Home Forum Articles Sponsors Affiliates CP Map Chat FAQ TOS
Go Back   Trophs.com > Tropheus Forums > Tropheus Tanks & Equipment

Notices

Tropheus Tanks & Equipment Discussion of tanks, filters, heaters, lighting, UV and other equipment.

Old 07-02-2009
swk

::Profile::

hey everybody. Just wanted to throw my filtration plans out there for a 100 gal tank I'm gonna pull out of storage.

eheim wet dry-the big one. Have had it for years...love it

2 big sponge filters-no powerheads. I think they're great bio filters

Here's where things get a bit hazy. I want to add more mechanical filtration. Marineland 400's are cheap and i was thinking of running 2. Plus the bio wheel would add MORE bio filtration. Any other suggestions within a similar budget? I have a marineland canister but it is a total pain to clean and breaks constantly.

And lastly 2 rio powerheads for water movement. I can't remember the model numbers off hand, but they're pretty big.

Sound ok? Any suggestions or feedback is appreciated!

Thanks
Old 07-03-2009
billansor

Send a message via Yahoo to billansor

Hi there.. and Welcome.. in case you have not been welcomed

I personally like the aquaclears 110 or 500 (old model number ) They push out 500 gph and have a big foam insert along with bags for added things you may want to have in your system. They are easy to clean and just move a huge amount of water.. I use two of them in my 135 gallons along with a fluval 405...

Now you mentioned that you a pretty big wet dry.. How much gph is being pushed on that?

Also the sponge filter system is the only thing a fella up in Michigan uses.. with great success.... Do consider using your power heads to run the sponge filters... that will give you the best of both worlds..

From what it sounds so far.. You have exceeded by far, many of the people's filtering for the tank size you have... Way cool

What kind of fish are you going to stick in there??

Bill
Old 07-03-2009
marksp

Hi

A big wet/dry and two sponge filters is enough IMHO. You can have toooo much filtration as it doesn't get enough ammonia to establish a strong colony of bacteria.

20 big eheims on a 100G wouldn't be much more effective than 1 or 2.

Bill is right you might want to try using a powerhead on a sponge filter but I would only do that with one. I think the bio filter in the sponge is less effective if the water is ripped through

if you will start with 1-2" fish and get 6-8 from different sources so you keep a strong bloodline you can get a great colony of 24-32 fish that will grow in to the tank. Don't forget you have 100G nominal...all the substrate and rock plus the air gap at the top will eat in to the water volume so go gently with the rockwork
Old 07-04-2009
swk

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(billansor @ Jul 2 2009, 10:44 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
Quote:

I personally like the aquaclears 110 or 500 (old model number ) They push out 500 gph and have a big foam insert along with bags for added things you may want to have in your system. They are easy to clean and just move a huge amount of water.. I use two of them in my 135 gallons along with a fluval 405...

Now you mentioned that you a pretty big wet dry.. How much gph is being pushed on that?

Also the sponge filter system is the only thing a fella up in Michigan uses.. with great success.... Do consider using your power heads to run the sponge filters... that will give you the best of both worlds..

From what it sounds so far.. You have exceeded by far, many of the people's filtering for the tank size you have... Way cool

Bill [/b]
Its the 2229 Eheim wet dry canister. I believe it runs about 270 gph. Their theory is that the water runs through the media 2x so its more effective and therefore does not need to pound through the filter. It doesn't provide adequate mechanical filtration though and that is why I was looking into something to polish the water a bit.

As far as fish go I'm not quite sure yet. I've had some trouble in the past with tropheus, hard to believe I know. I was buying wild fish at the time. I'm thinking that perhaps I should try some f1 stock. I'm pretty fortunate in the fact that there are many sources for trophs in the area that I live (SF bay area). My mind is pretty open as to what variant I will keep. I've kept Mpulungu and Ndole reds in the tank before
Old 07-04-2009
billansor

Send a message via Yahoo to billansor

Ahh
You live in the SF area.... you have a fellow Tropheus by the name of Geost on here... He has petro's as well as trophs.... You may want to buzz him a pm... He is out of the area for the week, but is answering some of his PM's

Bill

Old 07-04-2009
TROPHS4LIFE

Keeping: Kasanga

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(billansor @ Jul 3 2009, 01:44 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
Quote:

Bill [/b]

i agree with bill, id take a ac110 over a 400,ive ran both,ac does a way better job imo,i run a layer of filter floss on top(for polishing),bag of seachem nitrate remover in the middle,and the large sponge of course,way be water movement and a little easier on the ears,both my show tanks are in the livingroom,and my gf wont put up with noisey tanks lol.........

CHAD