Home Forum Articles Sponsors Affiliates CP Map Chat FAQ TOS
Go Back   Trophs.com > Tropheus Forums > Tropheus Photo Gallery Discussion

Notices

Tropheus Photo Gallery Discussion Share and discuss pictures of your Tropheus and aquariums.

View Poll Results: Which Ikola Band do you prefer? The Wider or Narrower?
Wider Band 43 81.13%
Narrower Band 10 18.87%
Voters: 53. You may not vote on this poll

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #11  
Old 06-22-2013
rhickman's Avatar
rhickman
Status: Offline
Senior Member
 
::Profile::
Join Date: May 2011
Location: Whitby, Ontario
Keeping: Currently DRY :'(
Age: 23
Posts: 1,273
Thanks: 114
Thanked 219 Times in 184 Posts
Default

+1 on the two posts above me. I've never heard of wide and wider Ikola. I automatically went to Kiriza vs Ikola. It does appear that there are two different fish in your pictures MM.
Reply With Quote
  #12  
Old 06-22-2013
MrFlow's Avatar
MrFlow
Status: Offline
Senior Member
 
::Profile::
Join Date: Nov 2012
Location: Rhode Island
Keeping: Pembas, Ikola, Maswa and Kasangas
Age: 39
Posts: 609
Thanks: 307
Thanked 96 Times in 79 Posts
Default

Figures Andrew would make me question my colony lol now I'm not so sure which ones I have. It looks like I may have some of both. Looking at both I think the narrower band looks better. The contrast between the yellow and black is more intense. My question I guess is should these two variants be separated?
__________________
Psalm 121:6,7,8
Isaiah 54:17 NKJV
Reply With Quote
  #13  
Old 06-22-2013
noddy
Status: Offline
Senior Member
 
::Profile::
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: Toronto
Posts: 898
Thanks: 0
Thanked 79 Times in 76 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrFlow View Post
Figures Andrew would make me question my colony lol now I'm not so sure which ones I have. It looks like I may have some of both. Looking at both I think the narrower band looks better. The contrast between the yellow and black is more intense. My question I guess is should these two variants be separated?
Don't think so bud. I just finished reading up on it in the Aqualog book. Same fish, slight variations in a group just like any other fish. It basically says that when they are caught for export they tend to catch the ones with the widest and brightest band (as that's what the majority of buyers want). When they are bred in our tanks you can see the diversity amongst them in the f1 offspring. I'm quite sure at some point they gave up trying to catch all the same looking ones and that's what you see in the w/c groups. Enjoy your Ikola
Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to noddy For This Useful Post:
MrFlow (06-22-2013)
  #14  
Old 06-23-2013
TroPhish
Status: Offline
Senior Member
 
::Profile::
Join Date: Mar 2013
Keeping: Tropheus moorii 'Kasnaga' & Tropheus duboisi 'Maswa'
Posts: 1,876
Thanks: 409
Thanked 359 Times in 262 Posts
Images: 116
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mastiffman View Post
The Map that came with the Aqualog says that they are two populations but the Book doesn't mention this.








Just an observation I had............

The ones that Iv seen that were like the top drawing and pic were darker black and the yellow was more non transparent full blast...just like your pic.

And the ones that had wider bands had a more charcoal grey/black color and the yellow was more lighter yellow...just like your pics. These were also the Ikolas that Iv seen do that weird light color shift think when they go all light grey green. I dislike that trait. And another thing I noticed...the wider banded ones were bigger fish in general...and had a different body shape/structure. All just like your pics.

But whats weird is that the yellow did NOT go through the dorsal.

So I don't think either were Kiriza.

Just two distinctly different Ikola variants.

Did you also observe anything like what I mentioned, Andrew?

The number of fish observed was limited, so Im not saying my observations are the are on target across the board in every group...just the group I had.

John
Reply With Quote
  #15  
Old 06-24-2013
Mastiffman
Status: Offline
Senior Member
 
::Profile::
Join Date: Oct 2010
Age: 41
Posts: 4,502
Thanks: 960
Thanked 889 Times in 733 Posts
Images: 17
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by TrophAddict View Post
The OP was probably referring to the kiriza and the ikola kaiser I, or i might be wrong. I myself have never heard about these different in the band. from wide to wider
Nah, The First Group of Ikola that I purchased were back in late 2010. They were F1 and all look basically the same. They were the second pic.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrFlow View Post
Figures Andrew would make me question my colony lol now I'm not so sure which ones I have. It looks like I may have some of both. Looking at both I think the narrower band looks better. The contrast between the yellow and black is more intense. My question I guess is should these two variants be separated?
Sorry about that Bother! Wasn't my intention. Forgive me for that.

Quote:
Originally Posted by noddy View Post
Don't think so bud. I just finished reading up on it in the Aqualog book. Same fish, slight variations in a group just like any other fish. It basically says that when they are caught for export they tend to catch the ones with the widest and brightest band (as that's what the majority of buyers want). When they are bred in our tanks you can see the diversity amongst them in the f1 offspring. I'm quite sure at some point they gave up trying to catch all the same looking ones and that's what you see in the w/c groups. Enjoy your Ikola
Interesting thing about all of this is that my first group is F1 from a former seller on this site back in 2010 and they all look very similar with Really wide bands. None of them have bands that are narrower and with really high contrasted lines posteriorly... But this last WC group that I purchased were All the slightly Narrower band with really high contrast in the bands. So I don't think necessarily that the exporters have given up catching the Ikola that look the same. I saw the whole group before purchasing them and there weren't any that looked to be different.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TroPhish View Post
Just an observation I had............

