Home Forum Articles Sponsors Affiliates CP Map Chat FAQ TOS
Go Back   Trophs.com > Tropheus Forums > Tropheus Tanks & Equipment

Notices

Tropheus Tanks & Equipment Discussion of tanks, filters, heaters, lighting, UV and other equipment.

Old 04-24-2009
tonyboy

::Profile::

hello,this is all new to me,not keeping fish (29 years) just tropheus,just started to cycle my tank a aqua medic percula 90 (36x24x24) filled the rear compartment with bio balls and sponge cubes,fluval 303 external with snithered glass ,used coral sand as a buffer with marine sand on top large peices slate and cobble stone ,just wondered how many tropheus ikola i could fit in ,whats the best temp to run at,and would a couple of syno cats be ok to start the cycling stage,thanks tony,ps great site
Old 04-25-2009
marksp

Hi

36x24x24 will be about 36x24x19 after allowing for water line and substrate and a few rocks - about 70 US Gallons which is a bit on the small side IMPO.

I would suggest 12-14 fish of one variety and I would recommend fry which are used to being in tanks that can grow up in that space and be used to it. Fry can look a bit silly to start with but it all looks very different after 6 months when you have 3 " fish and they will be 5" by 18 months

Re the synos.............I love petricola, they stay small, ignore the trophs and the trophs ignore them. I would add 2-3 in a tank of that size but not to cycle it. I have 4 in a 6x2x2 and they all live together in the same rock cluster

Cycle the tank with mature filter media or, if you can't get it. run your external on a 5-10G container (a water can is good) - add dead prawns and let if fester and cycle that way. It works wonders and gives you a filter that has a big load of bacteria when you transfer it to your proper tank

For crushed coral to work as a buffer it needs to be in water flow so ...either add it to the filter or get it near an outflow in some way. You could add a Fluval 2 sized filter with crushed coral.

Only my thoughts, I am sure other people think differently
Old 10-06-2009
rtague

So how many Ikola Kaiser for a 125 72x 18?.I have 25 @1.5''-2''.I was thinking of upping the number to 35.Filtration is xp3 x2 ,ac 110 x3.W/C is 50% weekly.
Old 10-06-2009
cricket355

Keeping: Pemba orange flame

I have a125g with 17 juvie bemba flame. I don't know if I want to add more trophs. since these are doing well and I'm thinking that the numbers will increase when they breed(positive thinking.
Somtimes I think that the numbers are too small and I will have trouble in the future. If I do decide to add more fish I would want to add duboisi(spelling) but, from what I read I don't know whether this would cut down on aggression among the bembas since they are a completely different colony from duboisi.
Would appreciate any help.
Old 10-07-2009
rtague

Thanks cricket355,yeah I'm afraid of agression issues with only 25 in a 125g.Anyone else with a 125g species tank ?.I'm curious to hear what kind of numbers you guys are keeping.Thanks
Old 11-29-2009
yonk420

24tropheus, I am curious as to how often you were doing you water changes in you 36"x15"x18"? Also, what kind of fitration were you running? I only ask because that is the same size tank I have right now and I am wanting to do trophs but still haven't figured out which ones yet.
Old 11-29-2009
mr semper

I have 54 Tropheus Lufubu in a 90 gallon Oceanic Bowfront tank

Have had good luck with 4 foot tanks as most people in Houston know

Here are some of them

I will try to take a FTS soon

Old 11-29-2009
yonk420

beautiful fish mr semper
Old 08-19-2010
Doc_Polit

My turn to play along......

What is your "ideal" number of Tropheus to share 180-gallon (6' long) with 6 Eretmodus Cyanostictus?

I presently keep F1 Bulu Points (Cherry Spots) and will either add more or add a colony of Duboisis.

Thanks
Old 08-19-2010
Mr. Johnson

Send a message via AIM to Mr. Johnson

40-50 fish