Home Forum Articles Sponsors Affiliates CP Map Chat FAQ TOS
Go Back   Trophs.com > Tropheus Forums > Tropheus Tanks & Equipment

Notices

Tropheus Tanks & Equipment Discussion of tanks, filters, heaters, lighting, UV and other equipment.

Old 08-04-2014
MattB

::Profile::
Keeping: Ilangi

What would everyone suggest as far as Eheim 2217 media goes? For the discus all I ever used was mechanical filter floss just to take the crap out of the water. I have an excess amount of these little Eheim Mech rings and Eheim substrat that came with the filter and I never used. How should I be layering this filter? And how often do I need to be popping these open to clean them?

I also have a HOT Magnum that I used to polish my discus water I can add into the filtration mix for up above.
Old 08-10-2014
MattB

Took the first step towards this tank the last few days. Agreed with a friend on a price for the wild discus and have setup a time to hand them off this coming weekend. After that I can start putting together the tank for Trophs! Best part is most of the cost for the changeover will be covered by the wild discus sale.

Also found a FX5 canister for one heck of a price, thinking about pulling the trigger on it. Big filter for a bigger tank but it would really turn my water over well.
The Following User Says Thank You to MattB For This Useful Post:
Cichlid Lips (08-10-2014)
Old 08-10-2014
Cichlid Lips

Keeping: Duboisi Maswa, Kasanga Red Rainbow, Moorii Livua, Kiriza, Bula Point, Nkonde

I use an FX6 in combination with a large trickle filter. I have heard nothing but good things from the FX5 and I know several here use them. If it's a good deal I'd jump on it too.
Old 08-10-2014
dahling

Keeping: Kasanga, Mpulungu

I've had both the FX5 and 2217 filters...still using the 2217's for non troph tanks. Pros and cons to both. One 2217 has about the same media capacity as an FX5, but flow rate is much higher with the FX5. If you need extra flow, throw in a power head or 2 with your eheims. There are successful troph keepers just using sponge filters too.

I don't like canisters either, but I find the 2217 much easier to service than the FX5. I'm using an eheim 2262 now with my trophs, so flow rate is comparable to the FX5 but media capacity is about 3X the FX5 and 2217. Do you need the media capacity? For me, it depends on my bioload and what filter media I prefer to use.

In my 2262, I'm using the eheim ehfi-mech (ceramic noodles) for mech filtration, seachem matrix for bio, cpr bio-bale for extra bio and mech filtration. A bag of purigen to help polish the water and control nitrates. 18 litres of media capacity is a lot and the canister is heavy when fully loaded with water. The matrix is supposed to help control nitrates too. I'm servicing that canister about every 2 months. I let nitrate readings tell me how often to service my canister - any longer and nitrate levels start to climb, even with semi-weekly 50% water changes. YMMV.

Either FX5 or 2217 should do you fine. Let your tank conditions/water readings tell you what you need to do..ie. extra water changes, filter servicing. If you hate servicing canisters, maybe a sump down the road or choose the filters that are easier to service. If you're going to a sump, I would just use what you have now and save your money towards building/buying a sump. For the 2217, use the media that you have now: the efhi-mech, the coarse blue foam, substrat for bio, and the white fine filter pad or floss, maybe a bag of Sechem purigen underneath your fine filter pad.
The Following User Says Thank You to dahling For This Useful Post:
Old 08-10-2014
MattB

Sounds good. The only reason the FX5 raised my interest is the price of it. $120 good working order, sounds like a pretty good deal to me. Guy is just closing down his fishroom and just wants stuff gone.

Right now I'm leaning towards just keeping the 2 2217s and using a powerhead or something. I can always add aquaclears and I have a HOT magnum.
The Following User Says Thank You to MattB For This Useful Post:
Old 08-16-2014
MattB

Well the discus are now out of my hands. Its officially the age of Tropheus now lol.

My to do list includes buying substrate, trimming 3D background that I have now so it fits better, acquiring rocks, cleaning and setting up the canister filters which have been sitting dry, re-configuring my LED fixture, and buying food to have on hand ready.

I plan to seed the tank with these sponge filters I have from the discus tank. I still have a bristle nose poop factory that I will put in a bucket with the sponges to keep them alive while I fix up the tank.

Project is moving! I'm getting excited now.
Old 08-17-2014
Cichlid Lips

Keeping: Duboisi Maswa, Kasanga Red Rainbow, Moorii Livua, Kiriza, Bula Point, Nkonde

Sounds like you're on a mission at this point.

Decided on which one/ones your going to try and keep?
Old 08-17-2014
MattB

Haha it is a mission!

I haven't fully decided though I'm leaning towards (rather narrowed it down to) either Ilangi, Red Rainbows, or Ikola.
Old 09-02-2014
MattB

Here is where I am so far. I trimmed the background and fitted it in. Its about 2 inches short from the bottom, that's how its made without paying for custom so I drilled holes in the bottom and added acrylic rods to act as stands that touch the bottom of the tank. The rods are also down into the egg crate I have under the substrate so they can't really move much. I have it clamped to the back at the moment though I am looking at other options. I just don't want to silicone to my rimless tank. Looking at magnets for the top just to hold it in place.

Substrate arrived today, washed it and got it in the tank as well. Over a sheet of egg crate to support the rocks. Tank is also sitting flush on a sheet of 3/4" plywood and a sheet of neoprene on top of that. Collected some rocks from a creek on Sat, pressure washed them and added them. This is a general idea of what I'm going for, don't want huge rock piles just something fry could get into but not adults and just add some structure to the tank, less is more. What do you think?

All that's left is to add 6 more LEDs this week, water, a cycle which I will seed soon, and fish. Filters will be hooked up this week and hopefully start seeding the tank then as well. Let me know what you think. I think I'll be adding a screen top as well for times when I am at work and at night.

Sorry about the reef tank reflection haha

Let me know what you think!

EDIT: Looking at it now I think I want to get some smaller rocks, vary the size a bit.

Last edited by MattB; 09-02-2014 at 08:32 PM.
Old 09-02-2014
dannyt

Keeping: 72 gal bowfront 22 F1 Mpulungu are in da house!!

Looks great Matt. I think the Ikola would "pop" better with the darker colours you have chosen. Very nice natural looking set up
The Following User Says Thank You to dannyt For This Useful Post:
AfricanDiscus (09-20-2014)