Home Forum Articles Sponsors Affiliates CP Map Chat FAQ TOS
Go Back   Trophs.com > Tropheus Forums > Tropheus Tanks & Equipment

Notices

Tropheus Tanks & Equipment Discussion of tanks, filters, heaters, lighting, UV and other equipment.

Old 12-01-2013
jimmy fish

::Profile::
Keeping: tropheus ikola, tropheus firecracker
Default tubes to led lighting

Hi all . I have a juwel Rio 400 aquarium ,the light unit packed in a while back so I got to fixing it. I found that the unit had a pint of water laying in it . They are supposed to be a fully sealed unit. I cut a piece of the bottom of the unit took out the old rusty burned out ballast and replace it with one of the same . Then sealed up the unit with pvc and aquarium silicone and new tubes. Now guess what 2 months later the damm things had it again . I am not gona go through that again . Question , do any of you fishkeepers use led lights that can be used in or on the Rio 400 . Thanks
Old 12-01-2013
Jeffish

Keeping: Sp Red Moliro, F1 Illangi

I use Beamsworks LEDS on my tanks but they sit on top of the glass tops not in a canopy like the Juwel tanks tubes. Sounds like a DIY project..... .... You'd have to gut the old hardware and I think you then could likely mount an LED fixture in your canopy , just make sure you provide lots of ventilation so they don't overheat. I find my beamsworks are very warm on the top of the fixture and no heat at all from the lights themselves.
Old 12-01-2013
CiscoKid

Keeping: Maswa, considering other colonies

I had a similar issue with a different tank (not a Rio) but I was able to come up with a replacement enclosed fixture and rig it in place under my canopy. What's the length of the existing lights and how do the existing lights mount currently?
Old 12-02-2013
jimmy fish

Keeping: tropheus ikola, tropheus firecracker

The length of the tank and light unit is 59inches and the tubes hang off the unit with brackets a 47inches .
Old 12-03-2013
CiscoKid

Keeping: Maswa, considering other colonies

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimmy fish View Post
The length of the tank and light unit is 59inches and the tubes hang off the unit with brackets a 47inches .
The good news is that those lengths should offer you quite a few options. 48 and 60 are both possible pre-built fixtures, but it seems like some of the 60's are just extended 48's - your current fixture that you are looking to replace sounds like it might be like that as well. Another option that might work is using two 30's - this might give you more light "end-to-end", but that might not be an issue and you would also have to be careful that they would both fit.

The bad news is it might be a bit of a DIY retrofit like Jeffish mentioned. If it's not a "drop-in" replacement to LEDs and you decide to reuse some or all of your existing fixure casing you do want to be cognizant of heat and proper venting - it's important to keep the LEDs cool.