there cheap price. I personally use the aqueon modulars on all of my tanks at home and i am very pleased with them.
Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to dirt4949 For This Useful Post:
CiscoKid (04-15-2014)
  #4  
Old 04-15-2014
CiscoKid
Status: Offline
Senior Member
 
::Profile::
Join Date: Oct 2013
Location: Philadelphia suburbs
Keeping: Maswa, considering other colonies
Posts: 161
Thanks: 39
Thanked 26 Times in 23 Posts
Images: 2
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimA View Post
I have been using the Beamworks brand with out any problems, decent light for the price. If your tank is 24 deep go with the reef-bright vs single.

I tried the Satellite current brand and was not happy with it but I think some here are using them and like them. I might go finnex at some point but have not seen one in person.
I had not previously heard of Beamworks. I've looked at a few of them and I'm not sure I could get one of them to work over my tank. Because it's a corner, the light rests on the top on a diagonal, and the 30" Beamswork appears to be over 9" wide - that works great for a normal tank but would probably create issues the way I need to mount it. I have more than one tank, though, so I will keep them in mind.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dirt4949 View Post
We sell the finnex at the store and are quit popular for there cheap price. I personally use the aqueon modulars on all of my tanks at home and i am very pleased with them.
I looked at the Aqueon as well. I don't think the one I looked at had the "splash plates", which I need for sure. I could probably rig something, but I've heard that the LEDs are very susceptible to water damage and I'd worry I might not get it right the first time I tried to seal it off (or that I'd create a heat problem).

I've seem a few of the Finnex Ray2's mounted right over the water like I'd have it, so I don't think I'd have a worry there. I'm almost wondering if the Ray2 would be too much light after reading some of the reviews, tho. I've read a few folks wound up with algae issues, and while I'm pretty sure my Nitrates are pretty low, without plants I'm wondering if I'd regret it (I have a few ideas to prevent algae issues as well, but I'm not sure if I'll be implementing them in the near future). I'm probably overthinking it - I thought the tank was too dim before, so the Ray2 should take care of that perception. I also like the Monster Ray, but it doesn't seem like they are great "solo" lights?
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old 04-15-2014
dirt4949's Avatar
dirt4949
Status: Offline
Senior Member
 
::Profile::
Join Date: May 2009
Location: lombard illinois
Keeping: Chilambo,bemba,kaiserII,Green Murago,Brown Murago
Age: 48
Posts: 389
Thanks: 18
Thanked 20 Times in 19 Posts
Default

They do not come with splash plates. I do not have any worries as i have glass tops because i do not want to risk jumping.
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old 04-15-2014
Jeffish
Status: Offline
Senior Member
 
::Profile::
Join Date: Dec 2012
Location: St Thomas On Canada
Keeping: Sp Red Moliro, F1 Illangi
Posts: 167
Thanks: 3
Thanked 26 Times in 24 Posts
Default

Like Jim I have Beamsworks on my tanks. I'm pretty happy with them but I'm always looking to upgrade. I started out with Marineland double brights and they were not good for my tanks since the tanks are 29" deep and the light didn't penetrate or spread enough. I like the Finnex and have been reading a bit about them....Not sure if the Ray2 or Monster rays are the way to go......and since I have 2 150's set up end to end I'll have to buy 4 36" fixtures........I really need to win the lotto...
Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old 04-16-2014
CiscoKid
Status: Offline
Senior Member
 
::Profile::
Join Date: Oct 2013
Location: Philadelphia suburbs
Keeping: Maswa, considering other colonies
Posts: 161
Thanks: 39
Thanked 26 Times in 23 Posts
Images: 2
Default

Well, after doing a *lot* more reading, I wound up going with a Finnex Fugeray Planted Plus. It *seemed* to be the best solution for me given my current criteria.

I should get it tomorrow - I'll look to post again with my initial impressions when it comes in.
Reply With Quote
  #8  
Old 04-16-2014
dirt4949's Avatar
dirt4949
Status: Offline
Senior Member
 
::Profile::
Join Date: May 2009
Location: lombard illinois
Keeping: Chilambo,bemba,kaiserII,Green Murago,Brown Murago
Age: 48
Posts: 389
Thanks: 18
Thanked 20 Times in 19 Posts
Default

How much did it cost .
Reply With Quote
  #9  
Old 04-16-2014
JimA's Avatar
JimA
Status: Offline
Senior Member
 
::Profile::
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: Bellingham,Washington
Keeping: Red Rainbows inda house
Posts: 1,194
Thanks: 326
Thanked 161 Times in 138 Posts
Default

Would love to see some on the tank pics with it..
Reply With Quote
  #10  
Old 04-16-2014
CiscoKid
Status: Offline
Senior Member
 
::Profile::
Join Date: Oct 2013
Location: Philadelphia suburbs
Keeping: Maswa, considering other colonies
Posts: 161
Thanks: 39
Thanked 26 Times in 23 Posts
Images: 2
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by dirt4949 View Post
How much did it cost .
$88.22 b4 tax for the 30" (Amazon). With the previous light completely dead, it's a bit easier to justify than just a pure upgrade. That said the light *should* be brighter than the old one and offer better light quality while using only 1/3 of the energy of the previous Coralife (21w for the Fugeray vs 65w for the old one). I'm starting to think I may try some live plants down the road in the Troph tank with the new light - have to do a bit more research 1st, though...

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimA View Post
Would love to see some on the tank pics with it..
Can do. It's time for an updated colony pic anyway
Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks

Tags
lighting, time, upgrade

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
LED Lighting Jeffish Tropheus Tanks & Equipment 28 09-21-2013 10:33 AM
Trophs.com Pending Software Upgrade... Heather Announcements 10 06-03-2011 09:58 PM
Tank upgrade - Switching advice needed raemaruk Tropheus Aquascaping 14 04-14-2011 09:02 PM
Carbon bottle upgrade time! Mr. Johnson Tropheus Tanks & Equipment 4 06-04-2010 02:49 AM
Upgrade buba Tropheus Tanks & Equipment 6 01-24-2010 10:27 AM


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 07:36 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2018, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.