Home Forum Articles Sponsors Affiliates CP Map Chat FAQ TOS
Go Back   Trophs.com > Tropheus Forums > Tropheus Tanks & Equipment

Notices

Tropheus Tanks & Equipment Discussion of tanks, filters, heaters, lighting, UV and other equipment.

Old 02-23-2013
tiller25

::Profile::
Keeping: T. Duboisi Maswa, T. Moorii Kasanga, T. Black "bulu point"
Default Glass or Acrylic?

So I have been in this hobby for 12+ years now and have had all glass tanks. I recently purchased a 40g acrylic tank and set it up as a grow out tank. It is so much more clear and bright then my other glass tanks.

This coming summer I am planning a move and setting up a large 180g+ sized tank for my main display. Right now I am just trying to decide which would be a better investment, glass or acrylic. The main question is longevity, does acrylic last any longer then glass? I do know some people say they have problems with the acrylic scratching, anyone have an issue with is?

At this point I am leaning towards acrylic for three reasons:
1) The clarity
2) How light weight it is
3) This might be cheesy but...I do like the rounded corners

BUT....is it worth the extra $$$?

Just curious on everyones thoughts on this.....I feel a debate coming...
Old 02-24-2013
1971ls6

Keeping: Ikola, kasanga, Maswa

When I looked into my 90 call on tank, by the time I upgraded the glass to the clear stuff, the price was nearly the same. The acrylic scratches so easy. Do not waste your time with the acrylic magnet, it scratches it. If I were to do it again, I would do the upgrade clearer glass. I do like the acrylic hood and top, the small openings are a pain sometimes. The acrylic stad is very sensitive to vibrations
Old 02-24-2013
TylerB

Keeping: 25 RR

Acrylic is nice because it's strong and light but I think glass is the way to go. I think it's hard to tell the difference between the clarity of each especially if you use starphire glass or whatever it's called. The main negatives of acrylic is that it scratches so easily. I also find working with the cutouts on the top of an acrylic tank is a little bit of a pain compared to the open top of a glass tank.
Old 02-24-2013
ttsupra1994

Acrylic all the way
Old 02-24-2013
JimA

Keeping: Red Rainbows inda house

While I would agree glass is not as clear unless it's starphire, (major bucks) but overall not really that bad of a price, acryilic is the way to go, specially from a weight standpoint of a big tank. That being said one f,up and you scratch it, your not gonna be a happy camper. I also agree with the access to the tank with acrylic can be limiting.

I don't buy new tanks, but if I did it would be a custom starphire with just the starphire glass in front the rest would be std. They really are not that bad price wise.
Old 02-24-2013
#1 Cichlids
Site Advisor

Keeping: Tangs,Malawi,Haps

There are quite a few differences between acrylic and glass aquariums.
Glass is a long-time favorite of many aquarists because it is traditional and therefore has a loyal following. Aquarists who favor glass believe acrylic is a poor choice because it scratches easier than glass. Although this is true, the material has many advantages over glass.
For one, acrylic is 17 times stronger than glass, softer and more flexible than glass, making it highly impact resistant.
Secondly, it weighs 50% less than glass, making it much more portable.
Thirdly, acrylic insulates 20% better than glass, which reduces temperature fluctuations and saves on heating bills.
If these benefits aren't enough, the seams of these tanks are molecularly welded. The resin used to seal them chemically melts the two pieces of material into one solid piece for a clear polished seam that is virtually unable to leak.
Another advantage is that it has a transparency rating of 93%, which is as clear as optical glass. In fact, acrylic passes the most light of any known material. For all of these reasons virtually all modern public aquariums are made from acrylic. And while the material can scratch, scratches are easily buffed out without having to remove fish or water..
The Following User Says Thank You to #1 Cichlids For This Useful Post:
Old 02-24-2013
swk

For me, nothing beats acrylic. Can't fix scratched glass, and a few precautions can negate scratching acrylic
Old 02-25-2013
tiller25

Keeping: T. Duboisi Maswa, T. Moorii Kasanga, T. Black "bulu point"

Thanks for all the input everyone!!

I do like the fact that scratches can be buffed out. I had a beautiful oceanic 150g a couple years ago and my 5 year old cousin got a hold of the mag-float and put a nice 12in scratch front and center of the tank.

One concern is the cut out top of acrylic tanks, but I do like all of the other benefits.

Anyone else want to weigh in?