Home Forum Articles Sponsors Affiliates CP Map Chat FAQ TOS
Go Back   Trophs.com > Tropheus Forums > Tropheus Tanks & Equipment

Notices

Tropheus Tanks & Equipment Discussion of tanks, filters, heaters, lighting, UV and other equipment.

Old 03-08-2013
GMfrontosa
Site Advisor

::Profile::
Keeping: Nothing at this time
Default 100 TruVu Acrylic Tank

I just want to share my fish experience with you guys...This fish hobby is very addicting I started with a 55 gal when I was stationed in HI and when i left to come to CA I end up selling it. I bought a 30 gal when i got here but it was too small. I got a 75 gal from a buddy of mine here and thats where my Trophs are currently in right now. I just bought a 100 Gal acrylic today for $70 dont know if thats a good deal but you be the judge..however, the overflow i believe is cracked in the bottom where i can see the last owner JB weld it (still holds water) and some scratches...I've been doing some research and i will go with NOVUS to polish it out...I will take some pix tomorrow and see if theres hope..i'm planning on cutting the bottom piece of the overflow and plug the drilled holes unless you guys can give me some better suggestions
Old 03-08-2013
JimA

Keeping: Red Rainbows inda house

I don't have any help on the repair but for 70 bucks, I would say it's worth it!
The Following User Says Thank You to JimA For This Useful Post:
GMfrontosa (03-08-2013)
Old 03-09-2013
John Irby

Yeah you can fix it. If you were to take pics of the cracked area I could tell you better.

But Im going to take a shot here on what I suspect is cracked untill you post pics.

If it is the bottom of the overflow...and that is a boxed in area...you can laminate a new bottom in it from the inside by cutting a new piece of acrylic that fits that space nicely(use a tablesaw) and weld it back in with Weld-On 16. (an acrylic welding solvent). Making the bottom within the boxed in overflow area two layers thick(cant be seen from the veiwing side).

Before doing this you may want to route out the original drain holes to a larger size so that you dont have to line up the new ones presicely. You may want to drill the new drain/s in the new bottom befor you install it so that it will be easier to clean up the burrs left from the hole saw and prepare it for bulk heads.

If you route out a lot of the bottom of the overflow box, you may want to save some of the scrap to laminate back in as support as acrylic likes to be fully supported. However, unless the acrylic bottom is super thin, you should not have much to worry about because of its small amount of surface area within the overflow box and the low amount of weight on it.
The fully supported thing mostly refers to the bottom of a tank because of its large surface area and weight load. But better be safe than sorry so it wouldnt hurt to support you new patch. Also its important that you put the patch on from the inside so that it is pressed into place by the water and not being pushed off the outside by the weight of the water.

Hope that makes sense. Its either dead on the fix you need..or Im not following you on whats wrong with the tank. If that dosent sound right, please post pics.

BTW...AWESOME SCORE on the $70 tank. It would have to be really messed up to not be fixed and polished. Sounds like it needs a little TLC. Enjoy the project.

John
The Following User Says Thank You to John Irby For This Useful Post:
GMfrontosa (03-09-2013)
Old 03-09-2013
GMfrontosa
Site Advisor

i dont think its really that bad...my plan is just to cut the bottom of the overflow where its welded and place my heater and filter intake tube so that its hidden and plug the two hole for the piping...will definitely take some pix tomorrow so that you'll have a better idea of what I'm talking about
Old 03-09-2013
electriceelcat
Site Advisor

Keeping: Wild caught chipmunks & wild Nkonde
Send a message via AIM to electriceelcat

How does the rest of the tank look? What caused the crack? I would examin the tank very carefully before putting fish in it. Good luck!
Old 03-10-2013
GMfrontosa
Site Advisor

[IMG][/IMG]

ok so here's the bottom of the tank where a piece of plastic was JB weld and silicone....

[IMG][/IMG]

and this is the overflow with a pink water seal JB weld...my plan is to cut the piece of the acrylic so it will be just an open spot..
Old 03-10-2013
GMfrontosa
Site Advisor

[IMG][/IMG]

back side of the tank...silicone and something else was used maybe super glue i dont know what i'm gonna do either take the piece of without cracking it or just drill a hole through it what do you guys think?

[IMG][/IMG]

here's the left side of the tank where a putty and a piece of plastic was used to cover the hole..
Old 03-10-2013
GMfrontosa
Site Advisor

[IMG][/IMG]

[IMG][/IMG]

ok here's a shot of the whole tank, i think it has potential I already ordered some sand paper 1000-3000 grit and novus polish..dont mind the stand i will redo it in the process..so what do you guys think about the holes?? I already got some bulkhead fitting and my plan is to plug the side and bottom and used the back for my quick water change...let me know if you have any other ideas TIA...
Old 04-20-2013
Gene D

Keeping: Namansi I, Kambwimba

What's the latest with this project? By the way what do they have you doing at NTC?

Last edited by Gene D; 04-22-2013 at 02:08 AM.
Old 04-21-2013
GMfrontosa
Site Advisor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gene D View Post
What's the latest with this project? By the way what do have you doing at NTC?
sorry for the late response doing training out here in the desert...I'm an OC/T (Observer, Coach, & Trainer) out here at NTC (National Training Center)Fort Irwin, CA...anywho I buffed out most of the scratches on this tank and i think it really looks pretty good I end up cutting a piece of the overflow where you see the pink putty they used to seal it...the previous owner I guess drilled it the wrong way too close to the wall of the overflow, so you can't even put the bulkhead in there coz it will not fit and for the other 2 holes they drilled i will just plug them in and install the bulkhead...my plan is to use the bottom hole to be my intake for my filter...inside the overflow where i will place my intake and heater coz it will be filled with water anyways and get it out of sight... I will not be setting it up it will be done once I leave CA and retire from the Army