Home Forum Articles Sponsors Affiliates CP Map Chat FAQ TOS
Go Back   Trophs.com > Tropheus Forums > Tropheus Tanks & Equipment

Notices

Tropheus Tanks & Equipment Discussion of tanks, filters, heaters, lighting, UV and other equipment.

Old 05-15-2008
hanoijim

::Profile::

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Mark @ Dec 27 2006, 02:09 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
Quote:
Is there a recommended size for a Troph tank?

Say I had a colony of 15, would a 75g be alright?[/b]
I`d say a 75g would be absolutely fine for a colony of 15 Trophs. I currently keep 15 Tropheus Moorii "Moliro" in a 260L tank (about 69g) and they are perfectly happy. The advice I`ve always read about any Tropheus suggests that an absolute minimum tank size should be 200L.

Having said all that, I wouldn`t go below 250L from a personal point of view. Whatever the advice, I think a 75g fits the bill well - so, best of luck with it!

JamesD (hanoijim).
Old 05-15-2008
kolopedo

I keep 25 Red Rainbows in a 120g (60"x18x26)...They are thriving and growing rapidly. I had a dozen petricola in there as well but decided to remove them when I had to "Clout" the tank. The trophs arrived in pretty rough shape and I didn't want to take any chances.

Anyone have experience using CLOUT with scaleless scavengers present? The directions state to remove any so I have never taken the risk.

. .`.. ><((((>`..`..`...><((((>
><((((>`..`..`...><((((>.
`.. , . .`.. ><((((>`..`..`...><((((>
Old 05-16-2008
BrownBullhead

kolopedo: Sorry, I don't have an answer about the Clout; I've always preferred Metronidazole for the reasons challenging you. You can safely "overdose" with it, and I've yet to kill any Tropheus tankmates via its use. I cannot say the same for Clout.
Old 07-19-2008
foley

I'm about to start up a 295G (1120L) tank and would like your opinon on the size subject. is this tank big enough to have a small group og Tropheus ' cause i don't like the idea of a too crowded tank.

I will put some other species in this tank a$$ well...
Old 07-19-2008
t-position

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(foley @ Jul 19 2008, 02:52 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
Quote:
I'm about to start up a 295G (1120L) tank and would like your opinon on the size subject. is this tank big enough to have a small group og Tropheus ' cause i don't like the idea of a too crowded tank.

I will put some other species in this tank a$$ well...[/b]
foley, a friend of mine had a 300 gallon tanganikan community tank with 15 kasangas and it worked out fine. the trophs got huge but they did not seem to spawn a lot. they started spawning right away when i got those fish from him and now they belong to mark (developer and administrator of this site).
<span style="color:#ff8c00"><span style="color:#000000"><span style="color:#ff8c00">showmethosekazumbas</span></span>!!!</span>
Old 07-19-2008
t-position

i like the six foot tanks for trophs. 125 gallon tanks are nice because they are so easy to clean, maintain and move. i have 4-75 gallon tanks though which i have had no problem with and i am of the "overcrowding" theory. i have 23 adult moliros in a 75 and they get along and spawn quite well...plenty of males in there too.
<span style="color:#ff8c00"><span style="color:#000000"><span style="color:#ff8c00">showmethosekazumbas</span></span>!!!</span>
Old 07-24-2008
Mr. Johnson

Send a message via AIM to Mr. Johnson

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(t-position @ Jul 19 2008, 10:05 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
Quote:
i like the six foot tanks for trophs. 125 gallon tanks are nice because they are so easy to clean, maintain and move. i have 4-75 gallon tanks though which i have had no problem with and i am of the "overcrowding" theory. i have 23 adult moliros in a 75 and they get along and spawn quite well...plenty of males in there too.[/b]
I argree. The 6 footers that are 125g have a nice ratio to them. I'm sure the trophs like the additional swimming room also. However, I have a 75g and that seems to work fine as of now.
Old 02-14-2009
Mixalis

Hello everyone,
I'm kinda new and don't know that much about tropheus,my question is if there is any chance that I can keep a colony of any kind in a 40gallon high??
Old 02-14-2009
t-position

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Mixalis @ Feb 14 2009, 09:46 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
Quote:
Hello everyone,
I'm kinda new and don't know that much about tropheus,my question is if there is any chance that I can keep a colony of any kind in a 40gallon high??[/b]
hi mixalis! welcome to trophs.com! to answer your question on the 40 high, as far as trophs go, it would be a fine growout tank but definitely not a good choice for a troph colony. a 4 foot 55 gallon is the absolute minimum and still not really even a big enough tank although it has been done. i've had breeding colonies in a 55 temporarily and they spawned constantly but i did not like the tank size for aggression and seeking refuge from the dominant males. i've recently dropped all of my 4 footers for all 6 footers.
Old 02-15-2009
Mixalis

hi mixalis! welcome to trophs.com! to answer your question on the 40 high, as far as trophs go, it would be a fine growout tank but definitely not a good choice for a troph colony. a 4 foot 55 gallon is the absolute minimum and still not really even a big enough tank although it has been done. i've had breeding colonies in a 55 temporarily and they spawned constantly but i did not like the tank size for aggression and seeking refuge from the dominant males. i've recently dropped all of my 4 footers for all 6 footers.
[/quote]

ok thanks a lot...maybe I'll add some other tanganyikans then....