Home Forum Articles Sponsors Affiliates CP Map Chat FAQ TOS
Go Back   Trophs.com > Tropheus Forums > Tropheus Tanks & Equipment

Notices

Tropheus Tanks & Equipment Discussion of tanks, filters, heaters, lighting, UV and other equipment.

Old 12-12-2013
wharfrat

::Profile::
Keeping: Ikola
Default supplemental lighting for 50/50 LED

Hello I am new to Troph.com. I just received my first 20 juvenile fry of Tropheus sp. Ikola yesterday. I currently have a Finnex Ray 2 10k/460nm 50/50 (light that I was using on my Peacock/Hap tank). I was curious what kind of LED supplemental strip I could use to make the yellow bars pop more. Would I want a warm white low kelvin LED strip, an all red Led, or a 12k/Red stunner.

Another question. Is an airpump . I have 2 XPL Filstars (Rena XP3's) with the jet nozzles angled up, 45 degrees from side, and agitating the surface. I also have a Koralia 1050 angled slightly down and across from the left side which seems to be "okay" for the 90 gallon.

I'll post my husbandry questions in another forum. Thanks in advance.
Old 12-12-2013
Mastiffman

The Juvies yellow are onnly going to have so much yellow in them until they fully mature in color.

So changng the lighting won't increase it.

But once they get older a nice combo of 10,000k, 6700k and 50/50 will make them look nice!
The Following User Says Thank You to Mastiffman For This Useful Post:
wharfrat (12-17-2013)
Old 12-12-2013
wharfrat

Thanks yeah I was not going to go impulsively buy a light yet. Hehe...but when I do I wanted to know which type to get. BTW I love your mastiff. My neighbor had a Neapolitan Mastiff when I was a kid...I loved that dog
Old 12-12-2013
swk

Technically, warmer, lower kelvin ratings will accent the yellow. I would stick to 10k or below to make the yellow pop. Save the 50/50s for a different group. Congrats and welcome to trophs.com
The Following User Says Thank You to For This Useful Post:
wharfrat (12-17-2013)
Old 12-12-2013
JimA

Keeping: Red Rainbows inda house

Glad to see you made it over here! Lots of info to be had...
The Following User Says Thank You to JimA For This Useful Post:
wharfrat (12-17-2013)
Old 12-12-2013
wharfrat

Quote:
Originally Posted by swk View Post
Technically, warmer, lower kelvin ratings will accent the yellow. I would stick to 10k or below to make the yellow pop. Save the 50/50s for a different group. Congrats and welcome to trophs.com
Well technically I only have room for the one tank (I have a couple of herps too) in my apt and rehomed my Peacock/Haps to a safe place. The Finnex Ray 2 50/50 is all I have. Would supplementing another 6.7-9K LED help with the yellows? Should I cragslist the light and get the Finnex Ray DD 7K? (Since I am not growing plants I thought this would to be too yellow for my tastes but I have contempt prior to investigation). I know some people like the current satellite...some say it isn't bright enough for deeper tanks (mine is a 90). Would the current be the best all-around light (I am only interested in LED it seems)?
Old 12-12-2013
Mastiffman

Quote:
Originally Posted by wharfrat View Post
Thanks yeah I was not going to go impulsively buy a light yet. Hehe...but when I do I wanted to know which type to get. BTW I love your mastiff. My neighbor had a Neapolitan Mastiff when I was a kid...I loved that dog
Quote:
Originally Posted by wharfrat View Post
Well technically I only have room for the one tank (I have a couple of herps too) in my apt and rehomed my Peacock/Haps to a safe place. The Finnex Ray 2 50/50 is all I have. Would supplementing another 6.7-9K LED help with the yellows? Should I cragslist the light and get the Finnex Ray DD 7K? (Since I am not growing plants I thought this would to be too yellow for my tastes but I have contempt prior to investigation). I know some people like the current satellite...some say it isn't bright enough for deeper tanks (mine is a 90). Would the current be the best all-around light (I am only interested in LED it seems)?

The 50/50- you have now will be good for a nice clean look to the daylight with 10,000k and 6700k. But you could pick up an aqeon Modular LED fixture for a decent price and it comes with 6700k Modular Bulb. And you can Always add the Color Enhancing Bulb to it at a later time. Or another 6700k.

But a 6700k/10000k mix without any blue will give a Really yellow look to the tank in general which will tend to drown other colors out and almost give a green hue to the water from my experince. The 50/50 will clean it up making it more a full range setup.

Ive tried out so many different combinations of T5HO bulbs to find the right look for Rainbows and this is your best bet for most tropheus. Without adding a Roseate Bulb to bring out more reds.
The Following User Says Thank You to Mastiffman For This Useful Post:
wharfrat (12-17-2013)
Old 12-12-2013
wharfrat

Quote:
Originally Posted by swk View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by JimA View Post
Glad to see you made it over here! Lots of info to be had...
Thanks JimA
Old 12-13-2013
DireWolf

Keeping: Petro "Orange Fin Kigoma" Tropheus sp. Red Moliro

My name is August West, and I love my Pearly Baker best more than my wine.
Old 12-14-2013
wharfrat

Quote:
Originally Posted by DireWolf View Post
My name is August West, and I love my Pearly Baker best more than my wine.
more than my wine...more than my maker though he's no friend of mine