Home Forum Articles Sponsors Affiliates CP Map Chat FAQ TOS
Go Back   Trophs.com > Tropheus Forums > Tropheus Photo Gallery Discussion

Notices

Tropheus Photo Gallery Discussion Share and discuss pictures of your Tropheus and aquariums.

View Poll Results: Which Ikola Band do you prefer? The Wider or Narrower?
Wider Band 43 81.13%
Narrower Band 10 18.87%
Voters: 53. You may not vote on this poll

Old 06-22-2013
rhickman

::Profile::
Keeping: Currently DRY :'(

+1 on the two posts above me. I've never heard of wide and wider Ikola. I automatically went to Kiriza vs Ikola. It does appear that there are two different fish in your pictures MM.
Old 06-22-2013
MrFlow

Keeping: Pembas, Ikola, Maswa and Kasangas

Figures Andrew would make me question my colony lol now I'm not so sure which ones I have. It looks like I may have some of both. Looking at both I think the narrower band looks better. The contrast between the yellow and black is more intense. My question I guess is should these two variants be separated?
Isaiah 54:17 NKJV
Old 06-22-2013
noddy

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrFlow View Post
Figures Andrew would make me question my colony lol now I'm not so sure which ones I have. It looks like I may have some of both. Looking at both I think the narrower band looks better. The contrast between the yellow and black is more intense. My question I guess is should these two variants be separated?
Don't think so bud. I just finished reading up on it in the Aqualog book. Same fish, slight variations in a group just like any other fish. It basically says that when they are caught for export they tend to catch the ones with the widest and brightest band (as that's what the majority of buyers want). When they are bred in our tanks you can see the diversity amongst them in the f1 offspring. I'm quite sure at some point they gave up trying to catch all the same looking ones and that's what you see in the w/c groups. Enjoy your Ikola
The Following User Says Thank You to noddy For This Useful Post:
MrFlow (06-22-2013)
Old 06-23-2013
TroPhish

Keeping: Tropheus moorii 'Kasnaga' & Tropheus duboisi 'Maswa'

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mastiffman View Post
The Map that came with the Aqualog says that they are two populations but the Book doesn't mention this.

Just an observation I had............

The ones that Iv seen that were like the top drawing and pic were darker black and the yellow was more non transparent full blast...just like your pic.

And the ones that had wider bands had a more charcoal grey/black color and the yellow was more lighter yellow...just like your pics. These were also the Ikolas that Iv seen do that weird light color shift think when they go all light grey green. I dislike that trait. And another thing I noticed...the wider banded ones were bigger fish in general...and had a different body shape/structure. All just like your pics.

But whats weird is that the yellow did NOT go through the dorsal.

So I don't think either were Kiriza.

Just two distinctly different Ikola variants.

Did you also observe anything like what I mentioned, Andrew?

The number of fish observed was limited, so Im not saying my observations are the are on target across the board in every group...just the group I had.

John
Old 06-24-2013
Mastiffman

Quote:
Originally Posted by TrophAddict View Post
The OP was probably referring to the kiriza and the ikola kaiser I, or i might be wrong. I myself have never heard about these different in the band. from wide to wider
Nah, The First Group of Ikola that I purchased were back in late 2010. They were F1 and all look basically the same. They were the second pic.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrFlow View Post
Sorry about that Bother! Wasn't my intention. Forgive me for that.

Quote:
Originally Posted by noddy View Post
Don't think so bud. I just finished reading up on it in the Aqualog book. Same fish, slight variations in a group just like any other fish. It basically says that when they are caught for export they tend to catch the ones with the widest and brightest band (as that's what the majority of buyers want). When they are bred in our tanks you can see the diversity amongst them in the f1 offspring. I'm quite sure at some point they gave up trying to catch all the same looking ones and that's what you see in the w/c groups. Enjoy your Ikola
Interesting thing about all of this is that my first group is F1 from a former seller on this site back in 2010 and they all look very similar with Really wide bands. None of them have bands that are narrower and with really high contrasted lines posteriorly... But this last WC group that I purchased were All the slightly Narrower band with really high contrast in the bands. So I don't think necessarily that the exporters have given up catching the Ikola that look the same. I saw the whole group before purchasing them and there weren't any that looked to be different.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TroPhish View Post
Just an observation I had............