The ones that Iv seen that were like the top drawing and pic were darker black and the yellow was more non transparent full blast...just like your pic.

And the ones that had wider bands had a more charcoal grey/black color and the yellow was more lighter yellow...just like your pics. These were also the Ikolas that Iv seen do that weird light color shift think when they go all light grey green. I dislike that trait. And another thing I noticed...the wider banded ones were bigger fish in general...and had a different body shape/structure. All just like your pics.

But whats weird is that the yellow did NOT go through the dorsal.

So I don't think either were Kiriza.

Just two distinctly different Ikola variants.

Did you also observe anything like what I mentioned, Andrew?

The number of fish observed was limited, so Im not saying my observations are the are on target across the board in every group...just the group I had.

John
I know what you are talking about John. I have seen this in both my F1 and new WC Colony. So in my opinion I don't necessarily think that it's one or the other that holds this trait. Like any fish can, I think that it jus depends on it's mood at the time of the shots.

Here is a shot of the same Wider banded F12 Ikola group that I have. Lighting like with any fish was big part in making the yellow pop in the pics... Also fresh color after a water change...

But based off the Aqualog I think that I may just have the same bands in both the F1 and WC. But the WC have better contrast posteriorly. Reason being is that if you look at the pics, none of the Ikola in the F1 group that I have, has a band that is set really far forward like pic of Population 11.1.1....

I was considering selling the F1 group but they have decent band coloration for the most part. Ad there are only 13 of them. I could pick the best and add them to the group. Or simply swap out the males from each group and keep track of the fry.


Last edited by Mastiffman; 06-24-2013 at 01:24 AM. Reason: added pic
Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Mastiffman For This Useful Post:
mohsen_j4444 (11-13-2014)
  #16  
Old 07-01-2013
jucaben
Status: Offline
Senior Member
 
::Profile::
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Northeast Pennsylvania
Keeping: Moliro,F1 Chaitika,F1 Kalambo, F1 Ikola, F1 Bulu Point
Posts: 174
Thanks: 35
Thanked 37 Times in 28 Posts
Images: 7
Default

Just saw the German Lake video that JimA posted. At the 4:20 mark is the Ikolas and it goes for about 2 mins. I noticed that all of the Ikolas in this video are narrow band. Makes me wonder if there is a different collection point for the wider band and no one is told about it? MM were any of the wider bands in your group WC?
Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to jucaben For This Useful Post:
Mastiffman (07-02-2013)
  #17  
Old 07-01-2013
jucaben
Status: Offline
Senior Member
 
::Profile::
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Northeast Pennsylvania
Keeping: Moliro,F1 Chaitika,F1 Kalambo, F1 Ikola, F1 Bulu Point
Posts: 174
Thanks: 35
Thanked 37 Times in 28 Posts
Images: 7
Default

Forgot to mention that I voted for the naroow band. I just like the clean look of the yellow with a alot of black in front and back.
Reply With Quote
  #18  
Old 07-02-2013
Mastiffman
Status: Offline
Senior Member
 
::Profile::
Join Date: Oct 2010
Age: 41
Posts: 4,502
Thanks: 960
Thanked 889 Times in 733 Posts
Images: 17
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by jucaben View Post
Forgot to mention that I voted for the naroow band. I just like the clean look of the yellow with a alot of black in front and back.

I agree. But, if I could find some wide yellow bands with clean lines on both band ends, I would like them more...

So based off of the pics of mine who thinks that my idea of really having both The Same Band in my F1's as my WC make sense? It's just that the F1 group doesn't have a very good band end in the back?
Reply With Quote
  #19  
Old 11-05-2013
dww-law's Avatar
dww-law
Status: Offline
Senior Member
 
::Profile::
Join Date: Apr 2008
Posts: 1,031
Thanks: 3
Thanked 117 Times in 67 Posts
Images: 28
Default

Because Ikola is King!!!!
Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to dww-law For This Useful Post:
Mastiffman (11-05-2013)
  #20  
Old 01-02-2014
rrraptor's Avatar
rrraptor
Status: Offline
Senior Member
 
::Profile::
Join Date: Apr 2013
Location: Florida
Keeping: Tropheus D. Maswa, Tropheus Kasanga RR's,
Age: 43
Posts: 321
Thanks: 2
Thanked 70 Times in 63 Posts
Images: 8
Default

uhhhhhh not sure, which ones do you think mine are in my avatar pic I used to breed.... JK I just like yellow and any other contrasting colors
__________________
55gl/75gl/150gl

3-WC White Calvus (trio)
21-F1 Tropheus RR Sub-adults
19-F1 Tropheus Maswas Sub-adults
1-55gl full of F1 white Calvus juveniles
7-Cyathopharynx Foai Sibwesa
Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks

Tags
band, ikola

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
WTB: Red band Tropheus yellow band tropheus Yaouch Buy, Sell & Trade 0 10-27-2011 02:12 PM
tropheus sp red band bemba colony sades76 Tropheus Photo Gallery Discussion 3 03-05-2011 12:42 AM
WTB Yellow Band Trophues Duboisi williesand33 Buy, Sell & Trade 1 10-31-2008 06:49 AM
Bemba Orange and Red band difference blkg35 Tropheus Species & Variants 17 10-17-2008 01:10 PM
What happen to the Troph Dub white band delock Tropheus Talk 0 12-31-1969 08:00 PM


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 11:44 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2018, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.