Home Forum Articles Sponsors Affiliates CP Map Chat FAQ TOS
Go Back   Trophs.com > Tropheus Forums > Tropheus Tanks & Equipment

Notices

Tropheus Tanks & Equipment Discussion of tanks, filters, heaters, lighting, UV and other equipment.

Old 04-15-2014
CiscoKid

::Profile::
Keeping: Maswa, considering other colonies
Default Lighting upgrade time?

Hi All. Been a while since I posted - time goes quickly!

We just got back from a vacation, and the Trophs appear to have held up well while we were away. The bulb on our Coralife 6700k 65w didn't hold up as well, though, and with the replacement at ~ $35, I'm wondering if it might just be a good time to swap the fixture with a new LED one.

The specifics:
98 Corner Duboisi Maswa tank
The current 30'' Coralife fixture was something that I somewhat "rigged" over the tank. It mostly rests directly over the water but under a canopy, but that wasn't an issue with the old one because the Coralife was enclosed. I was thinking that the fixture could have been a bit brighter when it was working (parts of the tanks were somewhat dim...), but that might have been because the bulb was getting older.

I've looked at some of the Finnex and Current LED fixtures in the past and I was interested if anyone would recommend either of these (or something else) given my current setup. While I anticipate keeping the Maswa colony for quite a while, I'm thinking that they will eventually get some tankmates so I wouldn't want to tailor the lights exclusively to them.

Some of the fixtures (Finnex Ray2, for example) also look like they would cut down on power usage (20 watts vs 65 watts)?

Thoughts appreciated!
Old 04-15-2014
JimA

Keeping: Red Rainbows inda house

Quote:
Originally Posted by CiscoKid View Post
Hi All. Been a while since I posted - time goes quickly!

We just got back from a vacation, and the Trophs appear to have held up well while we were away. The bulb on our Coralife 6700k 65w didn't hold up as well, though, and with the replacement at ~ $35, I'm wondering if it might just be a good time to swap the fixture with a new LED one.

The specifics:
98 Corner Duboisi Maswa tank
The current 30'' Coralife fixture was something that I somewhat "rigged" over the tank. It mostly rests directly over the water but under a canopy, but that wasn't an issue with the old one because the Coralife was enclosed. I was thinking that the fixture could have been a bit brighter when it was working (parts of the tanks were somewhat dim...), but that might have been because the bulb was getting older.

I've looked at some of the Finnex and Current LED fixtures in the past and I was interested if anyone would recommend either of these (or something else) given my current setup. While I anticipate keeping the Maswa colony for quite a while, I'm thinking that they will eventually get some tankmates so I wouldn't want to tailor the lights exclusively to them.

Some of the fixtures (Finnex Ray2, for example) also look like they would cut down on power usage (20 watts vs 65 watts)?

Thoughts appreciated!
I have been using the Beamworks brand with out any problems, decent light for the price. If your tank is 24 deep go with the reef-bright vs single.

I tried the Satellite current brand and was not happy with it but I think some here are using them and like them. I might go finnex at some point but have not seen one in person.
The Following User Says Thank You to JimA For This Useful Post:
CiscoKid (04-15-2014)
Old 04-15-2014
dirt4949

Keeping: Chilambo,bemba,kaiserII,Green Murago,Brown Murago

We sell the finnex at the store and are quit popular for there cheap price. I personally use the aqueon modulars on all of my tanks at home and i am very pleased with them.
The Following User Says Thank You to dirt4949 For This Useful Post:
CiscoKid (04-15-2014)
Old 04-15-2014
CiscoKid

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimA View Post
I have been using the Beamworks brand with out any problems, decent light for the price. If your tank is 24 deep go with the reef-bright vs single.

I tried the Satellite current brand and was not happy with it but I think some here are using them and like them. I might go finnex at some point but have not seen one in person.
I had not previously heard of Beamworks. I've looked at a few of them and I'm not sure I could get one of them to work over my tank. Because it's a corner, the light rests on the top on a diagonal, and the 30" Beamswork appears to be over 9" wide - that works great for a normal tank but would probably create issues the way I need to mount it. I have more than one tank, though, so I will keep them in mind.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dirt4949 View Post
We sell the finnex at the store and are quit popular for there cheap price. I personally use the aqueon modulars on all of my tanks at home and i am very pleased with them.
I looked at the Aqueon as well. I don't think the one I looked at had the "splash plates", which I need for sure. I could probably rig something, but I've heard that the LEDs are very susceptible to water damage and I'd worry I might not get it right the first time I tried to seal it off (or that I'd create a heat problem).

I've seem a few of the Finnex Ray2's mounted right over the water like I'd have it, so I don't think I'd have a worry there. I'm almost wondering if the Ray2 would be too much light after reading some of the reviews, tho. I've read a few folks wound up with algae issues, and while I'm pretty sure my Nitrates are pretty low, without plants I'm wondering if I'd regret it (I have a few ideas to prevent algae issues as well, but I'm not sure if I'll be implementing them in the near future). I'm probably overthinking it - I thought the tank was too dim before, so the Ray2 should take care of that perception. I also like the Monster Ray, but it doesn't seem like they are great "solo" lights?
Old 04-15-2014
dirt4949

They do not come with splash plates. I do not have any worries as i have glass tops because i do not want to risk jumping.
Old 04-15-2014
Jeffish

Keeping: Sp Red Moliro, F1 Illangi

Like Jim I have Beamsworks on my tanks. I'm pretty happy with them but I'm always looking to upgrade. I started out with Marineland double brights and they were not good for my tanks since the tanks are 29" deep and the light didn't penetrate or spread enough. I like the Finnex and have been reading a bit about them....Not sure if the Ray2 or Monster rays are the way to go......and since I have 2 150's set up end to end I'll have to buy 4 36" fixtures........I really need to win the lotto...
Old 04-16-2014
CiscoKid

Well, after doing a *lot* more reading, I wound up going with a Finnex Fugeray Planted Plus. It *seemed* to be the best solution for me given my current criteria.

I should get it tomorrow - I'll look to post again with my initial impressions when it comes in.
Old 04-16-2014
dirt4949

How much did it cost .
Old 04-16-2014
JimA

Keeping: Red Rainbows inda house

Would love to see some on the tank pics with it..
Old 04-16-2014
CiscoKid

Quote:
Originally Posted by dirt4949 View Post
How much did it cost .
$88.22 b4 tax for the 30" (Amazon). With the previous light completely dead, it's a bit easier to justify than just a pure upgrade. That said the light *should* be brighter than the old one and offer better light quality while using only 1/3 of the energy of the previous Coralife (21w for the Fugeray vs 65w for the old one). I'm starting to think I may try some live plants down the road in the Troph tank with the new light - have to do a bit more research 1st, though...

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimA View Post
Would love to see some on the tank pics with it..
Can do. It's time for an updated colony pic anyway