Home Forum Articles Sponsors Affiliates CP Map Chat FAQ TOS
Go Back   Trophs.com > Tropheus Forums > Tropheus Disease, Health and Nutrition

Notices

Tropheus Disease, Health and Nutrition Discussion of Tropheus diseases, general health, nutrition and water conditions.

Old 06-06-2012
Hague1982

::Profile::
Keeping: Tropheus moorii Lufubu

Quote:
Originally Posted by dww-law View Post
Okay then don't listen to it It's a rule I have followed for years with ALL my WC trophs, petros and frontosa's. Over the years, there have been just few people on here who have killed just a few trophs by tinkering with their water chemistry. But hey, what do I know

not much if you're giving newbies advice like that! People who don't understand the buffering process by adding water or doing to big of a water change with water that has a completely different pH KH and GH level than the water in their tank will probably kill there fish due to shock. But trying to achieve the best possible levels we can by Buffering our water correctly and doing water changes properly.means we can enjoy these cichlids in all there glory then I'm all for it!

I'm not saying your friend wasn't wise I'm just saying it's bad advice! it's only good advice if your water from the tap is somewhere near lake tanganyika! then you're one of the lucky few!!!!! my water is more suited to south american cichlids but they don't interest me because there shite!!!!
Old 06-06-2012
dahling

Keeping: Kasanga, Mpulungu

Our local water out of the tap is soft and acidic, 10 tds or 0d GH, 0d KH, pH about 6.8 so I add in the recommended amounts of buffers and salts to replicate Lake Tang. waters.

Consistency is important and the use of buffers and salts is the easiest way for me to maintain water consistency. Everybody else's water is different, so YMMV. IMO, the long term effects of soft, acidic water cannot be healthy for troph's osmotic regulatory system, I prefer to err on the side of caution.
Old 06-06-2012
Mastiffman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hague1982 View Post
pretty bad advice if your wanting to keep wild caught fish in water that from the tap is 6.5 when there living in water of a pH of 8.3 and above!!!!!!

This is a good Point but I think that if the water parameters are Change "Gradually"... Then there is nothing wrong with changing anything with the fishes alotted range of parameters. The lake Tends to be more Brackish in many areas than completely fresh...

The Fishes bodies are Gentically designed to be immersed in a specific environment and althought they can survive in a wide range of water parameters, they will Thrive prolifically, Physically and mentally in optimal water conditions...

The reason for this thread was to discuss in a little further depth that General Hardness affects coor vibrancy in African Cichlids and which level would be best for Moorii...

If you have moorii and they seem to have fantastic color, then please share what testing results you have for your waters Gh and waht steps that you've taken to get it there IF Any at all...
Old 06-06-2012
Mastiffman

Quote:
Okay then don't listen to it It's a rule I have followed for years with ALL my WC trophs, petros and frontosa's. Over the years, there have been just few people on here who have killed just a few trophs by tinkering with their water chemistry. But hey, what do I know

Using "Tinkering" seem like a term used for Constantly Adjusting... but finding a the Optimal Gh for a specific Species, if done grandually, shouldn't harm anything... it's either one or the other...

lets keep everything calm and continue discussing.
Old 06-06-2012
Mastiffman

Quote:
Originally Posted by dahling View Post
Our local water out of the tap is soft and acidic, 10 tds or 0d GH, 0d KH, pH about 6.8 so I add in the recommended amounts of buffers and salts to replicate Lake Tang. waters.

Consistency is important and the use of buffers and salts is the easiest way for me to maintain water consistency. Everybody else's water is different, so YMMV. IMO, the long term effects of soft, acidic water cannot be healthy for troph's osmotic regulatory system, I prefer to err on the side of caution.
This is very true, regardless of the Parameters BUT as long as they are within the Appropriate range.
Old 06-06-2012
dww-law

Sorry you feel I don't know much and my advice to newbies is useless. I won't get into a pissing contest with you. Many people on this forum are very successful at breeding and keeping WC by doing exactly what I just advised. Some can successfully tinker with their water, others can't. My success at breeding trophs and petros for years speaks for itself. People can take it or leave it. I suspect a few people on here have benefited from my advise in the past and will continue to do so. No need for the attacks. Like I said you don't have to take any advise I give.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hague1982 View Post
not much if you're giving newbies advice like that! People who don't understand the buffering process by adding water or doing to big of a water change with water that has a completely different pH KH and GH level than the water in their tank will probably kill there fish due to shock. But trying to achieve the best possible levels we can by Buffering our water correctly and doing water changes properly.means we can enjoy these cichlids in all there glory then I'm all for it!

I'm not saying your friend wasn't wise I'm just saying it's bad advice! it's only good advice if your water from the tap is somewhere near lake tanganyika! then you're one of the lucky few!!!!! my water is more suited to south american cichlids but they don't interest me because there shite!!!!
Old 06-06-2012
Hague1982

it's not an Attack what you said whas bad advice IMO! plus i've only got 6 1/4" so theres not much to measure!

Fish breeding isn't a sign of keeping them in optimal conditions or that there thriving , it's a natural drive to repoduce no matter what enviroment a fish/fishes are placed in!

Just out of a matter of interest what is your pH, GH and KH etc dww-law?

just to note what you said dww-law is still terrible advice, no matter what context you try and put it in!

i'm sure theres not that many irresponsible tanganyikan keepers who don't check there water parameters!
Old 06-06-2012
dww-law

Okay you win. My fish don't thrive. I don't no what I am talking about so please don't listen to me. When people asked my opinion I will refer them to you since you know better than anyone. Anyone who has an opinion opposite of you is wrong.
The Following User Says Thank You to dww-law For This Useful Post:
Old 06-06-2012
Hague1982

Quote:
Okay you win. My fish don't thrive. I don't no what I am talking about so please don't listen to me. When people asked my opinion I will refer them to you since you know better than anyone. Anyone who has an opinion opposite of you is wrong.
as long as you realise that and now address me as your royal highness or Hague master of the universe i don't mind!

no seriously though don't take it personal!
Old 06-06-2012
Mastiffman

Well When I think of Thriving Tropheus... I picture Naturally Fast Growing fish that are healthy, Colorful, Reproducing regularly AND Live Long Lives!

Would a young Couple, that had a few children, but look "okay" in health and then die at a young age from being in lacking in quality environmental conditons be considered "Thriving"?