The ones that Iv seen that were like the top drawing and pic were darker black and the yellow was more non transparent full blast...just like your pic.

And the ones that had wider bands had a more charcoal grey/black color and the yellow was more lighter yellow...just like your pics. These were also the Ikolas that Iv seen do that weird light color shift think when they go all light grey green. I dislike that trait. And another thing I noticed...the wider banded ones were bigger fish in general...and had a different body shape/structure. All just like your pics.

But whats weird is that the yellow did NOT go through the dorsal.

So I don't think either were Kiriza.

Just two distinctly different Ikola variants.

Did you also observe anything like what I mentioned, Andrew?

The number of fish observed was limited, so Im not saying my observations are the are on target across the board in every group...just the group I had.

John
I know what you are talking about John. I have seen this in both my F1 and new WC Colony. So in my opinion I don't necessarily think that it's one or the other that holds this trait. Like any fish can, I think that it jus depends on it's mood at the time of the shots.

Here is a shot of the same Wider banded F12 Ikola group that I have. Lighting like with any fish was big part in making the yellow pop in the pics... Also fresh color after a water change...

But based off the Aqualog I think that I may just have the same bands in both the F1 and WC. But the WC have better contrast posteriorly. Reason being is that if you look at the pics, none of the Ikola in the F1 group that I have, has a band that is set really far forward like pic of Population 11.1.1....

I was considering selling the F1 group but they have decent band coloration for the most part. Ad there are only 13 of them. I could pick the best and add them to the group. Or simply swap out the males from each group and keep track of the fry.

Last edited by Mastiffman; 06-24-2013 at 01:24 AM. Reason: added pic
The Following User Says Thank You to Mastiffman For This Useful Post:
mohsen_j4444 (11-13-2014)
Old 07-01-2013
jucaben

Keeping: Moliro,F1 Chaitika,F1 Kalambo, F1 Ikola, F1 Bulu Point

Just saw the German Lake video that JimA posted. At the 4:20 mark is the Ikolas and it goes for about 2 mins. I noticed that all of the Ikolas in this video are narrow band. Makes me wonder if there is a different collection point for the wider band and no one is told about it? MM were any of the wider bands in your group WC?
The Following User Says Thank You to jucaben For This Useful Post:
Mastiffman (07-02-2013)
Old 07-01-2013
jucaben

Keeping: Moliro,F1 Chaitika,F1 Kalambo, F1 Ikola, F1 Bulu Point

Forgot to mention that I voted for the naroow band. I just like the clean look of the yellow with a alot of black in front and back.
Old 07-02-2013
Mastiffman

Quote:
Originally Posted by jucaben View Post
Forgot to mention that I voted for the naroow band. I just like the clean look of the yellow with a alot of black in front and back.

I agree. But, if I could find some wide yellow bands with clean lines on both band ends, I would like them more...

So based off of the pics of mine who thinks that my idea of really having both The Same Band in my F1's as my WC make sense? It's just that the F1 group doesn't have a very good band end in the back?
Old 11-05-2013
dww-law

Because Ikola is King!!!!
The Following User Says Thank You to dww-law For This Useful Post:
Mastiffman (11-05-2013)
Old 01-02-2014
rrraptor

Keeping: Tropheus D. Maswa, Tropheus Kasanga RR's,

uhhhhhh not sure, which ones do you think mine are in my avatar pic I used to breed.... JK I just like yellow and any other contrasting colors

3-WC White Calvus (trio)
21-F1 Tropheus RR Sub-adults
19-F1 Tropheus Maswas Sub-adults
1-55gl full of F1 white Calvus juveniles
7-Cyathopharynx Foai Sibwesa