Home Forum Articles Sponsors Affiliates CP Map Chat FAQ TOS
Go Back   Trophs.com > Tropheus Forums > Tropheus Tanks & Equipment

Notices

Tropheus Tanks & Equipment Discussion of tanks, filters, heaters, lighting, UV and other equipment.

Old 09-02-2014
Jeffish

::Profile::
Keeping: Sp Red Moliro, F1 Illangi

Thats an awesum background Matt! I like the larger rocks, maybe just a dd a couple smaller ones at the base of the larger ones to offset the visual.
What's the substrate you're using? I have white pf sand in my 150 and it gets covered in algae which drives me nuts. I'm thinking it may be time for a change.
Old 09-02-2014
MattB

Keeping: Ilangi

Thanks. I went with the more brown rocks as they seemed to match the background fairly well. However I am adding 6 more cool and neutral white LEDs so as dark and yellow as it may look in the picture the tank will be incredibly bright overall. I do like the Ikolas though, not sure what variety I'm going with just yet.

I'm using the Aragonite Seaflor Special Grade Reef sand I think its called. Thats almost 3 bags (120lbs) in the tank. Should pack down more when water gets in it. And I agree about sand, had it in my last tank loved the look starting out but it ALWAYS gets algae no matter what you do and it drives me nuts. Tried to avoid silica all together this way.
The Following User Says Thank You to MattB For This Useful Post:
Cichlid Lips (09-16-2014)
Old 09-04-2014
fishyj

Love the setup. Where did you get the background?
Old 09-04-2014
MattB

Thanks. I got it directly from Universal Rocks.
Old 09-04-2014
dannyt

Keeping: 72 gal bowfront 22 F1 Mpulungu are in da house!!

I find using a gravel vac at least turns over the top layer that the algae starts on between water changes and gives you a fresh white surface layer again...for a few days at least
Old 09-11-2014
MattB

Fixed my lighting issue today. Had 2 banks of LEDs not firing, dove into this mess and found some wrong wiring on my part. Fixed it and all 19 LEDs are firing now.

Cut the red one......no the blue......no the yellow!!

I'd take a picture but the image will look about the same as above. To the eye in person though its much brighter. Can't wait to get water and fish in here. Will be getting the last few filter parts tomorrow and/or monday and then I'll seed the tank.
Old 09-13-2014
Troyale

Keeping: WC Nkonde, F1 Red Ndole, WC/F1 Bulu Point

The tank looks great so far. Stop teasing us and get some fish in there. I agree with adding some smaller rocks around the base of the rock structures or even switch a few around until you get the look you want. I would also suggest to take about 20lbs of your substrate out. The deeper the substrate, the more of a chance to have deitrus build up in it. Also the seaflor has alot of settlement that you will see everytime you vacumn for awhile. Its all about personal preferences and like most of us, its trail and error. You learn as you go along. Gud look, and looking forward to the finished product.
Old 09-14-2014
MattB

Well its wet! Should clear up soon, I guess I didn't wash the substrate as good as I thought. And you are correct Troyale, I may end up taking some substrate out. It didn't settle as much as I thought. I just wanted to make sure it was deep enough to hide the gap at the bottom of the background which is close to 2". Tank is being seeded now so it won't be long now! Should go fairly quick.

I'm ordering some rails currently to make a screen top for the tank that I can throw on at night and when I'm not at home. Still going to get a bit more rock as well, I was just ready to get the filters running and seeded and the tank wet!

Thats my HOT magnum on the left, just on to clear the tank up.
Old 09-16-2014
Cichlid Lips

Keeping: Duboisi Maswa, Kasanga Red Rainbow, Moorii Livua, Kiriza, Bula Point, Nkonde

Tank is looking killer!

What kind of fish r we getting?
Old 09-17-2014
Mastiffman

I Agree!

Looking Awesome! once that thing clears up.... WOW!

Word of Advice.... Definitely want to at least get some Light defuser/egg crate from the hardware store to put on top of that thing. Especially with Ikola!? my originally colony was 22 when I got them as fry and the top males eventually "evicted" 5-6 males from the group over the course of a couple of years. Through little tiny openings as well...